shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany's Sparkler's - A good value? How to keep them clean?

soontomarry2

Shiny_Rock
Are the Tiffany's Sparkler Purple Amethyst earrings a good value. They're 1.5ct (3.0 ctw) basket patterned (is the correct terminology?) cushions cast in sterling silver. When viewing them in person, how can I tell if they have good color?

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/item.aspx?sku=23259494

Secondly, what is the best way to keep these clean and a looking like new with the metal shiny and stone sparkly?

We currently dip my better half's E-ring in a cup of water & ammonia. Can we do the same for these earrings? Can the ammonia damage amethyst, praseolite, citrine, quartz or sterling silver?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Tiffany's Sparkler's - A good value? How to keep them cl

$500 for a pair of amethyst earring in silver is absurd.

For example, this is a beautiful, precision cut amethyst, weighing nearly 8cts, and costs $237.
http://precisiongem.com/html/html/Amethyst.html

I would recommend you to contact some cutters and have someone cut you a nice pair of amethysts, which can be set in stock cast settings or even handmade ones. You will get stones that are probably nicer (I have never been impressed by Tiffany's coloured gems) and much cheaper.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree - unless you are after the Tiffany's name, you can do a lot better elsewhere.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry but I agree also. Tiffany doesn't even have the quality that you expect to go with a high class price tag unfortunately. $500 for amethyst and silver is crazy. I'm afraid that you're just paying for the name. :(( Is your heart set on Tiffanys?

In terms of cleaning gemstones - with the exception of diamonds - if you're not sure, only clean gemstones with lukewarm water, a baby's toothbrush and some washing up liquid. Then run under clean luke warm water and dry with a lint free cloth.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

What everybody else said. You can do better in quality for a fraction of the price elsewhere. At Tiffany you pay for a heck of a lot of advertising, rent at very expensive addresses plus a turquoise box. If the pics of those earrings on their website is accurate, the color is meh.

Candice

Shiny_Rock

I have this one: http://www.tiffany.ca/Shopping/Item...params=s+5-p+1-c+594261-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

and I know I over paid....but i love it. the amethyst is beautiful it gives off pink and blue flashes in different lighting. and to clean it i just use windex and a toothbrush or dish soap and a toothbrush. tooth brush is key to clean all the facets underneath :D

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

As far as a good amethyst goes...the one linked to is an example of the color you will find in a good one. If you like the paler variety great, but I love the darker ones with at least blue flashes, or magenta flashes, if not both.

For the price, you could have a pair of really nice earrings, probably custom made and very eye catching.

If you love the name and have the money to spend, get whichever you like, though!

Laura

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Agreed with everyone else. And it's a checkerboard cut cushion. :wink2:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Hey now, I actually like checkerboard cut cushions! Especially for low-RI stones like quartz...they add a good deal of sparkle. As for these earrings, I agree. They look pretty, but you could get the same or better for much less elsewhere.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

I'll admit to purchasing a similarly cut ring at a local mall store! Got it under $200 on sale, which made me happy. Rose gold setting in the "rose de france" amethyst color. Not my favorite amethyst color, but the first larger ring I've worn and I always get compliments on it. Checked, but unfortunately I didn't see any earrings similar.

http://jewelry.reeds.com/Amethyst-Fashion-Ring-plu18993436.html

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

jstarfireb said:
Hey now, I actually like checkerboard cut cushions! Especially for low-RI stones like quartz...they add a good deal of sparkle. As for these earrings, I agree. They look pretty, but you could get the same or better for much less elsewhere.
Well I wasn't intentionally dissing cherckerboards, although I'm not a big fan, but informing since no one else had mentioned it.

Again, as others have said, amethyst is not an expensive stone. Even in the best colors from the most expensive mining areas, it is not an expensive stone (ETA: Compared to your high end rubies/sapphires/emeralds/etc). I got a custom cut amethyst from Dan Stair many moons ago that was a little bit under 4cts and it was around the $150 range. That's precision cut, better color than the Tiffany, and twice as big.

Silver is also not expensive. Tiffs charges a huge premium for their name.

I had a pendant made recently that is very similar to the Tiffany Sparkler pendant, the stone is a Mahenge spinel at 3.39cts and a sterling silver custom pendant by Daniel M. Total price tag? A titsch more than you'd be paying for those Tiff earrings, and more than twice as much as the Tiffs pendant. But, more than twice the size, and the stone is a HECK OF A LOT more valuable. I believe Daniel M is charging about $90 for pendants like mine.

My suggestion? Go get a pair of 8mm cushion amethysts from Barry Bridgestock ($300--maybe) ask Daniel M for the studs in sterling, and rest assured that you have gotten more for your money.

Of course, all of this is moot if you want the name.

IMG_0013 freke.jpg

soontomarry2

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for all the replies everyone, I really appreciate your feedback. I have two more questions for the experts if you don't mind!

1. I have purchased sterling silver for my better half in the past. Unfortunately they have tarnished. I am afraid this will happen again. I hoped that by choosing Tiffany's sterling silver I could avoid this 1, 5, or 10 years down the road. IS this a wise assumption? Are there any tell tale signs that sterling silver will tarnish in the future?

2. I notice that these particular earrings have a lighter shade of purple than many others I've seen. Are certain shades of purple amethyst more valuable than others? How can you tell if the stone is a good quality stone?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Tiffany silver tarnishes. I do love Tiffany silver (though I know its overpriced), but it will tarnish like any other silver. It just comes with the territory. Argentenium silver doesn't tarnish (or so I've heard) so that's something to look into.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

The lighter shade of amethyst may be called Rose de France. I am no expert, but it seems that the most expensive shade of amethyst is the darker purple, which contains both blue and magenta flashes of color. You may see it labeled "Siberian" color because there is a perception that the color was commonly found there in the past (correct or not...). Each gemstone generally has a "preferred" color which is more expensive. If YOU prefer a different shade, then you can expect a better price on your preferred color most of the time. For example, some people prefer a lighter blue sapphire more like sky blue than the darker shades which are often referred to a cornflower or royal blue (colors are an inexact science, so these shades can mean many things to many people). A light blue sapphire will generally be priced less than the most desired shade, so someone who prefers that color may get a better price.

Laura

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just about all silver will tarnish no matter where one purchases it from and it happens due to oxidation of the metal. Depending on one’s skin chemistry, this can be a matter of weeks or months, which will show no hints as to how long it will stay white and bright. I have heard that argentums silver does not tarnish but I have not had personal experience with it.

Correct; a rich, but not too dark, shade of purple which shows flashes of blue, red or both are sought after and highly valued. The 4 Peaks (AZ) amethysts are more apt to show red flash while the Jackson Crossroad amethysts are more apt to show blue flash. The Zambian and Siberian material will show both the blue and red flash but the true Siberian amethysts are now mined out while the Zambian are not producing as fine a quality as they used to. The Uruguay amethysts are also reminiscent of fine Siberian as well. Again, these are generalizations because a particular mine will produce both the finest and the worst quality.

There is nothing wrong with choosing a different shade of purple if that is what you prefer as long as you aren’t overpaying for it. A lighter shade should be priced less than a richly saturated counterpart with those desired red and blue flashes. A checkerboard cut is different from the traditional faceting and can be very attractive. If you aren’t tied to the brand name, you can easily get an exact pair yourself for around half the price.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

My husband bought me a cabochon amethyst pendant from Tiffany's for my birthday but the amethyst was fairly horrible... not overly saturated and very grey. I ended up exchanging it for the chalcedony version.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results