shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany reproductions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Just curious, are the majority of people that set their stones in Tiffany replica or reproduction settings passing their rings off as Tiffany rings? Do they say they bought it at Tiffany''s if asked, even if they didn''t?

I''m about to have my diamonds set into the Tiffany three-stone setting, and I have no intention of telling folks that the ring was purchased at Tiffany''s. I just happen to love their clean and simple lines, but I could care less about where folks think my ring was purchased.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Is that what you want to do? I would not. I am proud of my ring and do not care if it didn''t come from T&Co. You should be too.

reena

Ideal_Rock
if i''m not mistaken, rosy does have a diamond from t&co.

right?

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Why would it matter?
Anyone could say anything about any stone... or any setting for that matter?
What is the point?

I can guarantee you that people do this. Fiance''s may even tell their Fiancee''s that they got if from there.
In fact, our appraiser said that one time the FI didn''t tell his wife to be that he got a CZ for her. The appraiser broke it to her (with both of them there... how weird).

I''m just curious on why this matters at all?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure people do pass it off...But to tell you the truth, if I said, What a Lovely Ring....and then someone replied, Thanks, It's from Tiffany....even if it wasn't or it actually was....I would be like EWWWWW. What a tacky response either way....(assuming it's not a close friend or family member)...

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I have a 6 prong Tiffany style engagement ring but I would never lie and say it''s from Tiffany. Nobody has even asked me where I purchased my ring from they comment on how beautiful and sparkly the diamond is.
emotion-5.gif

cambo

Rough_Rock
Same here. I chose the Tiffany six-prong setting for my (now
9.gif
) fiancee''s ring because I knew she would love the simple, timeless elegance of it, not because it was the "Tiffany" setting. We certainly wouldn''t try to pretend it was a Tiffany ring if someone were to ask. If someone wants to be able to say their ring is from Tiffany, I would suggest just buying a ring from Tiffany.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would tell people (if ask) the diamond is real but the setting is a tiff copy.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I have a repro of the Tiff Etoile and I tell everyone who asks that I got it from White Flash. I also tell people about PS and the many great on-line Vendors who provide great quality at unbeatable prices. I hope others will spend some time to learn a little and save a lot.
2.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2004 11:46:20 AM
Author: moremoremore

I''m sure people do pass it off...But to tell you the truth, if I said, What a Lovely Ring....and then someone replied, Thanks, It''s from Tiffany....even if it wasn''t or it actually was....I would be like EWWWWW. What a tacky response either way....(assuming it''s not a close friend or family member)...
Well said!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. The one I bought is a Tiffany style ring, but there are subtle differences that I think make it nicer than the Tiffany style. Plus, it''s 4 prongs.

Still, even if it was an exact replica, I wouldn''t say it''s a Tiffany ring. During my research, coworkers and friends universally don''t hold Tiffany engagement rings in that high regard. The jewelry stores I talked to universally say they''re way overpriced, but the fact that my friends and coworkers don''t think too highly of the Tiffany engagement rings says something to me.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2004 5:52
6.gif
1 PM
Author: codex57
Nope. The one I bought is a Tiffany style ring, but there are subtle differences that I think make it nicer than the Tiffany style. Plus, it''s 4 prongs.

Still, even if it was an exact replica, I wouldn''t say it''s a Tiffany ring. During my research, coworkers and friends universally don''t hold Tiffany engagement rings in that high regard. The jewelry stores I talked to universally say they''re way overpriced, but the fact that my friends and coworkers don''t think too highly of the Tiffany engagement rings says something to me.
Great points you bring up, as no one I know really even cares of thinks of Tiffany! And these are people who all have significant stones and rings, as well as other jewelry. I would tend to agree with you that no one in my circles thinks highly or anything at all of Tiffany. They would not be impressed just because it was a Tiffany ring. I get the impression that the pull for Tiffany is more evident in the NYC area/region, whereas I''m in Southern California and no one cares, even if they have large beautiful diamonds and other designer jewelry. Which actually brings me to another point, that being that it seems the people I know are more impressed with and aspire to own various other jewelry designer''s pieces but not that of Tiffany.

sluke

Shiny_Rock
I have a Tiffany style ring and have been asked if it is a Tiffany ring. I always say no, it''s just a Tiffany style.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. Becasue of what my husband does, we are aquainted with many people who are kind of well-to-do, several of whom were either recently engaged or married and NO ONE got a ring from Tiffany. rather, the "thing to do" is go to your "connection" (e.g., private jeweler who can hook you up) and get a big rock at a better price.

Go figure. I hate to say it, but in my experience/local scene, Tiffany''s is seen as "noveau riche" and a waste. Don''t kill the messenger--I''m just reporting in from Soprano land.
2.gif
1.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
I''m always getting asked (even by jewellers) if my six-prong is Tiffany. In fact, the setting was made by a jeweller that used to work for Tiffany, so it kind of is and kind of isn''t
36.gif
But I would never lie.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
PQ it''s good to see you again!!
1.gif
Hope all is well!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/27/2004 11:37:49 AM
Author: reena
if i''m not mistaken, rosy does have a diamond from t&co.

right?
Hi, yes I do have the real Tiffany & Co. ring. I guess if I didn''t get it at Tiffany''s I wouldn''t bother getting a reproduction of it because I don''t like having things that are not authentic. I would choose a different setting. Anyway that''s just a personal decision. But I can see why people get reproductions of it not because they want to pass it off as a Tiffany but because it''s truly graceful & beautiful the way the prongs "hug" the diamond without looking like those awful metal claws you see all too frequently. There goes the right reasons!

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
I have a Tiffany style 6 prong too. People notice my stone first and then comment about how much the love this type of classic solitare setting. I don''t try to pass it off as a Tiffs. Like PQ, this is my opportunity to tell folks about Pricescope and the wonderful education you get here and the great community of helpful people and great e-vendors.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2004 11:44:55 AM
Author: laney
Why would it matter?
Anyone could say anything about any stone... or any setting for that matter?
What is the point?

I can guarantee you that people do this. Fiance''s may even tell their Fiancee''s that they got if from there.
In fact, our appraiser said that one time the FI didn''t tell his wife to be that he got a CZ for her. The appraiser broke it to her (with both of them there... how weird).

I''m just curious on why this matters at all?
I wonder how often that happens. A local jeweler had the same thing happen....she had no idea she actually had a CZ that her fiance bought her. The guy then tried to accuse the jeweler of switching stones. I would be absolutely livid if my hubby tried to pass off a CZ as a diamond. If a guy can''t afford a diamond then hold off on a ring, or at least tell her upfront and not try to pass the stone off as diamond.

Other things he''s dealt with is telling numerous people they had fake Rolex''s. Some of those customers got angry at the JEWELER...like it''s his fault the customer purchased a fake. When these customers ask the jeweler if they are real, they must have had a little doubt to even ask.
20.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2004 11:48
6.gif
6 AM
Author: lmurden
I have a 6 prong Tiffany style engagement ring but I would never lie and say it''s from Tiffany. Nobody has even asked me where I purchased my ring from they comment on how beautiful and sparkly the diamond is.
emotion-5.gif
I''ve had a few people (friends and family) ask where my diamond was purchased. Most of them were in the market for a diamond and wanted my opinion on the store. A few people are just nosy...but I don''t care. It''s not from some big fancy place, just a local store.

But I agree with what others have said, it shouldn''t matter where the ring came from and I think it''s tacky to just offer the information without being asked...to me it''s bragging, and who really cares? I highly doubt that the people who are like that would offer the same info if the ring had been purchased at Wal-Mart.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany''s styles are classic and beautiful--I like their classic solitaire very very much. I guess we''ve gotten to the point where that high-quality and look can be reroduced successfully without the T&Co premium.

To each her own--I can see a woman really loving a T&Co. piece becasue from a little girl, she always just wanted her diamond from there. Or maybe all the friends have one and you just want one too. Or maybe you really feel that nothing comes close to the "real thing." So what? It''s what makes you happy. If my DH came home with a little blue box, I''d bonk him on the head-it''s not special enough to me to justify the higher cost (and resulting smaller size stone I would have).
1.gif

OF course, if it was one of those custom T&Co. pieces that only they could make and I had to have it, well...I guess I''d find a way to deal.
9.gif

Mayacamas

Rough_Rock
What we need to understand is that most people DONT spend hours learning about diamonds, and retail jewelers ( some good, most bad- especially the chain stores) do not provide security in purchase.

No matter what you say about Tiffany's they have good quality mechandise with elegant design- who doesnt like that?

They also cost roughly about 3x what you could find from another jeweler- if you want to spend the time and energy to look.

I probably wouldnt bonk my husband over the head if he bought me something from Tiffanys- I would take it back, I would call one of the better online jewelers reproduce it, and I would invest the rest in my retirement/ Kashmir sapphire fund.

But thats me
35.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/28/2004 9:22:22 AM
Author: Mayacamas
What we need to understand is that most people DONT spend hours learning about diamonds, and retail jewelers ( some good, most bad- especially the chain stores) do not provide security in purchase.

No matter what you say about Tiffany''s they have good quality mechandise with elegant design- who doesnt like that?

They also cost roughly about 3x what you could find from another jeweler- if you want to spend the time and energy to look.
35.gif

I don''t have a problem with people who go to Tiffany''s for that reason. My fiancee has a coworker who received a genuine Tiffany ring. She got all mad cuz she was like "hey, you could have gotten me a stone twice the size of this one for teh same price if you had gone somewhere else!" I don''t blame him too much tho. Besides the fact that he wanted to get her something name brand, he''s a doctor running more than one clinic. The poor guy''s extremely busy. Tiffany is great for people with lots of money, but little time or just like that wealthy "don''t care how much it costs" atmosphere at those really high end places. I have an uncle like that. Fairly busy, very well off, and likes being catered to in those real snooty places. But, they do make pretty nice stuff tho so if you can afford it, why not? Having so many choices on luxury goods is part of what''s so great about living in a capitalistic country.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2004 8:59:50 AM
Author: DiamondsRagirlsbestfriend
I''m about to have my diamonds set into the Tiffany three-stone setting, and I have no intention of telling folks that the ring was purchased at Tiffany''s. I just happen to love their clean and simple lines, but I could care less about where folks think my ring was purchased.

Ditto !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results