shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Novo - Your Advice Please!

Liv69

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone

I"m new to PriceScope and excited to be a part of your community!

My husband and I are about to celebrate ten years of marriage and I am looking for a ring to replace my current engagement ring. I've seen a second hand authentic Tiffany Novo with the following specs:

1.8 carat cushion diamond - I colour VS1 clarity
Estimated dimensions are 7.39 x 7.34 c 4.98

The asking price is US/AUD17,800 but we may be able to do a bit better if we bargain. Tiffany's have indicated that this ring would cost around $30,000 new.

I've attached a pic (excuse my awful hand!) What do you think?

Thanks!

Olivia

IMG_0601.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is gorgeous and would buy it myself if I had an extra $17k lying around!!! :love: :appl:

Let us know if you get it and post more pictures!!

Is it your size, though? If a little large you can add sizing beads, but I wouldn't buy it with the idea of resizing.

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
I think it's stunning and that you should definitely go for it! :appl:

Liv69

Rough_Rock
Hi Diamondseeker and Confusedaisy,

Thanks for your feedback.I originally set out to get a round brilliant around F/G SI1 1.5 carat in a similar setting.
I stumbled across this Tiffany ring totally by accident!

The ring is probably half a size too big but still ok.

Can u pls explain what the sizing beads are?

Also, What do you think would be a fair price to pay given it is a second hand piece?
And will I regret getting a I colour and a cushion stone versus a round?

Thanks gals!

Olivia

peonies

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to add my .02 : ) I resized a Tiffany Novo from a 6.5 to a 3.75 through Tiffany with no problem- it only cost me $93 (USA)! The integrity of the stone and setting was maintained perfectly, so don't worry about changing it a half size! Also, my Novo is an I, and I consider myself extremely color sensitive and I have had no problems with it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a half size, I'd probably do the sizing beads just because someday you may need the extra half size and it will be less stressful to the ring not to have to size it down and then back up! The beads are just two little balls of platinum added to the inside of the shank to help the ring fit better.

As far as whether you will regret it, I can only answer in terms of my own experience. I know I want a round for my everyday set. But would I love to have that Novo? Sure! I'd love to have an antique style cushion as well. So the problem is that when we like more than one thing, we'll always have a few others that we wish we had. You can easily find round Tiffany rings second hand also. But it would be hard to pass up that Novo at that price (but I'd offer maybe $15k just to see if they'll go lower). The ultimate solution to the problem is to have more than one e-ring, but I just haven't been able to justify that yet!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, just take it to T&CO and get it resized. That is the benefit of buying a Tiffany piece ... why live with sizing beads? I personally don't like them and rather have my ring fit properly.

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
It seems like a good price but I really have little to go on. The ring is spectacular and if you have the means, do it. She sure does sparkle.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea about the price, but that ring is gorgeous! It looks wonderful on your hand.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS! That's a great first post! :love: :love:

It's a beautiful ring - love it! Sounds like you are able to buy it for about half of retail? That's a real deal although I don't know what a similarly sized stone would sell for but don't know that I'd care. The one good thing about buying Tiffany is that they definitely have a resale market because of their name and because they pieces are generally lovely.

As for this vs. a round stone, only you can make that determination. I think this ring looks fantastic on you though - it would be hard to walk away from!

Please come back and let us know what you decided!

ked123

Rough_Rock
You queried about the color. I have a 1.9 I VS1 RB from Tiffany. Grant it, I am not really color sensitive, but the ring looks great to me. I get unsolicited advice all the time. I even had one (just about to get engaged friend) point to my ring as an example to her boyfriend on why you should pay more for a colorless diamond. LOL!

I try to keep the diamond clean at all times and it really sparkles. It is Triple Excellent for cut.

One of the advantages of getting something from Tiffany is that you'll get a fairly decent diamond that will be appealing in general to the masses. Yes, I know that you can get better for less (not trying to start that age old debate), but for the folks with little time/energy to research, they have a good product.

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
I would go for it in a heartbeat as it's one of my top three faves, and I am color sensitive. Make sure you have it checked out beforehand by a professional to make sure that the stone has not been damaged since it was originally purchased.

Liv69

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Ive just woken up to a bunch of new posts! Thanks so much for all your feedback and suggestions.

I think that I would probably have the ring resized in the end. The beads sound convenient for sure but I like the idea of having it made to fit me. I'm also going to take a girlfriend's advice and have it spiritually cleansed so that if there's any bad feelings lurking around they'll be shown the door...lol!! The ring was bought less than 18 months ago so it looks like something must have gone wrong for the couple who had it...

Re the colour I think I'd be ok with it and the photo confirms that it's sparkly and firey I reckon. I think the letter 'I' on the valuation form freaked me out a bit as when I set out on my journey to find a ring I had my heart set on a lovely white stone in the D-G range. It's definitely whiter than my current stone and it really sparkles so that's gotta help!

The setting is so pretty that I now think I'd be fine with it. I've shown a girlfriend and she loves it too. Most of my friends have round stones so at least this one would stand out from the crowd lol!

Re price, I rang the shop yesterday and spoke with the manager. I think I'm gonna struggle to get the ring for less than $17k. They're keen to sell it as it's been in their shop for a couple of months and they've rejected offers of 13k, 14k and 15k. No idea what they paid for it but a lot I'm guessing.

Why this ring I keep asking myself? I think I like the fact that it will keep it's value (as you guys say, the Tiffany's brand does have currency).

I just have to get my husband to agree with spending that amount...Or cut my losses and look for something else.

Cy2009cy

Rough_Rock
beautiful! beautiful!!
May I ask what kind of cushion for tiffany novo?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Cy2009cy|1302400355|2892300 said:
beautiful! beautiful!!
May I ask what kind of cushion for tiffany novo?

The Tiffany Novo most resembles a modern 8 thin main cushion. They are compareable to the square H&A but I find that they are most like the generic 8 thin main cushions. The Square H&A lines are much stronger than the Tiffany Novo whereas the generic 8 thin mains have softer rounded edges.

Liv69

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone

Thank you for your great advice and suggestions. I wanted to give you an update on my progress.

The good news is that it looks like my wish is about to be granted! My hubby has set a budget and the seller is happy to sell for this price. All that's left to do now is to have the ring authenticated by Tiffany to make sure it's what they say it is.

Are there any other steps you recommend I take given it's a second hand item? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Merci beaucoup!

Olivia

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wow, how fantastic! :appl: As long as you can have it checked by Tiffany (and get them to give you an updated valuation and put it in your name for insurance) and they say it is authentic and in very good condition, then that is all I would do! Then get insurance immediately! Congrats! That is a terrific deal and one that doesn't come by very often!

Liv69

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thanks Diamondseeker for your tips.

We are booked in to see the Assistant Manager at Tiffany's tomorrow to have the ring authenticated. The only problem now is that I am having a major freak out about it...!

On the upside, I am confident that this ring is authentic. And, as it was purchased in November 2009 and has been in the Cash Convertors for several months, it is relatively new. The price we have been able to negotiate (AUD16,500) seems pretty good - a brand new Novo with the same specs would cost AUD 30,000 - 40,000. We can even buy it in on our Amex and earn flyer miles! Finally, I believe that a Tiffany ring will hold its value and that in itself seems like a real plus (versus buying a ring at full retail price from a local jeweller or having one made to measure).

On the downside, the ring comes with just a Tiffany valuation certificate but no Tiffany little blue box, ring box, Diamond certificate or leather bound certificate folder. And, even with the lower price, it still feels like a HUGE amount of money, particularly to my husband. Plus, we are going overseas later this year (Europe) and I keep wondering whether we should wait until then to look at rings.

So, I am now having a long hard think about the whole thing before taking the plunge. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thank you

Olivia

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I honestly love the ring (and don't usually say that if I don't) and I would buy it in a second if I did not already have a new anniversary e-ring! As long as Tiffany says it is authentic, then I think you have a gorgeous ring for an outstanding price! Perhaps if you pay for an updated valuation certificate in your name they might also provide you with a ring box? I'd certainly ask! Please let us know what happens tomorrow!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think we all get cold feet right before spending a large sum of $. However, the Tiffany Novo is one of their most beautiful rings IMO and you are getting an amazing deal! You can buy Tiffany boxes on ebay if Tiffany really won't give you one. I think having the valuation is really all that matters, you're not going to be looking at leather folder etc. so I personally wouldn't worry about those things that are missing with a secondhand purchase. They sure aren't work an additional 15K ;)) Only go through with it though if it really is exactly what you want!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very sweet! Hope it all works out--it is a stunner for sure! And I know what you are saying about making a large jewellery purchase, but it is a gift that you will treasure for decades and perhaps be able to hand it down to your daughter.

BTW, you could go to T & C, and buy a small thin plain white gold band, get the blue box and tuck them beside each other! :love: :appl:

cheers--Sharon

Krae11

Rough_Rock
A Tiffany Novo is in my top 3 favorites. We've finally narrowed it down. Getting so close to having it on my finger! That said, the Novo we are debating about is 1.9 G VVS1, priced at $48,600. So, $17,000 sounds like a steal to me! I've found myself second guessing all my thoughts/decisions about my e-ring (don't want to make the wrong decision!), but that's a gorgeous ring at a really great price. Go for it and don't look back. I hope you lovenit!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Liv69|1303263957|2900604 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks Diamondseeker for your tips.

We are booked in to see the Assistant Manager at Tiffany's tomorrow to have the ring authenticated. The only problem now is that I am having a major freak out about it...!

On the upside, I am confident that this ring is authentic. And, as it was purchased in November 2009 and has been in the Cash Convertors for several months, it is relatively new. The price we have been able to negotiate (AUD16,500) seems pretty good - a brand new Novo with the same specs would cost AUD 30,000 - 40,000. We can even buy it in on our Amex and earn flyer miles! Finally, I believe that a Tiffany ring will hold its value and that in itself seems like a real plus (versus buying a ring at full retail price from a local jeweller or having one made to measure).

On the downside, the ring comes with just a Tiffany valuation certificate but no Tiffany little blue box, ring box, Diamond certificate or leather bound certificate folder. And, even with the lower price, it still feels like a HUGE amount of money, particularly to my husband. Plus, we are going overseas later this year (Europe) and I keep wondering whether we should wait until then to look at rings.

So, I am now having a long hard think about the whole thing before taking the plunge. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thank you

Olivia

Between the exchange rate and the fact that jewelry is just plain more expensive in Europe, I would NOT put the purchase off for that reason. I agree with Mrs. Salvo that the blue box isn't worth 20K. So I say, if you like the ring and it proves authentic - buy it! 20k will buy you a whole lot of other luxury experiences ....

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring is lovely and because you are getting it on the second hand market it is actually a FAIR price! That is spectacular given the Tiffany name. For comparison, you would pay about the same for a similar ct weight I VS1 round brilliant H&A diamond online : http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049676026 Add to that another $2k for a Novo style setting, and you are getting a very nice deal for *any* diamond of that size and specs, and an even better deal for a Tiffany which will hold its value. You will NOT do better in Europe for similar quality, no way. So unless you want to spend more or have a much smaller diamond, provided this is authentic, get yourself a blue box off Ebay and call it a day ;))

piggies

Rough_Rock
That sounds like a stellar deal! As for the box, folder, bells and whistles... do you really care for that price?!
If it makes you feel better, my fiance bought my ring directly from Tiffany and didn't get a leather folder either... paperwork was in a thick Tiffany blue paper folder. And ditto canuk-gal on buying a band for the box. When we bought my wedding band, we requested that they give us one of the boxes with two slots so I can store my set together. Or if you get it sized, it may be returned to you in a box.

Liv69

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your helpful posts and great suggestions. You are absolutely right about the leather folder etc not being a big deal. As for a box, I will definitely ask for one when I take the ring to get valued and if that doesnt work I can look at buying one on eBay. I think I just got cold feet for a moment but I feel much better about the purchase now and I'm ready to go for it!!

We have a minor hitch now with the vendor having just cancelled our appointment with Tiffany today half an hour beforehand due to a funeral going overtime... A little disappointing but you can't begrudge a person a funeral and anyway I am a fatalist and believe what will be is what's meant to be. I'll just have to wait til after Easter I guess...

I'll keep you posted and send pics when it goes ahead!

Happy Easter everyone and thank you again for your fabulous feedback!

Olivia

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope it all works out for your good, Olivia! Happy Easter to you, too!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a bummer about the seller not making it. I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out. Happy Easter to you!

Liv69

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

It's been a few weeks but I finally had the ring authenticated by Tiffany's here in Melbourne (what lovely service!) and we are going to pick it up tomorrow!! I am so excited and nervous... And very touched that my husband has agreed to such a big purchase!

The assistant manager at Tiffany's was very gracious and took a great deal of care to make sure he was giving us an accurate appraisal of the condition (excellent) and authenticity (confirmed). He could have been aloof or disinterested given we weren't making a purchase from his store but, most pleasingly, he was neither.

I will post some photos when we get it home.

Thanks again for your suggestions and feedback. It's made this very big and significant purchase just that little bit more special!

Olivia

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results