shape
carat
color
clarity

Tipping Etiquette

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm about to have a baby grand piano moved from the seller's home to mine, and wondering if I need to tip the movers, and if so, how much? They calculated the moving fee based on the size of the piano, the distance, and how many steps at each house.....so the owner who gave me the quote said the quote is inclusive of tax and everything. Just give the movers the flat fee in cash or money order. Does that mean no tip is expected?

I find it odd that I would not tip a plumber or electrician to come fix something, but almost always tip delivery men....why?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plumbers or electricians are generally self employed and don’t expect tips. Movers generally work for a moving company and are employees- so- I would tip the movers.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Plumbers or electricians are generally self employed and don’t expect tips. Movers generally work for a moving company and are employees- so- I would tip the movers.

In this case I think the owner and son ARE the movers.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it’s the owners then no tip..I would offer them a cold drink..If they are employees of the moving company then I would definitely tip.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
a paino !!!
those things weigh a ton
we dont tip in my country but id be giving them a box of beer and at the very least a long cold drink
its like the middle of summer for you guys

my other half is a qualifier tradesmen and is always appreciative of a cup of tea

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they do a good job and my piano arrives safely and they are professional and polite yeah I would tip.

I would be very appreciative if my valuable(s) arrived safely and would show that appreciation. I get that they are the owners and you do not have to tip but I am always appreciative and grateful when others do their job properly and professionally and sadly it is uncommon these days to get that so yes I would tip.

However @jaysonsmom you are under no obligation to do so because they are the owners and you are correct that employees should be tipped (if they do a good job) but it is less imperative to do so with the owners. Only if you want to.

And I always offer all workers who come into my home a cold beverage/refreshment and if they need to use the bathroom.

That is what I would do. It depends on the specific circumstances and how the job goes and if you want to and those are the only parameters you should go by. Do what feels right to you. And good luck with the piano move!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results