shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany vs Tiffany replica - Price comparison included

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
Still trying to work out whether to get a "real" Tiffany or go with WF and replica setting. The problem with replica is that I haven't found any solitaire setting I really like. I'm considering the BGD half round Tiffany setting but it has slightly stronger lines (not as curvy) as I like. MM Sunburst is another option, but at $2700 is really really expensive!

Anyway, I thought I'd share some of my research with fellow PS'ers who may be wondering how much a Tiffany ring costs. Below are costs I've gathered in AUD (using AUD/USD $1.02 and AUD/HKD $7.9 conversion rate). Don't bother buying Tiffany ring in Australia, I was quoted I think $35,000 for a 1.46ct, F colour VVS2.

Screen%20shot%202011-03-30%20at%208.56.29%20PM.png

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the detailed info Ray. It's really interesting. Here's my .02, FWIW. If you can find a setting that you like (even the MM), and purchase a VS1/2 clarity diamond, which will be totally eye clean, then you can either get a much larger diamond or save yourself some money. Have you looked at WF's diamonds or any of the other PS vendors? Tiffany is just such a large mark up it makes me cringe. :errrr:

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
Yeah essentially to purchase Tiffany I'll be trading 2 grades of color, ie from F to H. All my female friends recommend me getting the higher quality diamond than getting a Tiffany. The other thing is, of course, you may not get a H&A from Tiffany...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ray, that is my main concern other than money...you likely would not get a H&A stone at Tiffany. I'd go for a G or H color from WF and get the largest stone you can within your budget. Or even F if you have a large budget and want a smaller stone. But if you go with WF, I would choose one of their settings.

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
Any reason why I should prefer WF setting if I get the stone from WF? I'm leaning towards WF for the diamond 'cause their have a larger selection than, say, GOG, but in terms of setting my current preference is BGD half round tapered, because I think she will like the round shank better than the one from WF which is flat? (knife's edge is out 'cause it's uncomfortable)

Screen%20shot%202011-03-31%20at%201.02.15%20AM.png

Screen%20shot%202011-03-31%20at%201.03.50%20AM.png

PSU335i

Rough_Rock
Why not buy the diamond and setting from BGD?

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
PSU335i|1301495154|2883422 said:

Cause BGD does not have the size/etc diamond that I wanted? BGD signature seems quite few and in between.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Ray, If I'm not mistaken, Jonathon at GOG works with Mark Morrell quite a bit. I know it may be tempting to just get something at Tiffany's, but it's such a waste of money. There's plenty of people on this forum who can help you get a much better deal.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I LOVE the Tapered Tiffany Style Half Round from BGD. It is my favorite of all the Tiffany replicas, and dare I say I even like it better than the actual Tiffany setting because: a.) the tapered shank, b.) the rounded (more comfy) band, and c.) the prongs (I like how they are pointy - the Tiffany prongs are sort of blunt and flat tipped). I also love working with BGD - they are so nice, helpful and patient! I think their diamond prices are a bit lower than WF, too (from what I've seen). At times I saw the same virtual stone on both sites and they were always cheaper at BGD. I know what you mean though about their H&A stone selection being smaller, though, so I can see how that might be a hindrance. What size stone, color, and clarity are you interested in, and what is your budget?

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
It is so disturbing to see that people want Tiffany design but are being encouraged over and over again to pay someone else to do a replica, and there are as many jewellers who will rip off those designs and call them replicas. I think the word "Tiffany" should result in a ban on these forums, as the bad-mouthing for the Tiffany price goes beyond what ones conscience should bear. There are many agendas visible, tone it down a few notches and make nice. My .02 worth...

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
TheDoctor|1301531216|2883847 said:
It is so disturbing to see that people want Tiffany design but are being encouraged over and over again to pay someone else to do a replica, and there are as many jewellers who will rip off those designs and call them replicas. I think the word "Tiffany" should result in a ban on these forums, as the bad-mouthing for the Tiffany price goes beyond what ones conscience should bear. There are many agendas visible, tone it down a few notches and make nice. My .02 worth...

Ouch. I know this post was not directed solely at me, but because I was the last poster before you I will add my 2 cents, as well: I am in no way trying to bad mouth Tiffany. In fact I just spent 30 mins in there yesterday with one of the nicest sales people I have ever dealt with anywhere, and I think their jewelry and diamonds are amazing! I would never say there is anything wrong with Tiffany, and in all honestly if my fiance could have afforded to get me the size stone I wanted from Tiffany we would have done it in a heartbeat (still something about that little blue box!). In fact, I am wearing a little rose gold band from Tiffany right now that I adore. That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with providing people with Tiffany-like or Tiffany-styled alternatives. The BGD setting I talked about actually has many different features than the Tiffany solitaire, all of which I discussed and stated as reasons I actually like it better than the Tiffany solitaire if you are just comparing setting to setting - those reasons have nothing to do with the Tiffany price tag, they were all aesthetic reasons that apply to my personal taste. I am not trying to be rude, but I was a bit hurt to read your posting after trying to help someone with something so special. I have no agenda, I am just trying to help people find something they will love, and I don't think people should be discouraged from doing that.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't worry about that last post, I can see someone reported it to PS management already.

RayEarth, a suggestion about the setting, contact WF and see if they can round down the setting you were looking at. I'll bet they'll be happy to do that. That way you can have WF set their own stone for you.

Lightfoot

Rough_Rock
RayEarth|1301517854|2883713 said:
PSU335i|1301495154|2883422 said:

Cause BGD does not have the size/etc diamond that I wanted? BGD signature seems quite few and in between.

I'm not trying to push one vendor over the other (my dealings with WF, BGD, and GOG have all been fantastic) but if I remember correctly, Jamie at BGD mentioned new inventory coming in May. Not sure how much of a rush you're in.

Also - WF and BGD are in the same building (possibly even on the same floor). Does anyone know if the relationship between the two is such that RayEarth could buy the stone from WF and they could give it to BGD to set it? (Maybe wouldn't hurt to ask?)

(This is of course assuming you want the BGD setting)

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
It rattles my cage to hear people talking about "replicas." If you want it to be exactly like a T&Co ring, just freaking get one. If you want a lovely setting, there are plenty to be had.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Andelain|1301534694|2883892 said:
I wouldn't worry about that last post, I can see someone reported it to PS management already.

Thanks, Andelain! How can you see if a post has been reported to management?

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
My budget is about $30,000. So looking at about 1.7, F/VS characteristics. I can find 3-4 diamonds within that criteria in WF in their ACA range (more if you expand to expert selection), but none in the BGD armory. Not in a particular hurry so can wait till May to see the new stocks but I have never really thought it would be an issue getting a WF diamond set in BGD setting? I remember in the BGD FAQ which specifically said you don't have to buy the diamond from them to buy their setting. May be there is more politics behind it (esp if they are in the same building)?

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
As far as I know, there is no problem with buying a stone from WF (or anywhere else for that matter) and having it set in a BGD setting. You can have WF send the stone straight to BGD, or maybe you want to receive it loose first so you can have it appraised (or just make sure you like it), then send it in to BGD yourself. BGD will ship to you once for free.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Why not consider Leon Mege for a solitaire. I love his solitaires and find he can make you the curves you want and the ring will be more delicate than the Tiffany.

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1301544344|2883994 said:
Why not consider Leon Mege for a solitaire. I love his solitaires and find he can make you the curves you want and the ring will be more delicate than the Tiffany.

I have put in a quote but suspect it will be quite expensive (3k+?) as a 6-prong claw solitaire is not something that is in the standard gallery? Not sure if it is worth spending that much on an initial setting given that this is a surprise and I haven't really discussed with my partner in detail!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1301544344|2883994 said:

will Leon make a Tiffany style setting? all of the Leon solitaires I have seen are beautiful but cathedral style and I know he is not exactly fond of Tiffany designs...

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Andelain|1301534694|2883892 said:

My post was honest and wasn't flaming anyone in particular.
Too often in these forums I have seen evidence of cheerleading for vendors who offer Tiffany inspired jewellery pieces (knock-offs, lets be honest) at lower than Tiffany prices, (Tiffany is an overpriced rip off, try...) but what is never discussed is how much Tiffany invests in their design and manufacture.

Intellectual property lawsuits keep legions of lawyers busy, and for good reason. If any of you had developed something that made people swoon, and produced it using the most modern manufacturing techniques, and made images of such available to the world in order to strengthen your brand, you might be somewhat disappointed when the tertiary market responded with versions of your design that border on rip-off and market those designs using your name as a comparitive selling point. That is where my blood boils.It's not as if these companies can't produce their own designs, but the default is that people are asking for these designs from tertiary market vendors who are already making nearly every style of Tiffany mounting that Tiffany makes. These vendors haven't invested a penny in intellectual property, therefore, their prices can be comparitively lower.

My reason for stating that the word Tiffany should be flagged and that those who post comparisons should be banned is that you people are all annonymous, and can flame certain companies to your heart's content until someone takes you to task. My name goes on my posts and my company and location are easily identified. I am not connected in any way with T&Co. but I respect their provinence and do not begrudge their success. They are a company of many dedicated individuals, and their rights as individuals and as a corpration are worthy of at least a minimum of respect.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
RayEarth|1301546431|2884010 said:
I have put in a quote but suspect it will be quite expensive (3k+?) as a 6-prong claw solitaire is not something that is in the standard gallery? Not sure if it is worth spending that much on an initial setting given that this is a surprise and I haven't really discussed with my partner in detail!
Since there is no pave, I think it will be in the 2K range. If this is a throw away setting, then I agree no point spending more than required. In fact, I will probably just buy a cheap white gold setting and be done with it. I didn't get that impression since you were actually considering getting a T&CO ring.

I don't know ... I look at something like this and I find it so beautiful that I wouldn't even think twice about a traditional T&CO setting. I am thinking without the pave too and a tapered band. Very personal though ... what I like is not what other people like.
LeonSolitaire.jpg

slg47|1301546487|2884012 said:
will Leon make a Tiffany style setting? all of the Leon solitaires I have seen are beautiful but cathedral style and I know he is not exactly fond of Tiffany designs...
He will make a simple catheral setting but probably doesn't make sense depending on cost. He doesn't like Tiffany designs and doesn't make them ... he has his own versions of them which I must admit is much nicer. I am also not a huge fan of the commercial Tiffany designs ... but their statement pieces are oh so gorgeous!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
For reference, here is the original Tiffany solitaire.
Tiffany1.jpg
Tiffany2.jpg

This is Leon's 6 prongs version. I like the 4 prongs version better ... so unique.
Leon-r968_010Ww.jpg

This is the WhiteFlash version.
WF-DOwn.jpg

PSU335i

Rough_Rock
RayEarth|1301542895|2883976 said:
My budget is about $30,000. So looking at about 1.7, F/VS characteristics. I can find 3-4 diamonds within that criteria in WF in their ACA range (more if you expand to expert selection), but none in the BGD armory. Not in a particular hurry so can wait till May to see the new stocks but I have never really thought it would be an issue getting a WF diamond set in BGD setting? I remember in the BGD FAQ which specifically said you don't have to buy the diamond from them to buy their setting. May be there is more politics behind it (esp if they are in the same building)?

Shouldn't be a problem especially since they are physically close to eachother. Also, if i can remember right, BG is one of WF's co-founders.

Lightfoot

Rough_Rock
PSU335i|1301579609|2884173 said:
RayEarth|1301542895|2883976 said:

Shouldn't be a problem especially since they are physically close to eachother. Also, if i can remember right, BG is one of WF's co-founders.

Yeah - I didn't mean to imply that one option was better than the other (waiting for BGD or diamond from WF and setting from BGD). I was just throwing out options. BG is one of the co-founders of WF.

I also don't see why they would have a problem with setting a stone from WF. They've set outside stones (their most recent blog post is about an outside stone they set in one of their settings). And of course, they simply don't have what you want in stock right now anyway.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results