shape
carat
color
clarity

Today literally went to the birds!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to share some pictures of some feathered friends we visited with today. All these pictures were taken at a place called Parrots and Co. in Stamford CT. These guys were just out on their play stands when you walk in the store, there were many more but I was trying to avoid getting other customers in the pictures. Apologies as I don’t know all the names.

Red and Green Macaw
AB62591B-60E6-4F5E-9388-2A5A6C1919FA.jpeg

Scarlet Macaw
B3A625BF-4F53-461F-B0E2-76F6FFB43CBD.jpeg

Baby parrots, so cute!
EFC6E6EA-DFE7-4440-AAC5-BE692CF664A7.jpeg

Green Amazon Parrot (I believe)
BB694B54-0AA5-4E23-9C55-171371C75F2D.jpeg
Plum-headed Parakeet ( also called the plum-headed parrot which is more appropriate IMO considering the size)
C9896BE8-600D-4430-ACE6-177B1848154F.jpeg

Resident bunny
DC3BBCA5-D482-40FE-8541-1C23FF0395A2.jpeg

Sun conure
A3165B4C-B5A0-4287-BAF7-2017486DF70D.jpeg

Attachments

• DC8C3797-2585-4A4B-9C7B-2F32D6104A4D.jpeg
    DC8C3797-2585-4A4B-9C7B-2F32D6104A4D.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 452BCA66-1F9D-42D4-BE78-E66DE47A7A06.jpeg
    452BCA66-1F9D-42D4-BE78-E66DE47A7A06.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 9A7D423F-F639-4889-8144-A364B3EFCDC6.jpeg
    9A7D423F-F639-4889-8144-A364B3EFCDC6.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 19

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hyacinth Macaw, rare very expensive and endangered, beautiful colors, the picture doesn’t do this beautiful bird any justice.
9771AB78-46E6-43ED-8773-228F536C1567.jpeg

Indian Ringneck Parakeet
D7712457-0794-4D57-9249-EEDDEE0DB1F4.jpeg

Green Cheek Conure
C27DC81C-89D2-48BA-A64E-908C1DF89796.jpeg

Tortoise
7C37AEF6-FEEF-49D8-9294-E1779B400F45.jpeg

Cockatoo, super sweet I got to hold and pet him as you can see and he was spinning around, saying “hello” and “I love you”
C8341663-EDED-4936-B54B-8ACC52550122.jpeg

DH thought it was cute how he was looking at me here. I was told to take my glasses off and my necklace, he also likes buttons but I was safe there. The owner told me a woman came in dressed to the nines in designer clothes with a big diamond ring on her finger which the bird thought looked like a shiny toy and proceeded to snap the head off the ring! She did get her diamond back though.
D5190C69-7FB9-4BCF-A51D-1B35B70689D0.jpeg

He was more interested in cuddles than the glasses!
25B0B02A-68F5-48F4-B1F0-290C6EFAF82B.jpeg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope Kenny gets to see this he loves birds!!! My grandfather had a cockatoo, they have incredibly strong beaks if they are annoyed they can take a good chunk out of you if they want to.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope Kenny gets to see this he loves birds!!! My grandfather had a cockatoo, they have incredibly strong beaks if they are annoyed they can take a good chunk out of you if they want to.

Honestly the macaws scare me more than the cockatoo for some reason, maybe because I have yet to meet a mean cockatoo. The worst experience I ever had with a bird was a green cheek conure, he would just attack for apparently no reason, everyone says they are so cuddly and sweet but mine wasn't!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my 24 yrs old Amazon Blue front. This pic is from 2005 he/she still look the same today. Wish I can say the same for myself. :bigsmile:

amazon syz.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss Kenny. He had a parrot named Bibi, remember?

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty! You, Steph! Not the birds......

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire, beautiful bird and they are so smart, we have two cockatiels now and their favorite thing is to play peek-a-boo in cardboard boxes we put in the bottom of the cage.

@stracci2000 thanks for the compliment girlfriend! 8-)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
awwww I love parrots and birds SO MUCH! Trying to convince DH to let us get one but he keeps saying no :(

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
awwww I love parrots and birds SO MUCH! Trying to convince DH to let us get one but he keeps saying no :(

Is there a certain type of parrot your aiming for? I will say that they can be LOUD like when you are on the phone they will start randomly screaming like your drunk belligerent friend lol! Doesn't even matter how little they are either.

We have had a few species, lineolated parakeets, cockatiels and caiques (white bellies and black headed and a green cheek conure and by far the Linnie's were my favorite, they are very sweet and relatively quiet. We had a pair and one used to make kissing sounds at the other :kiss2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a certain type of parrot your aiming for? I will say that they can be LOUD like when you are on the phone they will start randomly screaming like your drunk belligerent friend lol! Doesn't even matter how little they are either.

We have had a few species, lineolated parakeets, cockatiels and caiques (white bellies and black headed and a green cheek conure and by far the Linnie's were my favorite, they are very sweet and relatively quiet. We had a pair and one used to make kissing sounds at the other :kiss2:
awww! Eh, not sure. I just really like their personalities and affection and overall spunk. I just think they are cool animals, plus they live like 20-40 years so it's less heartbreaking than dogs that die every 10-15 years :(

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly the macaws scare me more than the cockatoo for some reason, maybe because I have yet to meet a mean cockatoo. The worst experience I ever had with a bird was a green cheek conure, he would just attack for apparently no reason, everyone says they are so cuddly and sweet but mine wasn't!

Cockatoos frighten me more I've encountered several nasty tempered ones..... not the least of which was Wee Donald (said in my grandfather's thick Scottish accent)... My grandfather has been dead a number of years, Donald lives with my aunt she is the only person he actually liked apart from my Grandfather, the bird hated my grandmother and pretty well everyone else, we calculate he (the cockatoo) is around 50 to 60 possibly even 70+ years old. He was a youngish bird when my grandfather got him but he was the second not the first owner of him, and he got him when I was a child...

Donald's party trick was taking a huge gash out of anyone that he didn't like or if he was in a bad temper about something and then he would laugh mimicking a human laugh.... my grandfather could stroke him and talk to him and the bird would cuddle him and now my aunt but he absolutely hates everyone else.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs, this is so true, dog's need longer lifespans, there is nothing worse than losing a dog.

Yikes @arkieb1, I see where you are coming from with cockatoos, they are fun to visit but owning one is a whole other can of worms.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What fun @StephanieLynn ! I'm always amazed at the colors you can find in nature...these guys are so pretty!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love birds too. I would have one if I could, but my DH's respirologist says no.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've met cockatoos that were not great to visit either, I guess we see a lot of them at pet shops here, you stick your finger in the cage to stroke the bird and it goes to rip apart your hand..... locally in the city where I live (I'm an Aussie) lots of places either sell them as pets or have them on display.

I prefer to see them in the wild than in cages we see them wild in our cities as well as rural areas. When my son was little I walked outside and he was standing next to a Bottle brush which is a native Australian flowering bush and he was surrounded by a mob of rainbow lorikeets sitting in the same bush, like a halo of birds around his head and body.... Normally they don't allow people to get that close to them because they are wild but because he was small and into birds they seemed to know he wasn't going to harm them. I rushed to get my phone, because it was so cool to get a photo, but they flew off when they saw me move.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra, funny you mention your DH because the whole reason we were in this area was for my older son to see a pediatric pulmonologist. He has been tentatively diagnosed with asthma and allergies and one of the first things I asked the doctor is whether we would need to rehome the birds (because cockatiels are so dusty) but he said no, he was somehow more concerned with the cats and dogs but said that it can be managed and he will probably outgrow it, fingers crossed! At least you can have other furry friends, I know some struggle so badly with allergies they can't have anything, except maybe a fish!

@arkieb1 thats a cool story about your son and the lorikeets, they are such beautiful birds, I too am not necessarily a fan of keeping birds as pets (a bit hypocritical since we have birds currently). They should always be thought of as wild as they are never truly domesticated like cats and dogs but a lot of people don't realize this when they get one and subsequently end up surrending them which is both sad and unfair for the birds.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at all the pics, and I was like, "OMG, the buuuunnnnyyyyyy!!!" LOL

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at all the pics, and I was like, "OMG, the buuuunnnnyyyyyy!!!" LOL

I know!!!!! I wish I could have held him, he looked like a sweetie and I have to say they take great care of him, his cage was immaculate.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loooove all the colours! So beautiful! The green cheek one looks a little beat up though, is that how they always look? He seems a little homely compared to the others

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Oh. I loved your picss. The birds are so beautiful. I love to look at them, but once they fly I am afraid of them. I duck and run and behave ridiculously, but I duck outside if a bird seems to come fly at me. Don't know why. But love the colors and can watch them as long as they don't fly.

Annette

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hyacinth2_0.jpg
Fellow bird lover here!!!

The little guys below are baby lovebirds. They are one of the best species for pets IMO.
Cockatoos and Macaws will destroy your life unless you've got lots of room(s)
They demand so much attention.
Lovebirds have pretty much all the personality of larger psittacines, but make less noise and mess.
efc6e6ea-dfe7-4440-aac5-be692cf664a7-jpeg.700890

Nice Blue Front @Dancing Fire !!
I'll bet he talks a lot- hopefully doesn't repeat the nonsense you constantly spout:)
For example, I bet he loves a nice 60/60:)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@telephone89 the green cheek is probably on the young side, it can take a bit for their feathers to really come in and look right. Or he could have been picked on by his mates :mrgreen2:

@smitcompton, I think that's a common reaction, My SIL is the same way.

Wow @Rockdiamond, great pic, what a beautiful bird! Years ago when we went to the store they had a black palm cockatoo named Phantom, he was awesome but very intimidating!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of a black palm cockatoo.

IMG_5777.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will try to get some pictures of the parrots nest near me They're bright green. hard to get pictures because they're nests are on light poles. but my goodness come evening time they are LOUD!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Great pictures!

cheers--Sharon

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian, I don't know if you are in the U.S or not but here we have green parrots that nest on the utility poles known as monk parakeets or Quakers, they build these huge nests which obviously presents a problem for the utility companies.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an example of a Quaker nest. Love the expression on the little guy in the second pic :kiss2:

IMG_5831.jpg IMG_5832.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian, I don't know if you are in the U.S or not but here we have green parrots that nest on the utility poles known as monk parakeets or Quakers, they build these huge nests which obviously presents a problem for the utility companies.

I'm in Florida. those are so cute! I've not seen these in my area! The ones I've seen are much bigger.
I've never seen them on the lines ever. But I have seen them in trees, at the base of trees (which surprised me) and the squawks are unmistakable at sundown.

There's lots of cool birds down here. about 1.5 miles west of me you can see a flock of peacocks by the gas station lol I'm sure they have a home over there. Also Ft Pierce you can see them just walking around like its nobody's business.

But then again we have a little bit of everything down here :roll2: And they're saying that wild flamingos are starting to make a comeback here. Thats fine and dandy, but can we get rid of the other stuff...like the monitor lizards and the damn iguanas? ( I live by a canal and yikes they're big!) I want to include those big ass snakes too....

In Miami you can see Macaws. Invasive yes, but seems to be where they like to hang out most.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results