shape
carat
color
clarity

To certify or not? Mahenge Garnet

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I asked JW to cut me a nice Mahenge Garnet. Pics attached. I wanted to get your opinions whether I should certify the stone or not? I was thinking to send it to AGL. JW said he would be willing to provide me some spectra which are a clear indication of Mahenge Garnets. However, I figured all valuable stones would be better off having it certificate for my own records. Of course, there's a cost associated with it. What do you think? Any advice?

For those who are curious:
5.8ct
10 mm Round

Thanks!

GAR456.jpg

thorstedswife

Shiny_Rock
If you feel you need to then go for it . Since it is a bigger stone it might help with value and for insurance propose if you were to insure it . Good luck ;)2

Definitely get a report. 5 carat and such a great color should be documented for your ancestors to know what they have.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want it for insurance purposes. I only do so for certain stones (highly treated, incredibly expensive starting at $5K, specific orign, etc). FYI, I did not get an origin report for my 5 ct Mahenge spinel.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, let me say Wow! What a gorgeous mahenge garnet. :love:

I think based on the size and value, you should consider it. It will be useful for insurance certainly.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone. :kiss2:
I think you should do it if you really want to. With certain stones, I did it out of sheer curiosity. Was it a waste? Some would say it is, but not for me.

Sometimes a report helps to tell that stone's story better than you can.

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone. I think you guys made my decision quite easy.

I also realized one advantage. My mother-in-law passed now a set of pearl necklaces. She said it was real. But we have no idea whether it is real or how much it was worth. I think if I had a certificate, I could easily check for a similar piece online to determine a ball park worth. Now we have no idea what to do, and might even have to spend money for an appraisal. So I think a certificate would be useful when we eventually pass the piece on to someone else.

Similar to @chrono I would get a certificate for larger/more expensive stones. My threshold is probably much lower, maybe $1k or $2k.

Thanks again!

PS. Thanks! The stone looks great. Can't wait to see it in person!

Reactions: AV_

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Normally you get a lab report to determine heating or other treatment. There is no treatment for these garnets, so all the lab report is going to tell you that the stone is a garnet, which you already know. You have the invoice from Jeff, so you know what you paid for the stone, which is basically what the stone is worth.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am in the same with precisiongem. This garnet has no treatments made so just to identify this stone as a garnet it would be too pricey as I think. For sure it is your own decision and if you like to have one - do it. But certificate normally makes sense for detecting treatment/synthetic, origin or colorstatements. This garnet is a wonderful stone, but as you know it is a garnet and thats all you will get back from the certificate :rolleyes:

Oh, I missed that this is a garnet not a mahenge spinel. For garnet perhaps the AGL cost is not justified because there are no treatments (or are there?).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normally you get a lab report to determine heating or other treatment. There is no treatment for these garnets, so all the lab report is going to tell you that the stone is a garnet, which you already know. You have the invoice from Jeff, so you know what you paid for the stone, which is basically what the stone is worth.

This ...

It's not worth getting a lab report for a garnet.

I would only get a lab report for an expensive gem that is often synthesized or highly treated (rubies, sapphires, emeralds, alexandrite come to mind).

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone. I'm jealous . . .

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all the advice!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It being almost 6 carats and such a clean, well cut and lovely gem; I would send it off to get a report; not as to dispute Jeff by any means as he is forthcoming in all he knows of the rough and his very well cut gems. Heck I even have a couple of his cuts as I like his cutting and his choice of materials ...

It is not the norm in Mahenge garnet; as not many reach the almost 6 carat range that are that clean and well cut; with lovely color. I have cut over 100 and most were in the 2 to 4.8 carat range; and they are easy to get in the 2+ carat finished range. But not in the 5.5 to 7 carat range. I had a 13.3 carat piece of the rough and due to its shape and an inclusion in the wrong place it only yielded a 5.01 carat gem.

I have surely sent gems of less caliber to AGL for prestige reports not because there was an issue of treatment but it was a issue of rarity and beauty and I just wanted anyone that bought it to know it was not the norm so therefore it justified the report...

To each their own opinion; but just like me sending a 18 carat blue zircon to AGL; I know low heat is undetectable in most zircons; but it was that it was not the norm in a blue zircon to reach that size; lovely blue, and to be free of inclusions..

It also made the difference in making the sale and not making the sale... there is just something about having that little report... I have 11 going out to AGL this month; 6 will get prestige reports as to their size; but the reports are just an added bonus and assures the client they are getting what they thought they were from an independent party. I do not like spending that kind of money for plastic covered paper; when I have a good lab with challenger digital polarizing spectroscope, 100x microscope, GIA lab tech manuals, etc. but it is important on some gems to have it.

Just my 3 cents as you know there is inflation !

Most respectfully;

Dana M. Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dana, the difference is you are trying to sell these stones, so for you a report can help with the sale. Here the person just bought the stone, and unless they intend on trying to sell it, I see no value in having a report that will cost at a minimum with shipping $100 to them the stone is a garnet, when we already know the stone is a garnet.

Zannie217

Rough_Rock

I also realized one advantage. My mother-in-law passed now a set of pearl necklaces. She said it was real. But we have no idea whether it is real or how much it was worth. I think if I had a certificate, I could easily check for a similar piece online to determine a ball park worth. Now we have no idea what to do, and might even have to spend money for an appraisal. So I think a certificate would be useful when we eventually pass the piece on to someone else.

Similar to @chrono I would get a certificate for larger/more expensive stones. My threshold is probably much lower, maybe $1k or $2k.

Thanks again!

Zannie217

Rough_Rock

Thanks again!

Hi. I just joined IS because I recently purchased a Mahenge garnet/ diamond ring. I am a novice at buying gemstones and jewelry and am looking for advice. My stone was listed as a "Padparadscha color" Mahenge garnet. From just the research I've done this far, I'm guessing that's not an actual legitimate color category. The stone looks much like yours but only 1.57 ct. Yours is gorgeous. Can I ask how much you paid for yours. I only ask because I think I may have been charged more than I should have $1,295. Thanks in advance for any help and of advice you can give.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
JW said he would be willing to provide me some spectra which are a clear indication of Mahenge Garnets.

This is one intriguing offer...

Does any of the decent labs offer origin ID for these garnets? - asking for a friend...

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hi. I just joined IS because I recently purchased a Mahenge garnet/ diamond ring. I am a novice at buying gemstones and jewelry and am looking for advice. My stone was listed as a "Padparadscha color" Mahenge garnet. From just the research I've done this far, I'm guessing that's not an actual legitimate color category. The stone looks much like yours but only 1.57 ct. Yours is gorgeous. Can I ask how much you paid for yours. I only ask because I think I may have been charged more than I should have $1,295. Thanks in advance for any help and of advice you can give.
I'm shocked you paid over $1000 for a peach colored garnet that is less than 2 ct. The only kind of garnet that is that expensive, as far as I know, is tsavorite or mint grossular. Mahenge garnet should be around $300/ct in my opinion; they are readily available in a lot of places currently.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mahenge garnets in larger sizes are fairly rare. My first thought was it's a Mahenge garnet it probably doesn't need a certificate but then I thought about it and considering I'd guess it cost a lot for the cutting then for insurance it's probably worth it just to confirm what everyone already knows, and if you are a geek if it goes to a lab that determines what type of garnet it is ie Almandine, Pyrope etc that is kinda cool too....

Last edited:

gatacola

Rough_Rock
I'm shocked you paid over $1000 for a peach colored garnet that is less than 2 ct. The only kind of garnet that is that expensive, as far as I know, is tsavorite or mint grossular. Mahenge garnet should be around $300/ct in my opinion; they are readily available in a lot of places currently.

I think she paid that for the finished Mahenge garnet ring with diamonds, which seems well within the realm of possibility depending on materials, workmanship, etc.

Zannie217

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response. It is in a ring set in 14k white gold (2.84 gr) with .51 ct. In diamonds. I still think I may have paid a bit much. Thanks again for your input.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Zannie217
I recommend starting a new thread with pictures and details of the ring since I think most posters would miss your question. I'd love to see your beautiful new ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results