shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany replica frustration

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kiziki84

Rough_Rock
Hello to you all!

I got engaged about three months ago, and my boyfriend proposed with his grandmother''s anniversary ring. He said he''d like me to have a new ring of my own that we''ll pick out together. My mother offered me my grandmother''s engagement diamond, which is a European cut round between 35 and 45 points (it is still in the original setting). I would very much like a replica of a Tiffany & Co. round solitaire engagement ring setting. I have been browsing the forums here for quite some time, so I''m aware that there are many good replicas on the market. However, there are a few problems.

I''m having a hard time finding a setting in white gold. My grandmother was allergic to platinum, and it has always irritated my skin as well. Also, I think platinum is overpriced (my fiance and I are on a budget!). And I''d really rather not have a yellow gold ring; I just don''t like the look.

Another problem is that I already have a stone. A lot of online jewelry stores will only sell a setting with the purchase of a diamond. I have considered purchasing a low quality stone of similar carat weight to mine, removing it, setting my grandmother''s diamond, and selling the superfluous diamond. Is this a foolish idea? Also, I have found some settings that I absolutely love, but they are not available with heads small enough to fit around my stone.

Finally, I have run into the problem of price. I have found some white gold settings for as high as $500, which I personally find a bit ridiculous. I would like to buy my setting for no more than $300, if at all possible.

If anyone has any advice, ideas, and/or opinions, I''d love to hear from you. Thank you in advance for all your help!

-K''Lani

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
Are you absolutely sure that you are allergic to platinum? Most people who have an allergic reaction get it from white gold. Yes, that is a foolish idea. It might make sense to go to a local jeweler for the setting. shipping the diamond back and forth to an online vendor will cost you at least $100 I think.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
in my experience, for $300 you will not be able to get a 'tiffany replica' that ACTUALLY looks like the real tiffany.

all the cheapo under $300 settings that are out there are going to be tiffany replicas but they won't look remotely like the real tiffany. there are small nuances in the head and the shank that separate really good tiffany replicas from everyone else who calls it a tiffany replica.

i know union diamonds has a really good tiffany replica, kit has it, but i am not sure if it comes in WG or just platinum, but i want to say it was around $500-600?

whiteflash has a great one that is about $900 in platinum (not sure about WG). whiteflash also sells the cheapo tiffany one for like $200 but if you compare the two they look nothing alike. people should just start renaming those other ones to 'basic 6 prong setting' or something.

superbcert has a really great one that looks almost spot on for about $900 in platinum, again not sure about WG.

and niceice also has a great one but i don't know how much it is running.

hope this helps, just be sure that you know WHAT EXACTLY you are buying...if you want it to look very close to the real setting from Tiffanys then don't get a cheapo $200 knockoff...it will be obvious it's not the same. good luck!!

oh and don't buy a stone then try to sell it because you won't get remotely close to what you paid for it. it's fairly difficult for a consumer to resell a stone to the open market OR to a jeweler....more difficult than most people think. you'd lose money.

Kiziki84

Rough_Rock
Mara,

Thank you for your response. I suppose I should give in and spend more money.

I really like the SuperbCert/Excel Diamonds replica, but it is only available in platinum or yellow gold. Some of my friends have their yellow gold jewelry plated in rhodium to give it that white gold look. Do you know anything about this process? Pros and cons?

Sorry for all the questions; you just seem very knowledgeable!

Thanks again for the help!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2006 9:09:38 PM
Author: Kiziki84
Mara,

Thank you for your response. I suppose I should give in and spend more money.

I really like the SuperbCert/Excel Diamonds replica, but it is only available in platinum or yellow gold. Some of my friends have their yellow gold jewelry plated in rhodium to give it that white gold look. Do you know anything about this process? Pros and cons?

Sorry for all the questions; you just seem very knowledgeable!

Thanks again for the help!

I wouldn''t recommend buying a yellow gold ring if you really want a white metal. The cost and maintenance of re-rhodium plating the ring every 3-9 months would be extremely annoying. If you like the Superbcert replica, inquire how much it would be to make it in white gold. I agree with Mara, though, that you won''t get anything like a true tiffany replica for $300. I would expect to pay at least $5-600 for anything even close. Good luck and let us know what you find!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, you''re better off spending a bit more and getting something exactly like you want it. white metal and close to the tiffany. otherwise, chances are you won''t be completely happy and end up changing it again sometime in the future spending even more money.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Are you absolutely sure you are allergic to platinum? There is nothing allergenic alloyed with platinum, but white gold is alloyed with nickel which causes allergies. You may want to make sure you are not allergic to white gold before you invest in a ring. I would be surprised if you are allergic to platinum but not white gold...

I own the Superbcert replica in platinum. I have to say, it is totally worth it. I have owned it for 2.5 years and it is set so solid and so well made. I went into Tiffany''s and the saleswoman was examining it on my finger and did not know it wasn''t Tiffany. She offered to clean and check the prongs, etc. The prongs are much better set and shaped than the real Tiffany, Tiff Signed pieces ring

See how they protrude over the top of the stone in view 3 and 4? My prongs are a lot more subtle than that- due to great craftmanship by exceldiamonds. They are more claw-like.

I would either go for the platinum one or this one because it looks very similar- did you see this one?:

Superbcert 14K white gold

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinkflamingo, what kind of band do you wear with your e-ring? I am wondering if the e-ring stone is set too low to pair with a channel set band? I don''t want the band to be too thick and hit the prongs of the e-ring. Do you have a link to pics?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS..Demelza tried on her superbcert with a channel set ring...she also posted pictures in her threads.

she actually has had a really hard time pairing up her SC tiffany e-ring with any sort of w-ring other than the basic platinum one that comes with it.

So caveat...just be aware of that. I think right now she wears her basic w-ring that came with the set more than anything else. The knife edge makes it kind of difficult to really make anything else look like it is a true ''set''.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Allergic to Platinum
33.gif

Are you sure ?

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I wear it with a simple 2.5 mm comfort fit band. It fits perfectly, actually, although it is slightly boring. I dont have any pics right now but I will try to take one- my digicam really stinks.

Kiziki84

Rough_Rock
I have never been tested for or diagnosed with a platinum allergy. I know that both my grandmother and I have had red, irritated, itchy skin, and infected earlobes from wearing platinum rings or earrings. I have worn white gold with no problems whatsoever.

Why does everyone say that platinum is better than gold anyway? I''ve heard that scratches don''t buff out of platinum, and it loses its luster over time. Is this true?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2006 3:43:43 PM
I have never been tested for or diagnosed with a platinum allergy. I know that both my grandmother and I have had red, irritated, itchy skin, and infected earlobes from wearing platinum rings or earrings. I have worn white gold with no problems whatsoever.

Why does everyone say that platinum is better than gold anyway? I''ve heard that scratches don''t buff out of platinum, and it loses its luster over time. Is this true?
It is the nickel in the white gold that people are usually allergic to. But regardless, if you know you can wear white gold, that''s all that matters! But no, it is not true that scratches do not buff out of platinum. It does develop a grayish patina over time if not polished. You can restore it to shiny new condition anytime you please! The disadvantage of white gold is that it is made with yellow gold and needs to be occasionally rhodium plated to stay white. So both wg and platinum need maintenance to stay looking great!

Kiziki84

Rough_Rock
I''ve been doing some thinking about my situation and weighing the pros and cons of each of my options.

The Tiffany replicas I like the most are from Excel Diamonds and Union Diamond. Assuming that their platinum won''t irritate my skin, I can get the Excel Diamonds ring for $1250. I e-mailed them, and it is not available in white gold. I would want the matching wedding band, of course, so that''s another $450. The Union Diamond setting is available in white gold for $200, but they do not sell settings without the purchase of a diamond.

At this point, I am seriously considering making a trip to Tiffany & Co. They will not allow me to use my grandmother''s engagement diamond, so I would have to buy a new one from them. I''m okay with that. I could always put my grandmother''s diamond in another piece of jewelry.

I will have to speak with them regarding their return/exchange policy just in case the platinum ring irritates my skin.

Has anyone had experience with Tiffany & Co.? Does anyone have opinions and/or advice?

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it sounded like you were on a budget for the ring, and if that is the case Tiffany is not the way to go...their markup is about 40% over a regular retail store...which is already marked up to begin with! people have posted some Tiffany prices in the past and they were INSANE. Like 2ce what you''d pay for an online stone.

So I''m not sure what you are looking at spending, but it seems like going to Tiffany goes against what you seem to be wanting, you just get the setting and a really expensive stone. I''d get a replica like the Union one or the Superbcert one and maybe get a diamond from them!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my. The reason people here buy their Tiffany reproductions from SuperbCert is because you'll pay about double for a diamond ring at Tiffany's. You can get a diamond of equal or even better quality from one of these vendors and then have it set in the Superbcert setting for faaaar less than buying at Tiffany's. I have never heard of anyone being allergic to platinum. That's why many people choose it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thought. Quest Jewelers will make a Tiffany reproduction, and it is possible they''d make it in 18k wg for you. But a custom setting is usually not returnable.

Kiziki84

Rough_Rock
Yes, I am on a budget. Tiffany''s offers financing; I''m looking into it. I''m also looking into eBay. There are a lot of reasonably priced Tiffany & Co. rings up for sale.

If I went to Union Diamond and got the ring I wanted, I''d have to buy a diamond to go with it. If I''m going to spend the extra money on a stone, I might as well get a real Tiffany ring, new or used.

Has anyone used eBay to purchase jewelry? Anything I should be aware of?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a real Tiffany ring for much less than you'll pay AT Tiffany's ...

I would not buy anything "Tiffany" on ebay as there is WIDESPREAD tiffany fraud on there.

ETA: ooops it's platinum ... does Tiffany even sell white gold??

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
You will pay a premium for Tiffany rings but they are beautiful. Don''t know whether it was intentional or not but the sales lady showed me her ring side by side with one of the Tiffany''s. It was a good sales move in any case. I believe they have a 30-day return policy, check to be sure and mention the platinum allergy thing. They are beautiful rings but like I said they come with a premium, well because it''s a Tiffany. Some folks might say that no one else will know that its a Tiffany...true....but you would. BTW, I ended up not buying from them but came really really close. The 1.12 G VS1 wask 15K and the 1.55 G VVS1 was 28K and the 2 ct F VVS2 was
6.gif
. Well you get the idea. Good luck!

Kiziki84

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the info.....

I am going to look into getting a Quest Tiffany setting in white gold.

If I go to Tiffany''s, I am planning on purchasing a very small diamond with my ring, maybe as small as 20 points. They allow diamond upgrading, so when my fiance and I are out of college a few years, we can afford a bigger stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2006 5:06:23 PM
Yes, I am on a budget. Tiffany''s offers financing; I''m looking into it. I''m also looking into eBay. There are a lot of reasonably priced Tiffany & Co. rings up for sale.

If I went to Union Diamond and got the ring I wanted, I''d have to buy a diamond to go with it. If I''m going to spend the extra money on a stone, I might as well get a real Tiffany ring, new or used.

Has anyone used eBay to purchase jewelry? Anything I should be aware of?
DON''T buy a diamond ring off ebay!!! If you want to know why, do a search on this site. Toooo many bad stories!!!

If you want a second-hand Tiffany ring, then by all means watch the Signed Pieces website. That is the best place to buy one and you will benefit from their lower prices.

http://www.signedpieces.com/search.cfm?vendor_id=43

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I think Tiffany only has one upgrade per lifetime allowed, but I could be mistaken. also, the smallest diamond you can get there would be .25 carats, and it would be around $3K. What about the white gold exceldiamonds setting I listed above? It looks very similar to their platinum one, and it is $500.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m with the others who said to not buy a Tiffany ring off of ebay. there is a lot of fraud and just not worth the hassle or risk IMO. Also, as someone said, Tiffany only allows one trade up. I would strongly recommend shopping elsewhere since you''re on a budget. I''d find a nice stone and let Quest make you a Tiffany setting in WG since that is what you are wanting. Here''s a picture of the ring Quest made for JadieJewel

viewfromside1as.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2006 6:03:49 PM
Author: pinkflamingo
I think Tiffany only has one upgrade per lifetime allowed, but I could be mistaken. also, the smallest diamond you can get there would be .25 carats, and it would be around $3K. What about the white gold exceldiamonds setting I listed above? It looks very similar to their platinum one, and it is $500.
The $500 one is actually a Stuller Solstice 6 prong with peg head...yes, I have been looking at settings too much! So she could get that setting many places.

mrssalvo, thanks for digging up jadie''s Quest ring! I didn''t have the energy to find it earlier! (Like your new doggie picture!)

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Wasn''t sure if you''ve seen this, but it looks like a pretty good replica, and it comes in white gold for a great price:

http://www.betterthandiamond.com/diamonds/jewelry/rings/repro.tiff.solitaire.php

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Let''s see if I can attach a photo of it. The price is listed at $290 for 18k white.

tiff.repro.profile.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Facetfire! That is a great find and might be just what Kiziki is looking for!

Kiziki84

Rough_Rock
FacetFire,

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have already looked at Better Than Diamond''s replica, and it''s wonderful. The only problem is, the smallest diamond the setting can hold is .75 carats, and they don''t offer custom sizing on the head. So if I got this setting, I''d have to buy a new diamond. Thanks for giving me the info about this ring....I''ll keep watching the website to see if they ever offer it for smaller stones.

My fiance and I are discussing our options, and we''ve determined that we need to budget more for this ring than expected. I am going to look at every jeweler I possibly can here in Springfield, IL. If I can''t find anything, we''re going to take a trip to Tiffany''s in St. Louis. I have only ever seen pictures, and never seen a Tiffany''s ring in person. Hopefully I can find a second hand one at signedpieces.com, and this way I''ll be able to know exactly what it is I''ll be buying.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your suggestions (and keep ''em coming). I''ll let you guys know if I make a decision and/or a purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results