shape
carat
color
clarity

To cert, or not to cert, that is the ?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I just bought an unheated sapphire quite cheaply from Tan. The aigs brief is about the same cost as the stone itself with shipping. I plan to make a gentleman's ring with it as a gift. It is not a great stone. It is overly dark AND shallow. I expect the darkness to obviate the window. It does have a nice tone and midnight blue color. Does the aigs brief test for heatedness or only natural origin? Would anyone buy a cert for a stone like this at this price point? I know we have been over this many times but i can't find anything about it in the search with the new PS2.

unheated1_37sapphiregemburi.jpg

m_kluch

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't buy it

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,
I know you are aware of the shortcomings of the stone so I’m going to skip over that. At that price point, there’s really no point in getting a brief. The AIGS brief does not check for origin but will test if the stone has been heated or if it is a synthetic. My concern with the stone is that it will get much darker after being set, to the point of possibly blacking out.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono. Because the listing says the stone is unheated I thought to have a cert; just to verify the claim. The stone itself does not merit a cert anyway so it doesn't matter. The gentleman it will be for is very fond of this midnight blue but I will try to increase its chances of light use in the setting. I have also a bunch of 3mm dark blue sapphire rounds I salvaged from an ugly antique piece that I am considering to use as a blue/black halo, a surround really since the metal wont be separate.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a high powered microscope, you might be able to find traces of inclusions that prove the stone is indeed unheated.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results