shape
carat
color
clarity

Tips for a Massage

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif

I have an upcoming massage, and I always wonder what is the appropriate tip. I assume 15-20% as with everything else but never quite sure. On 1 hr massages that range from $70-$100, that seems like a lot to me, but I certainly want to give the appropriate amount.

What do you tip for a massage?

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Its the first time that I heard that we tip massage professional??. If you go to a registered massage therapist for medical reasons you don''t have to tip.I don''t and I have not heard of anyone who does?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it''s not a medical massage...but something for fun or to relax at a spa...I always tip 20-25%. For beauty professionals I think that 20% is the norm. And yes it can be a lot of $$$ but that''s the way it works. I think you can google tips for massage therapists and look up more information on what might be normal. My place is $100 for an hour and then I leave like $20 on top of that unless she was fab then I do $25-30. They only get a cut from the original $100 so it depends on what they work out with the massage place, but it''s a ''service'' so yes you would typically tip.

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 11:33:12 AM
Author: Mara
If it''s not a medical massage...but something for fun or to relax at a spa...I always tip 20-25%. For beauty professionals I think that 20% is the norm. And yes it can be a lot of $$$ but that''s the way it works. I think you can google tips for massage therapists and look up more information on what might be normal. My place is $100 for an hour and then I leave like $20 on top of that unless she was fab then I do $25-30. They only get a cut from the original $100 so it depends on what they work out with the massage place, but it''s a ''service'' so yes you would typically tip.

I agree with Mara - I would tip normally 20% and maybe 25% if he/she was exceptional.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice Scarleta, Mara and Patiently Waiting. Also, thanks for the site Mara. It was interesting and has EVERYTHING!

Not exactly sure in my case b/c this isn''t a spa massage but it''s not at a dr.''s office. She works out of a rehab. facility and my dr. suggested a massage due to stressed areas. I found her randomly on the internet. I saw her once before and just wasn''t sure so I did tip.
I''m guessing this qualifies as someone I would tip but just wasn''t sure.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
My massage therapist works independently (i.e. not in a spa) and visits my house so I don''t tip on top of the rate because she sets her own hourly rates. If yours is an independent such as this, it''s up to you. I always tip them in spas and such because the spa owner often takes a big cut...which is why it costs so much more! My in-home 60 minute deep tissue massage costs $70-80 depending on how often I see her.

~*Sarah*~

Rough_Rock
While I normally just lurk, I thought I would comment on this. My mom works as a massage therapist, and she''s done both medical massage and spa. Spas generally take out a LARGE chunk of money out of their hourly rate, for renting the room, supplies, taxes, etc and they don''t end up with much left over as pay, so tips are definitely appreciated. My mom had her own medical massage business, and again, taxes, rent, supplies were all deducted out of what she made an hour, so again, tips are appreciated. Sorry to barge in, but thought I would give my .02!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Around here, full hours are usually $50.00 for the typical Swedish-style massage. I tip 20% and leave $10.

I would adjust my tip to always be at 20% of the total bill, regardless of price.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts Sum, Sarah and Holly.

Looks like the majority vote is to tip so I will. I have a feeling the price is what she sets it to be and is an independent contractor vs employee but she did a great job last time so the service is worth a tip.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Wow, one of the perks of living in Smalltown, USA...
(awesome!) one hour relaxation massages here, in our lovely local day spas, are only $35!!! And you can buy a card for 5 massages for $150 (brings the price to $30 each!) I usually do that, and tip $10 each time.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 6:41:37 PM
Author: Lynn B
Wow, one of the perks of living in Smalltown, USA...
(awesome!) one hour relaxation massages here, in our lovely local day spas, are only $35!!! And you can buy a card for 5 massages for $150 (brings the price to $30 each!) I usually do that, and tip $10 each time.
I'm SO Jealous!!! I would love a massage a WEEK but justifying $120 a week is not in the cards for me. I can barely do it for once a month. But $35?? OMG I'd be there every other day!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
If you live near one of the massage schools, they have discounted rates for around $35 for a student and $45 for a professional. I thought they were really great and you can return to the people you like.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results