Toasted sesame seed oil

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking of trying it.
Anyone here use it?
What do you put it in and on?
Where does it not work well?
Is it only added for flavor when a dish is finished cooking, or can it be used as the only oil right from the start when stir frying?

Got advice on buying it, store, or online?
Does it have a long shelf life?
Do you refrigerate it?
Which brand?
Besides brands, are there different kinds.

Do tell.

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saute chopped garlic, diced onions and carrots in a bit of sesame oil, then toss with leftover rice, and a splash of soy sauce. So good!

IMG_20200112_173027295.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200112_174313320.jpg
    IMG_20200112_174313320.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 50

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't seen a lot of different options locally in terms of light vs dark - most of the ones I see appear to be the darker toasted ones that are used for flavour rather than a neutral cooking oil.
The main way I use it is either in a dressing/marinade with other asian flavours or mixed with olive oil when frying dumplings or meat/vege for stir fries. I'll usually start with olive and do a light drizzle of sesame towards the end so it doesn't burn.
It's a strong sesame flavour which skews savoury for me so I've never used it for sweet cooking (not something I do a lot of) but I could see it making a tasty take on french toast if you were using coconut milk/cream etc.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We use darktoasted sesame oil so often that we just buy a giant can of it. It can last for months if stored in a cool, dry pantry.

I use a drizzle of this and soy sauce to season cooked or raw veggies. I’ll sometimes add a splash if I’m making oden or braising some Napa cabbage.
1578876409195.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love toasted sesame oil! I use it when making stir fried vegetables with tofu. I generally start stir frying with peanut oil and add the toasted sesame oil halfway through. I store it in the fridge after opening.

Around here it can be found in all the supermarkets in the Asian foods section, or at an Asian grocery store we sometiems take a drive to.

Have you ever had seaweed salad? That is flavored with toasted sesame oil.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I use it, sparingly, because of the odor. But it adds panache to veggies or if I prepare wonton.

cheers--Sharon

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being Chinese, I grew up with the stuff and toasted sesame seeds.

I buy small bottles from local supermarkets as I do not use enough to justify getting a big can.

I only know of dark oil that is made from toasted seeds.

I use it at the end of the cooking process to add flavour to the dish when it is still hot, along with toasted sesame seeds, chopped spring onions and coriander.

I also like to mix a bit of it in dipping sauces.

One of my favourite is with dark soya sauce, chilli oil, toasted sesame seeds and black pepper; great with slices (medium rare) roast beef.

Other sauces where it is an important ingredient include satay sauce and a sauce for dunking food cooked in a steamboat.

When reheating frozen home cooked meals in the microwave, I would add a dash just before serving to add flavour.

Also good for cooking vegetables in the microwave by lightly dressing the vegetables in toasted sesame oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper beforehand.

Great for making oriental style salad dressings.

A few ideas that I can think of so far.

I am never without toasted sesame oil and seeds in my house as they are vital ingredients in anything oriental, along with garlic, ginger and spring onions, and chillies too!

I dry roast sesame seeds in a frying pan on medium, stirring constantly until golden, however they can be found already toasted in oriental supermarkets that sell Japanese cooking ingredients.

The only restriction is to avoid heating the oil in high heat as it has a low smoking point and can become bitter. So no deep frying or adding it to the wok or frying pan at the start of the stir fry process.

Have fun with experimenting with it.

DK :))

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should add that I use Kadoya because it’s good quality and sold in bulk, but it also comes in smaller bottles.

Another brand I’ve tried is Maruhon, and they offer four types from untoasted to dark toasted. The intensity of the sesame flavor increases with toasting, so this allows you to pick the right flavor profile to complement specific dishes. I’m not that hardcore but these are excellent quality.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to use it to stir fry French green beans. I steam them first, then I throw them in the wok with sesame oil, minced garlic, soy, and sugar (or Bragg's Aminos and Stevia, since I'm on a pretty strict meal plan). I toss them around on medium/high heat until the soy/Bragg's boils out and the sugar/Stevia gets a little syrupy. At the end, I add toasted sesame seeds and sometimes slivered almonds - it's DELISH!!

As far as the brand goes, I'm pretty sure it's just an inexpensive one. We bought some pricier oil once, and it tasted exactly the same to us... but, then again, maybe our paletes aren't quite as sophisticated. LOL ;-)

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't normally cook with it, but add it near the end of cooking, and pretty sparingly. It packs a punch! I find cooking with it makes the flavour deteriorate, even though it has a relatively high smoke point.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I’m Chinese/Japanese and Dh is Korean, so we use it in all of our Asian cooking. It is great in salad dressings (think Asian slaw) and a dash added in fried rice, noodle salads, can be used in marinades for meat. As previous posters have said, it is not used for cooking, don’t heat too high. It is mainly used for flavoring.

Adding that when it is used in marinade (say chicken karaage) the meat is fried in some other type of oil after marinating. For ,Most Asian flavored BBQ meat, the 3 must have ingredients are soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and Mirin.

Last edited:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Its so good. I make fried rice with it and have used it with Asian noodles. Use it sparingly.

Annette

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have used it in a number of recipes. I always buy it at Trader Joe's. It adds a lot of nice flavor to any asian style dish.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the helpful advice. :clap:
I'm gettin some today.

My mung beans are freshly sprouted, veges bought so I'm stir frying tonight.
Nom nom nom.:dance:

The sprouts were ready a day or two ago, but I'm not gonna waste them.
Also, this time I let more light reach them as an experiment.
You're supposed to sprout them in the dark so the leaves don't turn green.
They say it makes them bitter, but they taste wonderful to me raw.

We'll see.

PS Sprouts jpg.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE toasted sesame oil! I eat a lot of veges - especially greens. I'll often cook cauli and broccoli or broccolini cut into florets by plunging them into boiling water for 30 seconds, then removing them and patting them dry with paper towel (5 seconds of this will do - not something you have to be religious about), then frying them in sesame oil with a little salt. Also, if you happen to do keto, this fits in with that also. But delicious either way.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put it on sliced carrots or sliced sweet potatoes with salt and pepper in the oven until soft and it’s delicious and I don’t even like carrots or sweet potatoes

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The other half uses it when he's cooking Chinese
I like seaseeme seed bread buns but i find the smell of the oil quite over powering
i think a little goes a really long way
Your spouts sound delicouse Kenny

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the recipe, jaysonsmom.
Sounds good, but I'll substitute lime juice for the vinegar - which I don't eat.
I'll also be sure to not over-sprout the sprouts next time. :oops:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ran errands and visited 5 stores.
None of them had any of the brands recommended by y'allz, made in Japan.
And the price was through the roof.
Ralph's charged $10 for a tiny 250 mL bottle. :-o
WalMart was cheapest, $7.88 for 500 mL, but it was made in Mexico and likely processed with chemicals.
I read the best Japanese brands are pressed and don't use chemicals to extract that last 20% of oil from the seeds.

I'm not anit-Mexico. All my men are Hecho en Mexico. :lol-2:

Trader Joe's was sold out, so no yummy toasted sesame oil tonight. :cry2:

I'll just buy a couple types online.
Then I'll buy a large can of my favorite.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny - the small bottles are totally fine! You really only need a few drops or tsp so it lasts quite a while. It also prevents you being left with a giant bottle of rancid oil if it sits in the fridge for a while.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love toasted sesame oil! My first memory of it was in wontons my grandmother made for wonton soup - she added a little bit to the wonton filling, just enough to make me wonder about the source of that wonderful flavor. I think I finally discovered “what” it was when a package of “gourmet” ramen noodles came with a tiny ampule of TSO! :lol: I always have a bottle in the fridge now, grocery store brand. I also keep actual toasted sesame seeds on hand - they’re incredibly good for you, I hear, and they go well with TSO for some reason...

One of my favorite uses is with sautéed spinach. yum yum!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny - the small bottles are totally fine! You really only need a few drops or tsp so it lasts quite a while. It also prevents you being left with a giant bottle of rancid oil if it sits in the fridge for a while.

Thank you.
Very good point.

30 years ago I bought a gallon of soy sauce, most of which got so old I tossed it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results