shape
carat
color
clarity

To halo or not to halo?

alison_lea

Rough_Rock
Yes, the question that's probably been asked a billion times (my apologies)....

I have a solitaire ring with a 1.1 carat round cut diamond and a channel set wedding band in platinum. It's a simple set and nice, but I've been looking to reset it for awhile. I find that I scratch things (and people) with the prongs of the engagement ring and I've even managed to bend one of the prongs.

Here's the original set:

img_7038.jpg

Awhile ago, I found a Memoire set I liked, with diamond bands. They match perfectly, and while I wasn't totally wowed by them, they do look really nice, and they are less scratchy. The main reason I didn't go with them right away was the cost--it wasn't that they were too expensive, but they seemed a bit pricey for what they were. I'd definitely get the band to match the ring, but the band was over $3k for something that seemed like it should cost less. I got tired of looking around and not finding anything I liked better though so I decided to bite the bullet and go with that set regardless of my issue with value. The plan was go into the jewelry store and just order it if I didn't find anything that made me say "Wow", and I didn't expect to find anything since I've been looking for months.

img_4220_1.jpg

So, I went to the jewelry store to order them. I passed by the Ritani case on the way to the Memoire one and found this halo ring. When I tried it on, I said "hey, that looks really nice! I like it!". I got to the Memoire case to try on the set to compare. The band I liked (the one in the picture) wasn't in stock so the one I tried on didn't match nearly as nicely which I think skewed my perception, I decided I liked the halo better, and (with two screaming children), quickly decided upon this Ritani Masterwork halo ring. Mine would be a little smaller due to the center stone being smaller than the CZ the store had on display.

img_7030_0.jpg

SO, now I'm realizing just how trendy halo rings are. Nobody I know has one-most of the people I know have been married since before the halo trend came to be. However, I know that they've been really "in" for a few years now, and I'm worried about having the ubiquitous ring of 2012-2014. Is the Ritani halo different enough that even if it looks dated in a few years, it'll still look nice? Is Memoire worth the money, and is that style better overall for years of wear? I know it's important to get what you like regardless of trends, especially since rings can be reset...but now I'm second guessing my impulsive decision. Opinions on either of the rings? Thanks!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The memoire set is more classic however the halo sure has a lot of finger coverage! Get what you love! You can change it again in 10 years.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, take some time to figure out what you actually want. Nevermind whether a halo is trendy or not. What do you like? Ignore the trend and just figure out what would make you happy every time you stare at your finger. It took me over 2 years to figure out a halo is not for me. For you, this may be it. Good luck!

alison_lea

Rough_Rock
Thanks to both of you for the responses...I'll see how the halo goes (it should arrive in 3-4 weeks). I've been trying to pick out a setting for 4 years so hopefully I chose the one that'll make me stop looking! It did look nice and feminine on my big man hands, which is nice :) Plus, if I do decide a few years down the road that I want a more classic style, I know I'll still love the halo setting with a colored stone--it'll make a great RHR or gift for one of my girls!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Information on PS helped me source my EC as a 40th birthday present to myself back in 2004, and I made the mistake of not having more input in the ring setting for the stone, resulted in a bezel solitaire that does not thrill me as it does not provide sufficient finger coverage as a RHR for my chunky middle finger.

Since then I had been thinking about how to reset the EC to do it justice, and it has taken me 10 years to make up my mind on the new ring design, collecting many pics of EC diamond and CS rings that I came across on the web that I liked.

It will be a halo with an air line gap, with a plain comfort fit shank 5mm reducing to 3mm at the base, no millgrain, and as low profile as possible, regardless of fashion or other trends.

The first CAD had a narrower shank at 3.5mm reducing to 2mm at the base, and it looked rather weedy to me. So I requested for the width to be increased to 5mm as I like lots of shiny white metal, and the revised CAD looked perfect to me.

A big deposit paid, and hopefully, I shall have the EC reset in time for my 50th birthday celebrations, can't wait! :bigsmile:

Based on my own experience, my advice to the OP is to take your time to decide on what you like, taking your lifestyle into consideration, and ignore trends that come and go. Good luck with your reset.

DK :))

alison_lea

Rough_Rock
dk168|1417643494|3794702 said:
Information on PS helped me source my EC as a 40th birthday present to myself back in 2004, and I made the mistake of not having more input in the ring setting for the stone, resulted in a bezel solitaire that does not thrill me as it does not provide sufficient finger coverage as a RHR for my chunky middle finger.

Since then I had been thinking about how to reset the EC to do it justice, and it has taken me 10 years to make up my mind on the new ring design, collecting many pics of EC diamond and CS rings that I came across on the web that I liked.

It will be a halo with an air line gap, with a plain comfort fit shank 5mm reducing to 3mm at the base, no millgrain, and as low profile as possible, regardless of fashion or other trends.

The first CAD had a narrower shank at 3.5mm reducing to 2mm at the base, and it looked rather weedy to me. So I requested for the width to be increased to 5mm as I like lots of shiny white metal, and the revised CAD looked perfect to me.

A big deposit paid, and hopefully, I shall have the EC reset in time for my 50th birthday celebrations, can't wait! :bigsmile:

Based on my own experience, my advice to the OP is to take your time to decide on what you like, taking your lifestyle into consideration, and ignore trends that come and go. Good luck with your reset.

That sounds amazing--I hope you post some pictures when it arrives!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will do I promise.

Don't want to jinx the project by posting the CADs in advance, as I have heavy outgoings in the next two months.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you should just get what you love and don't worry about trends, as others have said you can always change your setting down the road - I reset my old cut diamond into a halo and I love it! Lots of sparkle and finger coverage - please post pics of your ring when you get it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with LLJsmom, DK and Junebug and everyone else. Get what you love and don't give a thought to the trends. Getting what you love is always in style IMO. And just one more thing to add....you do NOT have man hands LOL. Your fingers look lovely and slender! Both the Ritani halo and your solitaire look gorgeous on you.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I recently reset my diamond into that exact Ritani halo, and I couldn't be happier with it! I get compliments every day, and I have been so impressed with the craftsmanship. The stones are incredible, and the prongs are perfect. You will LOVE it!!!! I found that this setting was the perfect balance of letting my diamond shine, but also providing a " wow" setting. :appl: :love:

Here is my thread (but I will preface it by saying that the photos really do not do it justice):

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ritani-cushion-halo-reset-is-here.192869/

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a biased self confessed bling W@#$% so I'd go for the halo in a heartbeat, more finger coverage, more bling overall and honestly it looks GREAT on you!!!! And if you hate it in 10 years change the setting again then.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
For your diamond, I am leaning towards a halo although I usually like e-rings as solitaires. Can you get a thinner halo and band?

alison_lea

Rough_Rock
I did see a daintier Ritani....

image_2665.jpg

This is not my a pic of my hand...found it here on PS for an "in person" view.

image_2667.jpg

It looks great on her but I'm so used to wider bands on myself. This is one I saw awhile ago and was undecided about. Pic is blurry and rotated :( but it's a smaller halo and plain band.

image_2668.jpg

Thanks again for all of the feedback..the more I look at it the more I undeniably love the halo for my diamond!

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love a halo so much! I was worried it was too popular but honestly it's just a beautiful look
So I don't care!

DiamondBaby

Shiny_Rock
I have a ring similar to yours 1.13ct 6 prong Tiffany setting. I am in the process of resetting to into a halo with a difference!!! The inspiration is the attached photo.

I will be adding ten 10 pointers around it. I love the halo, but wanted something slightly different!. I wear it with 2 plain bands and 2 channel set, half eternitys.

I am undecided at the moment whether to change the bands, or put some diamonds into the new ring band.

The setting is being made at the moment, hopefully I will see it next week, then just add my centre stone to it.

I can't wait to see it!,, it's been a long time in the deciding, a lot of back and forth between the halo and a three/five stone.

_24922.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a halo! (...um, clearly) ;)) I also love the Ritani halo setting. As others have said, don't worry about "trends" -- the important part is that you love it. :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of a halo and if you are hard on your ring you may find that some of the diamonds may come loose. If you go the halo route, IMHO like Diamondbaby's the best.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As wonderful and helpful as everyone's opinions are, base your decision on what YOU love. Don't worry about trends or what others are choosing. Have fun choosing what you love! Can't wait to see :love:

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
I love the second halo that is more delicate!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Halos have been around as a "trend" for over a decade here on PS. I don't think they are going anywhere soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results