shape
carat
color
clarity

Time to buy, been lurking too long

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

howo5

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking around this forum for about 3 months and I''ve spent more time planning and not enough acting, and now it''s time for me to start my search.

I''m looking for a .9 - 1 carat round diamond. I''m thinking an E-F color and probably a VS1 (As long as you can''t see inclusions) I''m willing to go higher on the color and up to VVS1 if it''s worth it. (If it''s not colorless to her or flawless to her I''m gonna have to upgrade her probably.)

I''m not too good at judging cuts, but I''m looking to purchase online as I''ve read many good experiences.

I also want to get a Tiffany-like white gold setting.

Let me understand the process:

1. I need to find the right stone and work with the dealer to send it to me (request a refund if local appraisal is not accurate)
2. Find a local appraiser and ensure that the stone is truly what''s reported and looks good!
3. If the dealer doesn''t have the setting I want, I should purchase it separately
4. I need to find a local jeweler that can put the diamond onto the setting.
5. I''m done!

I''m getting nervous already, I don''t even know her ring size!

Please help!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/3/2006 4:46:07 PM
Author:howo5
I''ve been lurking around this forum for about 3 months and I''ve spent more time planning and not enough acting, and now it''s time for me to start my search.

I''m looking for a .9 - 1 carat round diamond. I''m thinking an E-F color and probably a VS1 (As long as you can''t see inclusions) I''m willing to go higher on the color and up to VVS1 if it''s worth it. (If it''s not colorless to her or flawless to her I''m gonna have to upgrade her probably.)

I''m not too good at judging cuts, but I''m looking to purchase online as I''ve read many good experiences.

1. I need to find the right stone and work with the dealer to send it to me (request a refund if local appraisal is not accurate)
2. Find a local appraiser and ensure that the stone is truly what''s reported and looks good!
3. If the dealer doesn''t have the setting I want, I should purchase it separately
5. I''m done!

Please help!

First Howo5: RELAX...Breaking this process down into the separate steps will make it much easier.

5. I''m done!

I would venture to go with an e-f color/vs2 clarity grade within the .9-.99ct range will save you money.It will be easier to have the stone sent to an independent appraiser which will verify the accuracy of the diamond and than upon your visual approval and inspection you can send the diamond back to any particular vendor you choose to have it set. On-line vendors have made it easier to expedite the process in allowing you to ship the diamond direct from them to a appraiser, and than to you and you can send it back to have a setting made. Many vendors either carry the popular "lines" for settings and most of them will have no problem fabricating a tiffany style ring.

It is much easier to purchase from a vendor who not only stocks diamonds, but also fabricates and have their own benchman and goldsmith''s to fabricate a setting for you.WHITEFLASH is an excellent place to start. There are many beautiful diamonds and rings which they have put together for people. In a diamond around 1 carat or less I think vs-2/si-1 is fine. You or she will be hard pressed to notice an inclusion especially if you get a really nice eye-clean si-1. If your leaning on the side of super safe I would go vs-1/vs-2. Believe me, your not going to see it.

Do a search for a diamond .9-.99 e-f,vs-1-vs-2 and see what you come up with.

Don''t worry and the gang here will help talk you through everything...
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2006 4:46:07 PM
Author:howo5

5. I''m done!

Please help!
1.&2. If you buy from certain vendors, you won''t need an independent appraisal. If you are buying an AGS0 or GIA Excellent cut stone, you already have verification from an independent source of the stone''s characteristics. Vendors like Good Old Gold, White Flash, and Winfield''s pretty much hand-pick their in-house stones, so you have a high degree of assurance that you''re looking at a good selection to begin with. I''d never buy an uncertified or EGL stone without an independent appraisal, but that''ll never happen because I only plan to buy AGS0 and GIA excellent stones!
3. All dealers have white gold tiffany settings, so that''s not an issue. Have the diamond vendor set the stone.
6. Find out her ring size!
1.gif

I like VS1 and up best, too. I did return one VS2, so I''d agree that VS1 is less risky for those who want excellent clarity.

Tell us your budget and we can try to help you.

howo5

Rough_Rock
So....

If I buy from Good Old Gold, White Flash, or Winfield''s I can get everything done in one shot? Pick the diamond, use their tiffany''s setting and just wait for it to arrive? (After I pay them of course). I''m guessing all these places have money back guarantee''s also.

I read somewhere on this site that superbcert had the best tiffany''s setting e-ring. Is that true? (Is there a rating of how close the Tiffany''s settings are by company? I have a feeling the setting is just as important to her as the diamond.) I''m willing to spend about 12k on the ring so I''m sure given the size she wants I can stay within budget. I just want to make sure it looks like it''s perfect (even if we know it''s not totally flawless and colorless, wink)

Anyways, if you guys can send some candidates of good cuts and good stats, that''d be awesome!

Thanks a bunch! You guys are great!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Interesting how your high color and quality requirements hold down the size...however, note that for the price you''re willing to pay, you can pay half of that, if you hold to the requirements of .9.

But, go up to $10K and change, and you can get 1.17 carats from GOG, and have similar options available from others.

howo5

Rough_Rock
Well, I''m looking for something in that .9 range, because she noted that she had small hands and thought that anything bigger would look funny. Works for me I guess, I just want to get something she likes and if it doesn''t break the bank, all the better. We can probably do a destination wedding or something instead.

But since she''s hinted at a smaller size, I know for a fact it has to look great!

I noticed the .92 carat diamond you linked wasn''t one of the three sites mentioned. Is it a good gem?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, your budget is going to allow you to get a wonderful diamond and ring! The stone Ira posted is very nice and here is a beautiful E VS1 1.14 cts.
30.gif
:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1567/

So you''re wanting an authentic replica of a Tiffany knife-edge setting rather than a generic tiffany style setting? Since I have looked at those extensively, I know that you can have SuperbCert (Excel) make the setting and send it to GOG to set, or you can have GOG send the diamond to Excel to set it. Either one will charge you a setting fee (something around $60-$100) since you aren''t buying both items from them, but it''s not a big deal. (I know all this because I also considered those settings.) Excel would just have to have the measurements of your diamond if you wanted them to make it and send it to GOG to set.

I did have my stone (and a second one) sent to me to look at before having it set due to the fact that I was unsure of size and color. In your case, E-F VS1 is so safe that there would be no compelling reason to do that (plus you know the size range you want). But even though you have a 30 day return period, if you have it set, then you probably wouldn''t get money back on the setting since that setting is pretty much custom made. I know that setting comes in platinum, but I am not sure if they make it in white gold.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 1:40:05 AM
Author: howo5
Well, I'm looking for something in that .9 range, because she noted that she had small hands and thought that anything bigger would look funny. Works for me I guess, I just want to get something she likes and if it doesn't break the bank, all the better. We can probably do a destination wedding or something instead.

But since she's hinted at a smaller size, I know for a fact it has to look great!

I noticed the .92 carat diamond you linked wasn't one of the three sites mentioned. Is it a good gem?
Actually, I am sympathetic to the sites you mentioned, but wanted to point out the range of pricing I was seeing, point out (obliquely) my choices were just coming from the search by cut db (check it out!), but I should also note that I'm glad to see Dimend Scasi participating on this board..I suspect their offerings are more than fine.

Given your budget, and, from what I understand to be your requirements...maybe something more like this one from WF would be best. They tend to have less ACAs at the very high color and clarity range, frankly, because many of us draw them to mid range for color and clarity (F - H & VS2 ish), so probably for this reason, their highest cut diamonds filter there. But they seem to have about 4 showing between 1.02 and 1.06 carats, F, VS1, and you might consider asking each of your vendors of choice really what they have, or have coming in, that you might consider. With a couple thousand to go, you certainly could get either a D, an IF, and at .9 carats, easily enough both, if your vendor of choice will have it available.

So the world is your oyster.

Regards,

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Pickings always seem to be slim in the 0.9x category...Here are a couple for you to consider:
1.04 F/VS1 H&A
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2323702.htm

0.91 F/VS1...I wouldn''t call it superideal, but it looks really nice from the pics. Price is less than 1/2 what you planned to spend.
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2435211.htm

0.94 G/VVS1
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/2073/

0.90 D/VS2
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/1950/

I know this last one is not exactly what you are considering, but it is definitely worth a look at this price
0.85 F/SI1 (really clean and off to the side, though)
http://niceice.com/certcopies/gia14970324/index.htm

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2006 5:29:10 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

If you buy from certain vendors, you won't need an independent appraisal.
I emphatically disagree with this.

Getting an independent appraisal has nothing to do with how trustworthy you think your vendor is or isn't.

Vendors are human, too, and that means they can make unintentional mistakes. An independent appraiser helps minimize any potential for mistakes and protects the buyer.

If you can't afford to take a loss on the stone or replace it out of your own pocket, then you should use an independent appraiser.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2006 8:40:44 AM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 9/3/2006 5:29:10 PM

If you buy from certain vendors, you won''t need an independent appraisal.
I emphatically disagree with this.

Getting an independent appraisal has nothing to do with how trustworthy you think your vendor is or isn''t.

Vendors are human, too, and that means they can make unintentional mistakes. An independent appraiser helps minimize any potential for mistakes and protects the buyer.

If you can''t afford to take a loss on the stone or replace it out of your own pocket, then you should use an independent appraiser.
Alj, you''re more than free to disagree, but I don''t get the last statement at all. My stone will be insured for the full value of the stone with the insurance valuation that comes with it. So why would I have to replace it out of my own pocket if it was lost or stolen???? And I''m not just trusting my vendor, his valuation plus an AGS or GIA cert is two verifications of the stone already.

howo5

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your help.

I think I need to understand 2 things:

1. What''s the difference between Hearts and Arrows and a Round Ideal Cut?
2. Where can I find the best Tiffany''s replica in white gold?

Thanks again!

I think I''m ok with the certificates and will trust the vendor. It seems to be a lot of work to get the stone sent to me, then appraised, then sent back to get it set.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
1) a) Consider reviewing the first two threads in this section of the diamond book.

b) understand that John is an enthusiast, too, but also, so is Paul Slegers of Infinity, and both, and many, will say that you more than get your money's worth with Hearts & Arrow, and precision alignment.

c) Appraiser Richard Sherwood would only rank an option as a so called "superideal" if, among other things, H&A attains

d) In the past (and this may be too long ago), appraiser Dave Atlas considered H&A to not amount to much, I recall

e) Garry will sometimes quote AGS as having research that didn't sufficiently differentiate H&A for it's value...to make it an item of significance.

f) per (e) above, see that neither AGS nor GIA score for H&A

e) I'd say, sight unseen, if you pay a negligible amount to get the benefit of H&A (duh), go for it

f) but if you will pay a premium of some measure...best to evaluate and see if you can appreciate the difference between a diamond with & without that characteristic.

2) Though a recent thread spoke second hand about liking best Superbcert, I'd speculate many do a good job, and have to think it is commonly enough done that you should at least first see if you can select your vendor based on other criteria, and then see if their version isn't good for you. But...otherwise...perhaps do a search...it's probably been asked many times before.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I've always admired Dimenscassi's replica since it's more based on the older tiffany rather than the current knife-edge tiffany. I personally do not find the knife-edge comfortable.

This F VS1 1.08ct diamond along with either the straight tiffany replica or the tapered tiffany replica comes out to $11488. Just under budget!

1A3.jpg
1A3-1.jpg

ETA: oh yes, ring size. Does she have any other rings that she might wear on her right hand ring finger? That's commonly just slightly bigger than her ring finger. (if she's right handed of course). You could borrow that and have it sized at a jewelers. All in all it's best to shoot for a little too big than too small. At least it'll go on and it's easy to resize. If she's made a comment about how small her fingers are there's a good chance she's somewhere around a size 4. Have you ever seen her try on rings? Most stock rings are a size 6, if that helps you judge.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2006 12:06:57 PM
Author: howo5

1. What''s the difference between Hearts and Arrows and a Round Ideal Cut?
More narrow answer that may or may not be addressing the cause of your question...WF offers perhaps 3 types of options a) ACA - in-house, b) expert selection in-house and c) virtual. Sometimes their virtual, not-in-house options, that they would call in they label "round ideal cut." In case that''s what you were asking about.

howo5

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your informative posts.

Looks like I''ll just find a nice round ideal cut, with VS1, between .9-1.0 carats and E or F clarity.

I think the next step is to find the right vendor. So far it seems like Whiteflash, Goodoldgold and Bluenile are very reputable. What other''s should I choose from to narrow my search?

These are my criteria for vendors:
1. They produce a well made tiffany''s replica setting
2. They are reputable enough for me to purchase both the diamond and setting from them, have them set it, without having to deal with independent appraisals and so forth.

Once I can focus on a couple vendor''s I can narrow my search for specific diamonds. Then I''ll need your help again!

howo5

Rough_Rock
Can anyone send me a list of vendors that meet''s my criteria?

Thanks so much!

howo5

Rough_Rock
Ok,

I've narrowed my search down to these three diamonds, with the whiteflash Tiffany's 6-prong setting.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=43844

This first one has a Ideal scope and Sarin report, should I just choose this one because more info is available?

What are the ranges for a diamond in terms of Table size, girdle, crown, pavilion, etc...

Here's the other 2:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=44371

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=107912

Any comments on these? Which one is going to look the best?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
If in your study of options, you really want a substantive opinion on #2 & #3, you might ask WF for their help with those. See this strategy in the link below my signature. Both options 2 & 3 are virtual (see that they say: "call for availability"), and not known performers until seen. Ostensibly, they will call them in for you, and can assist you with an informed opinion. Especially since an eventual selection would be from them, I''m guessing they''d be willing to comply.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 3:11:12 PM

Alj, you're more than free to disagree, Yep, and I chose to exercise that freedom here.
1.gif

but I don't get the last statement at all. My stone will be insured for the full value of the stone with the insurance valuation that comes with it. So why would I have to replace it out of my own pocket if it was lost or stolen???? It's pretty self-explanatory. If you can afford to replace a stone out of pocket, then you may not need an independent appraisal (to make sure you get the exact same thing).

And I'm not just trusting my vendor, his valuation plus an AGS or GIA cert is two verifications of the stone already.

So are you suggesting that stone cannot incur damage (even unintentional) in the period after the grading report was issued?

One gal bought her ring and setting from the vendor; vendor set the ring and shipped it directly to customer's I/A. It was he who discovered damage that occurred during setting that was innocently missed by the vendor. If the piece hadn't gone to an I/A, it's likely that the customer would have had to submit a claim at some future point when s/he finally realized it was damaged. Instead, the vendor replaced the stone at more than full cost.

Again, i/a are there to protect you. There are many good reasons to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results