carat
color
clarity

To Buy or Not to Buy: Vintage Pearl Necklace

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I use those buy & sell apps pretty regularly, and saw this pretty pearl necklace posted for sale for $80. I was drawn to the pink color, but the seller doesn't seem to know much about it except her grandmother bought it in the 1970s, the clasp is 14k gold, and her grandmother thought they were salt water pearls, but wasn't sure which type.

I currently have credit on the app, so it isn't reeaaaaly $80 (this is what I tell myself ) , but don't want to throw away the money if these are obviously awful quality or misrepresented. Any pearl experts care to chime in? :geek2:

Pretty please any thank you!!

20180416_200623.jpg

20180416_200640.jpg 20180416_200550.jpg 20180416_200604.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like a reasonable buy. I don’t think they will be salt water pearls, those a worth like thousands, so more likely cultured pearls. But being with a 14kt clasp and individually knotted they are of good quality, so $80 is a good price.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In the 1970s there were very few round blemish free very shiny pink freshwater pearls around. certainly not pink saltwater (unless they have been over 'pinked'). Not even a lot of good fakes which have survived looking good. May not be granny's.
And they need re-stringing

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Seems like a reasonable buy. I don’t think they will be salt water pearls, those a worth like thousands, so more likely cultured pearls. But being with a 14kt clasp and individually knotted they are of good quality, so $80 is a good price.

In the 1970s there were very few round blemish free very shiny pink freshwater pearls around. certainly not pink saltwater (unless they have been over 'pinked'). Not even a lot of good fakes which have survived looking good. May not be granny's.
And they need re-stringing

Thank you both for the info! Not really interested in re-stringing a necklace of questionable quality/origin, so I think it's a pass for me.

Buuuut I'm definitely adding a stand of pink pearls to the 'someday purchases' list :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results