shape
carat
color
clarity

"Timeless" Styles

somedaysunday

Rough_Rock
Your opinion, please! Are there styles of engagement rings that are more "timeless" than others? Of all the different types of settings that are out there right now, which have been in style for just a short time, which have been around forever, and which do you see becoming less or more popular?

Thanks!

SS

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tend to think a simple plain metal solitaire or a plain metal 3 stone are the most timeless.

aquanaut

Shiny_Rock
ame|1323291227|3076363 said:
I tend to think a simple plain metal solitaire or a plain metal 3 stone are the most timeless.

I agree.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a 6 prong Tiffany style solitaire is timeless. The Tiff setting has been around forever!

somedaysunday

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses!

How long have halos been in style?

SS

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think of emeralds or rounds with thin baguette sides as timeless.
Plain solitaires, too. Well, probably plain solitaires with any center other than a marquise. Plain marquise YG solitaires scream 1980s to me. Not that that's a bad thing. I love everything about the 80s.

Love some halos, but they are definitely going to remind of this particular point in time in the future.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But halos actually have been around for a long time. They are really a vintage style, even though they might be popular now.

I agree with a round with tapered baguettes. Very classic.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Tiffany engagement ring setting was introduced in 1886. It certainly is the most timeless of the current designs available.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1323301901|3076534 said:
But halos actually have been around for a long time. They are really a vintage style, even though they might be popular now.
I know halos have been around for a very long time. However, their huge surge in popularity recently, coupled with the fact that *I've* only been around for 31 years, is exactly why the current iteration of the halo that is so very popular at this moment will, one day, remind of this this moment in time.

I imagine solitaire YG marquises were around for a while before the 80s, but their huge surge in popularity during the 80s, and hence the result that it seems like everyone I know who was married in the 80s wears one, is why they will always remind me of that time.

Whenever a unique style becomes hugely popular, and dare I say it: trendy, is when it becomes "of a certain decade" in my mind. The Tiffany solitaire has enjoyed a far more steady popularity, which I believe is why it seems timeless. To me, at least.

These are all just my opinions, so, well, there you have it. I have seen so many halos IRL over the last five years it's really astonishing.

chicagohills

Rough_Rock
I've had my halo for umm... not quite 8 years. I used to get stopped all the time because it was so unusual. I hate to admit that it bothers me to see it everywhere and on everyone. I mean, it really bothers me. :wink2: I'm currently looking for a new style to upgrade to. Don't get me wrong, I still think the halo is stunning and a good choice, but bring on the new bling! :halo:

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
I've had the Tiffany-inspired 6 prong solitaire for 10 years now. While I still love it, and love seeing everyone else's 6 prong solitaires on this forum, part of me wants to change the setting. I just see it on almost everyone IRL, and now I kind of crave something a little bit different. Sometimes I wonder if it's just Tiffany's genius marketing that makes me think that it's the most timeless style. I love all of their ads. And I agree with Haven- lately I've been thinking that a RB or an EC with thin tapered baguettes is the most elegant style.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many classics it's hard to name them! If you look in antique jewelers there are solitaires, halos, 3 and 5 stone rings - both prong set and bezel set, a centre stone with tapered baguettes. I consider all those to be very classic and timeless. Eternity ring have also been around for a long time, and seem timeless to me.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1323301901|3076534 said:

I think halos are popular on PS. I have yet to meet anyone in real life who has one. Halos are very art deco so as long as they are tastefully done I would put them in the timeless category but that is JMO.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1323291227|3076363 said:

my thoughts exactly! I love sooo many styles of rings- but when you say timeless these are the two i think of immediately.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results