shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Pricing in Korea vs Canada/USA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gbear

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, this is my first post on these forums, so please go easy on me. ;-)

I''m working in Seoul, South Korea right now and I''ve started researching an engagement ring. I have my mind set on getting something from Tiffany! I think the quality and reputation of a Tiffany product speaks for itself. Also, my girlfriend already has two rings from Tiffany ($200 range).

I saw three rings today with the following pricing (my budget is looking at $8-10k CDN):

The selection here is not the greatest. They only had a few rings, but of high quality but smaller stones. Also, there is a 8% Korean luxury tax that I would get back if I was on a tourist visa--but I''m on a work visa, doh!

How do these prices compare to CDN Tiffany stores? USA Tiffany stores?
Lucida, .58ct, F, VVS2, 10.2m KRW ($11,777CDN)
Lucida, .54ct, F, VVS1, 10.1m KRW ($11,662CDN)
Novo, .45, F, VS1, 8.2m KRW ($9468CDN)

My question is, should I wait until I return back home to Canada to purchase my ring there? Or are the prices in Seoul better?

I''ve tried emailing Canada Customer Service to see if they could help. If anyone out there is living in Vancouver and could give me a ballpark on how much a .6-.8ct ring would cost (ranging in 8-10k if possible), I would be so grateful! Anyone have advice out there for an engagement ring rookie as myself?

21.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
As far as pricing goes, I''ve heard it''s higher outside of the US, so your best bet would probably be to call a store in the US and get price quotes for what you''re looking for.

Now, I don''t want to start up the Tiffany debate, but how set is your mind on getting a ring from Tiffany? It''s just that you can get so much more diamond for your money if you go elsewhere! Would your girlfriend rather have a .5 carat from Tiffany or a 1+ carat from someplace else?

If the Tiffany brand is really that important to her, go for it, but if you think she''d rather have a bigger, equally beautiful and high quality (some would say even better quality) diamond, I would check out some of the Pricescope vendors like Whiteflash.com or GoodOldGold.com.

Cosmogrrl

Rough_Rock
Hi there!
Well this is the situation my FI and I found ourselves in 6 months ago. We wanted a Tiffany''s as well (Novo) and although it wasn''t available in Canada when it was finally purchased, the results we found is that it''s a CRAZY price difference outside the US.
For instance, the matching band for my ring (which I will be purchasing this summer) is $2650 USD or $3400 CAD. That is a HUGE difference considering our dollar is almost the same right now.
I know not everyone here agrees with going with a Tiffanys - and I will say that there IS a hefty premium - but you should get her what you and her like.
I LOVE my ring
18.gif
and would not want anything different - however in the future I may look at getting something custom made by one of the reputable designers online (Leon Mege, etc).
I will tell you that my ring is a .61 cushion cut VS1 F colour and it was $8000 USD (plus tax). However I can tell you that the markup in CAD would be high.
Good luck with your decision!
1.gif

gbear

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think getting a Tiffany ring would be nice, but yeah the price difference is huge compared to others.When it comes to online retailers I don''t know how easy the process would be. For those in the Vancouver area, where did you buy your engagement ring??

pinkelephant

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I was just in the Tiffany''s store trying on rings last weekend. I priced out the novo... here are the stats for what I tried on.
1st ring, .85ct(center) with VS clarity and G color at $12000CAD
2nd ring, .95ct(center) with VVS clarity and F color at $17000CAD

That being said, the ring was really beautiful, however, my friend loved the Legacy ring from Tiffany''s, but did not like that it was bezel set. We got her ring custom made and comparing it to the actual ring in the Tiffany''s store was interesting. My friend''s ring is quite similar at a fraction of the cost. Her ring is .75ct(center), with SI clarity and G color, with pave diamonds and
cost $4500CAD.

Hope this helps!

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Hi gbear,

I live in Japan and Tiffany here is definitely more expensive. One reason is because everything is shipped from the US (NY maybe?), so they will add on shipping cost at least. Another is because yen is very weak right now. It seems that currency is not a problem for you because KRW is pretty strong right now. One way to check is to email the sales rep in either US or Canada, ask them the price of a similar ring, and compare.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 11:25:19 PM
Author: gbear
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think getting a Tiffany ring would be nice, but yeah the price difference is huge compared to others.When it comes to online retailers I don''t know how easy the process would be. For those in the Vancouver area, where did you buy your engagement ring??

There are a lot of Canadian Pricescopers! I would start a new thread with a title that says something about Canada ring purchasing and see who responds. Good luck!!

gbear

Rough_Rock
You guys rock big time (no pun intended ;)) I have already emailed a Tiffany CSR in Canada. Now, I am going to start a CDN ring shopping thread as suggested. Janey, thanks for posting the pricing of the Novo. Keep the ideas coming!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results