shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Novo vs. Cartier 1895 pave - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ERingHunter

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone! I have just stumbled onto this blog site a few days ago and have found it very helpful in finding information. I have narrowed my ering search down to two, either Tiffany''s Novo or Cartier''s 1895 Solitaire with the Pave setting. At this point, I guess it is about personal preference and knowing what my GF will prefer - which is quality above all else, so I think I have that covered. I am heading to both stores for a second review tomorrow and I was hoping to get some fresh perspectives on comparing both rings. I know they are completely different styles but as a lone man looking to make a final decision - some help would be greatly appreciated! As far as the diamond specs go - I am looking at F-G color, VVS1 - VS1 clarity, 1.4 - 1.6 Carat Weight - so like I said, I think quality is covered. What does everyone think about a more classic - perhaps Victorian look of the 1895 vs. the more modern look of the Novo?

If Dreamgirl is reading, you helped me out a lot from your insight and other posts, but completely thorough me off track with your switch to the Tiffany setting!

7.gif

Thanks in advance!

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Wow, both are wonderful choices! I really like the Novo because I like the thin band look.

Though between the 2, I vote for Cartier. I really like the solid and regal presence of the Cartier (while Novo is more dainty and trendy), in my humble opinion.

You can''t really go wrong with either one!
30.gif

Let us know which one you are going to choose. Best wishes!!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Well... those are two very different diamonds!

The Novo is a modified brilliant cushion while I *assume* that you''d have an RB in the Cartier. Personally, I love that particular Cartier setting. I think that it is timeless and elegant.

The Novo is also a stunner in its own right, but is a very different look. Perhaps you have have your SA at Tiff''s show you the Novo next to one of their pave RB settings so you can compare the cuts of the stones. The sparkle pattern/look will be a little different, and this way you can compare them side-by-side and see if you have a preference.

Which ever you go for, ask the store to call in/ show you a few in the size range you like. You can get copies of the cert information and ask the experts here to assess your stone choices, or just use your eyes to pick your favorite.

Either way, you can''t go wrong! Good luck!

ERingHunter

Rough_Rock

Oops, thanks Mercoledi - I should have clarified that I am looking at the RB for the 1895 ring and of course the Novo is a CB. This is probably why I am having such a hard time with this decision. Both rings are very beautiful, but also very different. You gave an excellent suggestion by comparing the Novo to a RB while in the store - side by side. That was another one of my problems, having down selected to two rings at different stores - I can''t look at them side by side and see other than reviewing pictures and relying on my failing memory. I almost feel like a little kid who can''t decide which piece of candy to choose at the store.

I guess I feel more confident in the 1895 style because it seems "safer" - more traditional, timeless, elegant and refined but the Novo seems more exciting and a little bit risky (but in a good way - kinda like how some girls feel wearing a "daring" dress that says look at me and loving every minute of it). Agh! I don''t know! I have poured so much time into this it''s killing me to make the final decision without her input. And yes, this is a big surprise so I don''t want to spoil it by caving in a asking her to choose. This is part of the price I must pay (emotional in-decision, on a large purchase for someone else that you love more than anything!)

Honestly, I think girls get a kick torturing guys with this kind of stuff!
26.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 3:25:36 PM
Author: ERingHunter

26.gif

I don't know if I'd say that... my e-ring was a surprise. It isn't anything I would have picked on my own, but it is beautiful and unique and well suited to my lifestyle. More important than any of that is that my DH spent about a year shopping/agonizing and eventually designing my ring. His personal investment in it means far more to me than the ring itself. Kudos to you for trying so hard!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh tough decision. Personally I''d probably go with the cartier as I just prefer it. The novo was one of the rings that I looked at when I was e-ring shopping but I didn''t like the look of it so much in person as I did on the net. Is your girlfriend more into classic things in general? Maybe that will help you choose. Either way you really can''t go wrong.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Novo cushion solitaire on a dainty diamond band. And while cushions are gaining in popularity, they have been around for hundreds of years. I love them for the shape (my favorites have equal LxW measurements) which can retain an understated look even in the larger sizes (unlike RBs). And I have yet to see a cushion like my RHR coming and going IRL, while the majority of e-rings sport a RB solitaire! Finally, cushions possess an antique appeal that I find hard to resist. So my vote goes to the T&Co Novo!

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring is the Cartier 1895 pave solitaire, so that would be my choice
28.gif

ERingHunter

Rough_Rock
Thanks! My GF feels exactly the same way, which is why I know that I can''t go wrong with either choice. She is not materialistic in any fashion and she would never suggest that I look in either of these stores (because of $$$) but she is worth every penny. I want this ring to not only be a symbol or token of my love and affection, but as a "stone" or building block for our family that will one day be passed down to either our children and grandchildren. Both of us come from very small families and neither one of us have what would be considered a family heirloom. I want this ring to be more than the "now" I want it to be a part of our future as well. If that makes sense?

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Keep in mind that a CB will looks smaller per carat weight than a RB on the finger. So you have to buy more to get the same effect. If you have a budget of under $20K, I would opt for the Cartier RB b/c you will get more bang for your buck. :) Good luck with you decision! Both rings are gorgeous!

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 3:39:09 PM
Thanks! My GF feels exactly the same way, which is why I know that I can''t go wrong with either choice. She is not materialistic in any fashion and she would never suggest that I look in either of these stores (because of $$$) but she is worth every penny. I want this ring to not only be a symbol or token of my love and affection, but as a ''stone'' or building block for our family that will one day be passed down to either our children and grandchildren. Both of us come from very small families and neither one of us have what would be considered a family heirloom. I want this ring to be more than the ''now'' I want it to be a part of our future as well. If that makes sense?
That makes a lot of sense. I wanted a timeless heirloom as well!

Here''s my set, FYI - the 1895 Cartier pave solitaire, with Cartier ballerine band.

krissiepsjuly29.JPG

ERingHunter

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 3:31:48 PM
Author: bee*
Ugh tough decision. Personally I''d probably go with the cartier as I just prefer it. The novo was one of the rings that I looked at when I was e-ring shopping but I didn''t like the look of it so much in person as I did on the net. Is your girlfriend more into classic things in general? Maybe that will help you choose. Either way you really can''t go wrong.
Bee - she is a little bit of both, which is again why I am having trouble with this. I know that nobody out here can help me figure out what she would want based on her personality, likes, dis-likes, so on and so forth - so I am hoping to get a general feel about the rings themselves. I do have some reservations about the narrow band on the Novo. My GF is 5''10 at 140lbs (she would kill me if she knew I let that out, but I don''t care she looks great) point being is that she is tall and skinny with fairly long fingers, I don''t know if the Novo will get "lost" on her hand as much as the 1895. I do like the cushion cut on the Novo as being something different, but not unique. At any rate - thanks for the help!

ERingHunter

Rough_Rock
Thanks Krissie - you have a beautiful ring!

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 3:25:36 PM

Oops, thanks Mercoledi - I should have clarified that I am looking at the RB for the 1895 ring and of course the Novo is a CB. This is probably why I am having such a hard time with this decision. Both rings are very beautiful, but also very different. You gave an excellent suggestion by comparing the Novo to a RB while in the store - side by side. That was another one of my problems, having down selected to two rings at different stores - I can''t look at them side by side and see other than reviewing pictures and relying on my failing memory. I almost feel like a little kid who can''t decide which piece of candy to choose at the store.

I guess I feel more confident in the 1895 style because it seems ''safer'' - more traditional, timeless, elegant and refined but the Novo seems more exciting and a little bit risky (but in a good way - kinda like how some girls feel wearing a ''daring'' dress that says look at me and loving every minute of it). Agh! I don''t know! I have poured so much time into this it''s killing me to make the final decision without her input. And yes, this is a big surprise so I don''t want to spoil it by caving in a asking her to choose. This is part of the price I must pay (emotional in-decision, on a large purchase for someone else that you love more than anything!)

26.gif

So exciting that it is a complete surprise. :)

May I ask if you gf is a trendy/fashionable girl (love to try on new trends) or more a classic type?

I think Novo is more a "look at me" ring, also "younger".

ERingHunter

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 3:46:02 PM
Author: Krissie

Here''s my set, FYI - the 1895 Cartier pave solitaire, with Cartier ballerine band.
Krissie - Do you feel that the diamond sits too low or that the prongs detract from the diamond on the 1895? These are probably my two biggest concerns with this ring. I personally don''t feel that they do, but one of my GF best friends though that it did. I guess I want to make sure that the diamond stands out enough from the rest of the ring and isn''t "hidden".

ERingHunter

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 4:20:56 PM
Author: mb418

So exciting that it is a complete surprise. :)

May I ask if you gf is a trendy/fashionable girl (love to try on new trends) or more a classic type?

I think Novo is more a ''look at me'' ring, also ''younger''.
She is more ''classic'' in the traditional sense, but she loves to get dressed up for social events. I guess you could say that she would never want to be viewed as a ''grandma'' or ''older woman'' but doesn''t always have the time to keep up with the latest fashions either. She is a very hard working woman that (I think) wants the best of both worlds. I can see what you are driving at though....if 90% of the time she is refined and only 10% wild, then I should probably go with the 1895 - more of a ''all the time mood vs. the once in a while feisty mood''. Thanks for the help!

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 4:44:58 PM

Date: 7/29/2008 3:46:02 PM

Krissie - Do you feel that the diamond sits too low or that the prongs detract from the diamond on the 1895? These are probably my two biggest concerns with this ring. I personally don''t feel that they do, but one of my GF best friends though that it did. I guess I want to make sure that the diamond stands out enough from the rest of the ring and isn''t ''hidden''.
Hi,

The prongs are virtually invisible. Have you seen the ring in person? It''s easy to see the prongs on an extreme photo closeup, but in real life they''re just 4 little platinum pings. It kind of looks like the diamond is floating on the setting.

Also, it definitely doesn''t sit too low. My original e-ring was the Cartier Declaration, and THAT was a low setting. This one is perfect, in my opinion! Here is a side profile view. The lighting is a bit off, but you get the picture.

krissiepsside.JPG

ERingHunter

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 4:54:30 PM

The prongs are virtually invisible. Have you seen the ring in person? It''s easy to see the prongs on an extreme photo closeup, but in real life they''re just 4 little platinum pings. It kind of looks like the diamond is floating on the setting.

Also, it definitely doesn''t sit too low. My original e-ring was the Cartier Declaration, and THAT was a low setting. This one is perfect, in my opinion! Here is a side profile view. The lighting is a bit off, but you get the picture.
Yes, the last time I looked at the ring in the store was about a month ago. I am heading back there tomorrow to view a ring that matched my 4 C''s a little better. Thank you so much for your photos. I have been going back and forth between Cartier and Tiffany''s professional pictures so much that I think they have been embedded into my retina. Having a different ''real'' perspective is helping me out a lot. Again, thanks!

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Krissie, your set is
30.gif
, I think I was momentarily speechless ......................

Eringhunter, no wonder you wanna get the nicest ering and seal the deal, your girl seems so sweet and grounded :) Being engaged about 5 months ago myself, I am really excited for the both of you.
36.gif

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is for the Cartier 1895 w/pave! It is my absolute favorite! It is a timeless classic that is very well made. What''s not to love...

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
I feel like every other ring out there looks like the Cartier one. There are so many knock offs of that ring. You can find cz rings at department stores that look just like that one. The Novo is more one of a kind.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Krissie, I don''t think I''ve had the chance to mention this, but I LOVE your rings. That set is gorgeous.

ERingHunter, I think both are beautiful and you can''t really go wrong in choosing either ring. The Novo is so delicate and unique, but on the other hand, if you want this ring to be a timeless piece to be passed down, I think the Cartier is a better choice. It will ALWAYS be in style because it is so classic.

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 11:22:18 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Krissie, I don''t think I''ve had the chance to mention this, but I LOVE your rings. That set is gorgeous.

ERingHunter, I think both are beautiful and you can''t really go wrong in choosing either ring. The Novo is so delicate and unique, but on the other hand, if you want this ring to be a timeless piece to be passed down, I think the Cartier is a better choice. It will ALWAYS be in style because it is so classic.

Ditto that for me as well.
21.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
The Novo is awesome, but the Cartier is just... WOW. That is my vote, but in the end it is your vote that counts. I''m sure she''ll be over the moon with either choice!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore the Cartier, always have. So that gets my vote, if you''re still taking votes. I hope you will come back and let us know what you decided, would love to see pics!!!
36.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Having tried both the Novo and Cartier 1895 on the Cartier 1895 gets my vote hands down :), I tried on one with a 1.6ct center stone and it was just perfect
30.gif
30.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 3:50:25 PM
Date: 7/29/2008 3:31:48 PM

Author: bee*

Bee - she is a little bit of both, which is again why I am having trouble with this. I know that nobody out here can help me figure out what she would want based on her personality, likes, dis-likes, so on and so forth - so I am hoping to get a general feel about the rings themselves. I do have some reservations about the narrow band on the Novo. My GF is 5''10 at 140lbs (she would kill me if she knew I let that out, but I don''t care she looks great) point being is that she is tall and skinny with fairly long fingers, I don''t know if the Novo will get ''lost'' on her hand as much as the 1895. I do like the cushion cut on the Novo as being something different, but not unique. At any rate - thanks for the help!

Yeah I understand what you''re saying but I''d say that with the size ring that you''re looking to get there would be no way it would be lost on her slim fingers. I went with Tiffanys myself in the end as I loved the lucida and I love that I can get it cleaned anywhere etc where there''s a Tiffany store. Do both companies offer the same benefits in terms of upgrades,cleaning etc as that might be something to look at if you truly love them both.

moogle

Rough_Rock
I''d choose the Tiffany Novo.

Lexie

Shiny_Rock
I was perusing Signed Pieces, and it looks like they have one Cartier 1895 ring that has a 1.51 carat center stone that is F VS2. The ring size is 4.75, but I'm assuming that it can be easily resized, if need be. Click here to check it out.

Just figured I'd throw that out there in the interest of perhaps saving some $?
10.gif

ERingHunter

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all of your input. I am heading out to see my Tiffany''s SA in a few minutes and then over to Cartier for my last review. All of your comments have been very helpful! I think that I am leaning towards the 1895 pave, but who knows?!
26.gif

I will let everyone know if I actually make a decision and come back with something today.

Again....THANKS EVERYONE!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results