shape
carat
color
clarity

Tip the photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beltane

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone... I didn't have a professional photographer for my first wedding, so this is new to me. I'm wondering... is it expected to tip the photographer? Is there anyone else who should be tipped, like the DJ? I know the bartender usually has a little jar off to the side, but I don't know who else should be tipped.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I''m under the impression that if the person owns the business, and will be taking home 100% of the profit, then I don''t tip usually. But I might if the person was extraordinary.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 3:23:39 PM
Author: girlface
I''m under the impression that if the person owns the business, and will be taking home 100% of the profit, then I don''t tip usually. But I might if the person was extraordinary.

Ditto.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 3:43:32 PM
Author: CurlySue

Date: 2/3/2010 3:23:39 PM
Author: girlface

Ditto.
Thritto.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Agreed.

Also, since you said something about it in your post and if you care about this which a couple of us brides did, a few of us made sure that the bartenders did not have tip jars out. If it is not a cash bar, then it should be your responsibility as the host to tip the "help", not them pandering for extra money from your guests.

Our venue charged us 20% gratuity on all food and beverage that we paid for in advance. One of my first questions to the venue was making sure that there were no tip jars at the reception.

Just my opinion though.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 4:02:54 PM
Author: meresal
Agreed.

Also, since you said something about it in your post and if you care about this which a couple of us brides did, a few of us made sure that the bartenders did not have tip jars out. If it is not a cash bar, then it should be your responsibility as the host to tip the ''help'', not them pandering for extra money from your guests.

Our venue charged us 20% gratuity on all food and beverage that we paid for in advance. One of my first questions to the venue was making sure that there were no tip jars at the reception.

Just my opinion though.
Sorry for the mini-threadjack... but thanks for bringing that up, meresal. I wouldn''t have even thought do do this - but now that you''ve mentioned it, this is going on my to-do list!!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
we tipped ours b/c she was fantastic and we thought very, very, very underpriced.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I def tipped my photographer and my DJ!

Your photographer is going to be doing all the editing, printing of your pics and album. Give them a tip for a good job at the wedding and it may work in your favor.

beltane

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t think about the bartender tip-jar!!! You''re right. Thanks! If I don''t have to have that thing out, I don''t want it.

I have a feeling I probably will tip the photographer and the DJ. As someone who works in an industry that survives on tips (hairstylist) I do tend to tip... having never hired a photographer I didn''t now what the norm is.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t tip the photog or the DJ. I paid them a ton of $ for their services (both were the owners of their businesses)-why tip on top of that?

Of course I tipped my hairstylist and I tried to tip my make up artist but she wasn''t allowed to accept tips. I asked my caterer about tipping the servers and bartenders but he includes it in the per person price so I didn''t have to worry about it.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 8:23:19 AM
Author: thing2of2
I didn''t tip the photog or the DJ. I paid them a ton of $ for their services (both were the owners of their businesses)-why tip on top of that?

Of course I tipped my hairstylist and I tried to tip my make up artist but she wasn''t allowed to accept tips. I asked my caterer about tipping the servers and bartenders but he includes it in the per person price so I didn''t have to worry about it.
Ditto re: our Photog. If they own their own business, you can be sure that they are padding their prices to cover themselves if they don''t get a tip. That is why you go out on your own anyway.

Our DJ was SUPER inexpensive, so my dad might have given him a bit extra at the end of the night. He did an incredible job. When I say inexpensive, I mean $800. If he had been anywhere over $1200 I don''t think we would have tipped anything.

I however didn''t tip my hair lady or my MUA either. They both owned their own company, just like the DJ and photog, and my hair stylist was charging $175/hour and charged me out the A$$ just for her travel (apprx $250 to drive across DFW and back, which is about an hour and a half total driving time). I love her to death, but she wasn''t getting ANY more money from me, after the travel expenses.

Glad I could help a few of you ladies with the tip-jars! Also, another thing I found helpful... be sure to tell your band or DJ if they are allowed to take requests or not.
2.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
My DH and I both thought our photog did an amazing job, but the thought of tipping never crossed our minds. She does her own pricing, so I feel like when you buy a package, everything is included. If they want more, they''ll just ask for it in the package deal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results