shape
carat
color
clarity

Tolkowsky halo 14k setting with sapphire- worth asking price?

ahixson

Rough_Rock
Hi-
Fairly new (never posted), sorry if this is in the wrong section. I’m looking to find out if this price is reasonable for this setting.
Pre-owned
No certificates from manufacturer, for diamonds or the sapphire.
They say the sapphire is approx 0.50 ct and that the diamonds are G and SI1 approx 0.50 ct. There are photos showing tolkowsky on the ring as well as 14k.

I think this setting is from here (hopefully the link works) https://usa.tolkowsky.com/collections/engagement_rings/991053719
And that someone had the diamond replaced with the sapphire. Here is the link for Kay’s that the Tolkwosky link takes you too https://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/r6-...gement-ring-3-4-ct-tw-diamonds-14k-white-gold

Now my concern is they list the diamonds as from Kay as the primary stone being .50 ct which would leave the halo diamonds as approx .25 ct. The person selling the ring is saying they are approx .50 ct. and I believe at a higher clarity as well ( SI1 individual vs L1 from Kays listing)

If that is the case (that the halo diamonds are actually totaling .25 ct and at the lower clarity) is the asking price still reasonable?

I know nothing at all about sapphires and really jewelry in general. Ive been reading about diamonds on here the past several months. When we first started looking at rings this is the setting I liked from Kays but we know that they way over charge for their diamonds. At that time we had asked if they would just sell the setting and take out the primary diamond but they would not. So when I saw this listing I was excited to see it. We would be changing out the sapphire for a diamond. Is the sapphire worth anything? Im guessing not much because there is no documentation. They do have a 30 day return policy too. Im trying to attach some photos, quality I dont think is too good.
Thank you for any help!

58A8F56D-8A7A-4375-839B-56CA8C77FAAB.png 9FBEB46D-E861-457E-B389-8CA7A7EC6DF4.png 0826D132-3C4E-4EDC-BF36-202B018D2E9C.png 08AC913D-B30A-4E1C-900D-99C044B17DC3.png C4883C17-D809-4402-B515-07B2840BBD8D.png

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, are you particularly in love with this setting / brand?
The other issue is that it costs $$ to swap out gems and sometimes the prongs need re building and that is another added expense.
So you will be spending more money on a used setting and have an unwanted .50 sapphire to deal with.
Without a report it could be manmade, glass filled or ? So selling it will be tricky without spending more $$ to get a report.
If you are just buying the ring for the diamond halo style, you might be better off buying a brand new setting, without any possible issues, with better quality melee (I clarity is low).
Recommended PS eBay vendors include DiamondZone (also called Ivy & Rose with their own website too) or Diamondmounts (China based) who can provide a similar but brand new and better diamond halo for your money.

ahixson

Rough_Rock
Yes, for some reason.. I particularly like this halo setting. I’ve been looking online at other halo settings and havent been able to find one that matches this one closely. I’ll look into the two places you suggested! Thank you for your help!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t actually see the asking price anywhere on your post but fwiw, I think it’s a beautiful setting and the diamonds look nice and bright in itl Has it been sufficiently discounted from the Kays price? I like the little violet sapphire too, you can make a pendant or another ring with it.

ahixson

Rough_Rock
Oops, def. missed putting that in the original post. They are asking $500.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything on the paperwork that says the halo diamonds total 0.5tcw. It does say the original diamond center stone was 0.5ct. I don't think you could fit enough diamonds around that sapphire to total 1/2 carat, more like 0.1tcw.

If there actually are 0.5tcw diamonds then $500 is not a bad price, but it's a bit high if only 0.1tcw.

ahixson

Rough_Rock
If it is the same setting as the link from Tolkowsky website/Kay website the tcw was 0.75. If the main diamond was about 0.5ct that would leave about .25ct for the halo diamonds. At least that is my understanding ‍♀️. Im not sure if it is the exact same setting but it looks very similar.

In the description photo for the used ring it lists the sapphire as approx .50ct and the diamonds as about .50ct (that is how Im reading it, maybe not correctly?).

Thank you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, def. missed putting that in the original post. They are asking $500.
I find this seller is fairly read In price compared to other sellers. However, if given the chance I think you could find something better on eBay for the price. Is this an e ring or a fun ring?
With some effort nice settings can be found on eBay for lower than this... or whole rings. Depending on your budget

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results