shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Proposal Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AStack75

Shiny_Rock
So how do people do proposals with Tiffany rings?

Most proposals I''ve seen usually involves the guy getting on his knee and opening the clamshell box (or whatever they are called) that the ring is in so that the girl can see the ring.

So how do people do it with Tiffany rings? Get on your knee and just present the little blue box with the pretty white bow and let her open it?

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think there is particular standard for proposing with a Tiffany ring. At least I''ve never heard of such a thing. A proposal is a proposal. Although I have heard of people proposing in the Tiffany''s store more than once.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance proposed with a Cartier ring, which they had wrapped in paper and sealed with wax! He actually snapped about 10 photos of me excitedly unwrapping the box - I look like a kid at Christmas -- could be a fun photo op!!

AStack75

Shiny_Rock
I realize there''s not a "standard" proposal. My question is more on the lines of... Ok, I paid thousands extra for this little blue box with a bow. I sure as s--t am going to keep it in the box when I present it to her for the first time. Do I just give her the box and let her do all the work? Do I let her take the bow off, then I take out and open up the clam shell box to her?

I''m just thinking about EVERY little detail, so that when I do pop the question, everything hopefully goes smoothly. You only get to propose for the first time once in your life. Might as well try to make it perfect.

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Astack75 - may I ask why you bought a Tiffany in the first place? Did your GF want one? If so, she should be able to recognize the design with no problem and you really should not worry about the box if it does not fit with the way you wanted to propose. If you just bought it because it is a Tiffany and need to show the blue box to signal to her how much you have invested in the ring - well, let''s say that I think that other things are more important. You would not put a note on tge box either with the total price of what you spent on the ring, right?
Good luck!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think a proposal with a Tiffany box should be any different--she''s going to know it''s from Tiffany, anyway, so I don''t see any reason to incorporate the brand into the proposal. Unless, of course, it is important to her.

I was proposed to with a wrapped box. Long story short, my husband bought my ring the day I left him for dragging his feet. He carried the ring box with him every day for 3 months while he figured out what to do--it went with him when he drove 26 hours straight to show up on my doorstep (then 26 hours straight home when he realized he still wasn''t ready). The box accompanied him on a cross-country trip while he cleared his mind and tried to figure out what he wanted out of his life. He even took it to work every day so it was always near him. Anyway, you get the idea. He presented me with the tattered, weathered wrapped box because it was a symbol of his journey to that moment.

So obviously the wrapping was important to him, but it was still a teensy bit funny being proposed to with a wrapped box. With both of us on our knees I had to untie the knot, carefully peel back the paper, open the box, open another box and the whole thing seemed to take an eternity! Not a bad thing, just something to think about if you''re thinking of proposing with a box. The whole "slipping the ring on her finger" thing isn''t exactly easy....

AStack75

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 10:12:55 AM
Author: rob09
Astack75 - may I ask why you bought a Tiffany in the first place? Did your GF want one?
I love the Tiffany brand. She doesn''t actually even own any diamonds. It''s all me choosing Tiffany. I realize I am paying a lot more for a brand name, but I''m okay with that.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Doesn''t the ring box have Tiffany written inside of it?

AStack75

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 2:05:35 PM
Author: MoonWater
Doesn''t the ring box have Tiffany written inside of it?
Yes it does. But that would take away from the whole blue box thing if I didn''t give it to her in the blue box, no?

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but it appears to be more important to you for her to see that blue box. I don't think it makes a difference considering the ring is from Tiffanys and the inside of the ring box says as much. But, if you really want her to see that box, then simply propose with it. The details of how is completely up to you. Present the blue box as you would present an open ring box.

ETA: Here's an idea, propose to her with the box, let her open it and have it empty in the inside. When she looks up at you confused, have the ring box open showing her the ring. Then you get the best of both.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 2:58:16 PM
Author: MoonWater
I hope you don''t take this the wrong way, but it appears to be more important to you for her to see that blue box. I don''t think it makes a difference considering the ring is from Tiffanys and the inside of the ring box says as much. But, if you really want her to see that box, then simply propose with it. The details of how is completely up to you. Present the blue box as you would present an open ring box.

ETA: Here''s an idea, propose to her with the box, let her open it and have it empty in the inside. When she looks up at you confused, have the ring box open showing her the ring. Then you get the best of both.

Ditto and ditto.

LauraBabe08

Shiny_Rock
My fiance proposed on christmas eve with a Tiffany Solitare. He did not present it to me in the "blue box" with the white ribbon, or even in the "clamshell box." He put the loose ring in an envelope that was glued to the end of a book that he made for me with photos of all the places that have special meaning to us.

He gave me the various Tiffany boxes later, after the proposal.

Why do you want the brand name to be so predominate during your proposal? I know you said that you spent a lot of money on the ring so you want it to be known it''s a Tiffany, but that was your decision. If it''s such a financial burden, which it seems like it might be, then maybe a Tiffany ring was not the right decision for you.

AStack75

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/24/2008 1:16:28 AM
Author: LauraBabe08
Why do you want the brand name to be so predominate during your proposal? I know you said that you spent a lot of money on the ring so you want it to be known it''s a Tiffany, but that was your decision. If it''s such a financial burden, which it seems like it might be, then maybe a Tiffany ring was not the right decision for you.
Nahh, it isn''t a financial burden. Not sure what I said that would suggest that it is a burden. I''m just wondering how people propose with these brand name rings which come in these signature boxes. That''s all.

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Not to cut the topic short, but the answer to your question is:
"People with brand-name rings who bought them because they liked the design of the ring INDEPENDENT of the brand will propose the way they would have with ANY kind of engagement ring. People who focus on the brand name will restrict their ways to propose in ways in which they can show off the brand name, meaning box/bow/tag/certificate".
Or to make it more clear - it is like someone having to drive a Porsche at 100mph versus someone being comfortable driving it at 55mph.
Cheers ...

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Not speaking from experience about T., but I would love to get the box as part of the proposal, seeing thats its there anyway!!!!! I think the added suspense, as well as the obvious excitment involved with opening a ring box, a blue one no less, would just add to the moment!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring came in a clamshell box (actually it was more like the cartier one that opens on both sides), and it was fit inside another small box that was tied with a beautiful iridecent bow. It was gorgeous, but hard to conceal, so DH only proposed with the inner box. Our jeweler also gave us a bottle of champagne, chocolates, and champagne flutes, so when DH showed me all the loot afterward, he showed me the box then as well. It was still very fun to see even though I didn''t actually open it.

I''ve received the Tiffany Blue Box quite a few times, and sure there is a moment of glee involved when untying that ribbon - but I think the Tiffany BLACK ring box is even more classic and heart stopping. That box says "this isn''t a pair of Elsa Peretti silver earrings," if you catch my drift. Maybe you could put something extra in the blue box - (btw, they''re pretty simple to re-tie because of the creases in the ribbon)- like a note or letter for her to open after the proposal (or you could even incorporate it as PART of your proposal).

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I am going to differ with everyone on this, but I would have loved mine wrapped up and in the bag........NOT because of the brand, but because I LOVE LOVE LOVE wrapping paper and bows :)
31.gif
30.gif
31.gif
I just really love opening presents.....

I second the comment on the Tiffany Black Box. I have many and just love them....so soft :)

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
AStack75- Many PS'ers will always put down Tiffany. So pay no attention to them. You sound like a really great guy, don't regret your purchase because it WAS worth the money if you think so! I've always wanted a Tiffany engagement ring. So I have thought myself how my boyfriend would propose with the blue box thing too. Here were my thoughts....

If I were you, here is what I would do: Give her the blue box, ribbon and all. Allow her to undo the ribbon, and open the blue box. From there, take the blue box away from her and take the ring box out of the blue box yourself, get down on one knee and open up the ring box and BAM there it is, her pretty Tiffany ring with you asking for her hand in marriage!!!!!
30.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Who put down Tiffany in this thread? I thought a lot of people (myself included) gave good suggestions.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you see yourself proposing, do you see her untying ribbon, opening a box, lifting a lid? Or do you see yourself opening the box for her?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one put down Tiffany. A lot of people have said that the focus is on the wrong thing, the brand of the box, which is what would be said if someone was obsessing about the WF, Kay Jewellers, or Cartier box as well.

I think the question boils down to personality. I dislike opening presents. I''m hard to please and opening presents makes me feel as though all eyes are on me. Rather than having a natural reaction, I attempt to arrange my expression in the way I think will please the gift giver.

In reading several people''s proposal stories on here it also seems that a lot of people immediately went in for the hug, kiss, embrace rather than looking at the ring at all. If she''s the type to go for the embrace then handing her a wrapped up bag and box might be weird for you.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me, and this is only an opinion, I would prefer for my intended to be down on his knee with nothing more than the ring in his hand (whether it be from Tiffany, Cartier or Walmart). The box just doesn''t feel as romantic to me.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Obviously I was NOT referring to anyone who hasn''t said anything about Tiffany''s. I meant generally speaking because there are many who will put it down.
40.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I think it makes sense that someone who spent a little extra to get the brand name would want it to be known; brands have a certain value unto themselves. And there is nothing wrong with wanting to let your intended know that you''ve given her a brand ring that many people consider to be special and valuable. Not everyone feels the same way about brands, but if the whole point of shopping Tiffany is to have the Tiffany, then ...use it.

I think Dreamgirl''s proposal idea was a good one.

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the BigT. If the box/brand is important to you, then you should find a way to propose that shows it. There are many good ideas that have been posted. I would only be concerned if you had thought of a way/context that you REALLY liked that would NOT be compatible with the box/brand and that you would not consider it because of that fact. The occasion/context will IMHO be much more memorable than the box or brand name itself.
Good luck!

Tar Heel

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 9:53:47 AM
Author: AStack75
I realize there''s not a ''standard'' proposal. My question is more on the lines of... Ok, I paid thousands extra for this little blue box with a bow. I sure as s--t am going to keep it in the box when I present it to her for the first time. Do I just give her the box and let her do all the work? Do I let her take the bow off, then I take out and open up the clam shell box to her?

I''m just thinking about EVERY little detail, so that when I do pop the question, everything hopefully goes smoothly. You only get to propose for the first time once in your life. Might as well try to make it perfect.

I love how you say "you only get to propose FOR THE FIRST TIME once in your life." The multiple marriage folks out there thank you for that dinstinction. haha

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 10:11:36 PM
Author: TheBigT
I think Dreamgirl''s proposal idea was a good one.
Thanks! I really think so too.
3.gif

AStack- ooooh, I just got another idea! Maybe go back to Tiffany''s and ask them about engagement stories that they have heard from customers. I bet they have some good ideas on using the blue box as well.
28.gif

Please let us know what you do!!! Best of luck to you.

jsu1995

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 9:53:47 AM
Author: AStack75
I realize there''s not a ''standard'' proposal. My question is more on the lines of... Ok, I paid thousands extra for this little blue box with a bow. I sure as s--t am going to keep it in the box when I present it to her for the first time. Do I just give her the box and let her do all the work? Do I let her take the bow off, then I take out and open up the clam shell box to her?

Let me ask you this... are you also going to present the GIA certificate at the time of the proposal also?
6.gif

jsu1995

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/24/2008 10:07:34 AM
Author: rob09
Not to cut the topic short, but the answer to your question is:
''People with brand-name rings who bought them because they liked the design of the ring INDEPENDENT of the brand will propose the way they would have with ANY kind of engagement ring. People who focus on the brand name will restrict their ways to propose in ways in which they can show off the brand name, meaning box/bow/tag/certificate''.
Or to make it more clear - it is like someone having to drive a Porsche at 100mph versus someone being comfortable driving it at 55mph.
Cheers ...

Yeah, I bought a Vatche X-prong setting only because I like the design and couldn''t find any other brand that matched the design AND quality. I did found many lesser brands that were similar but they all looked "cheap" compared to the Vatche. The way I plan on proposing requires me not to have a bulky ring box in my pocket, and I would not change that just so she could see the brand of the ring I bought.

Besides, my girlfriend is not that big on jewelry anyway, so she probably has never even heard of Vatche.
9.gif

AStack75-

There is some good advise above on how to use the box in the proposal, but please don’t think you HAVE TO use it just because you spent the money. The quality of the ring will surely reflect your investment… but if you really feel the need to brag, then just know that you will have the rest of your lives together to point out how much you spent.
22.gif

AStack75

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/24/2008 3:21:56 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
If I were you, here is what I would do: Give her the blue box, ribbon and all. Allow her to undo the ribbon, and open the blue box. From there, take the blue box away from her and take the ring box out of the blue box yourself, get down on one knee and open up the ring box and BAM there it is, her pretty Tiffany ring with you asking for her hand in marriage!!!!!
30.gif
Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I''m gonna do the above.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results