shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Lucida band price increase- NOT HAPPY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00363&mcat=148208&cid=288177&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+288177-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

I went to look at this tonight and it''s now $1,025. It JUST had a price increase one month ago. The price of platinum is going DOWN.

What is the meaning of this? The wealthy are getting wealthier? Let''s raise our prices just for fun?

This ring in gold is now $575. This represents several prices increases in quick succession.

I went to look at e Wedding Bands site, and I don''t like the rings as much. It seems that
they''re made from "tubbing." So this sound to me like they have tubes of platinum or gold,
and they slice them, like how you make frozen briskets.

I have this idea, maybe it''s naive, that the Tiffany ring is created in a different way, is nicer, you get what you pay for, yadda, yadda.

But I''m saving, and this price increase putting the ring at over $1,000 has made me angry. If I wanted to pay Cartier prices, I''d buy a Cartier ring.

Any advice about the differences in quality between Tiffany and e Wedding Bands? What
would you do?

I''ve watched the price of this Tiffany ring double, and these most recent two price increases have put me on the edge of wanting not to give my money to them (and I like that
company and their products, but I''m not happy about this one).

Thanks.
39.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If Tiffany & Co paid the higher price for the platinum, they would have to charge a higher price for the jewellery they made from it. If the prices are coming down they will probably adjust their prices accordingly. Once they have sold all the items that were made from the higher priced platinum.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 6:50:02 AM
Author: Maisie
If Tiffany & Co paid the higher price for the platinum, they would have to charge a higher price for the jewellery they made from it. If the prices are coming down they will probably adjust their prices accordingly. Once they have sold all the items that were made from the higher priced platinum.
Somehow I dont think we are ever going to see this downward adjustment!!!!! But I hope Im wrong!!!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
In four years, the prices have only gone up, never down. I read here on PS that platinum is down dramatically. I don''t think the prices are going to go down.

This latest price increase offends me. I''m sorry for the rant, but two price increases in a short amount of time when the price of metal is going down is hard to swallow.

I think for me it''s more a question of how different are the Tiffany rings vs. e Wedding Band rings in terms of the process by which they are manufactured.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Metal content is certainly an important component in jewelry pricing but it’s usually not the biggest. This is just the way of manufacturing things. Health insurance for GM workers is now a bigger component in your car than the steel in the cars they make for example. Tiffany does do a nice job of everything they make and they spend a great deal of effort on building and maintaining their reputation and status. This is a large part of what you’re buying when you shop there, not just a hunk of metal. The bright side is that there are lots of competitors who have different pricing and marketing models who would love the opportunity to earn your business. There are alternative makers who use the same materials, the same techniques and some very similar designs for considerably less money if that’s what you’re looking for. On the other hand, if you want a Tiffany piece with the Tiffany shopping experience, they only way to get it is to shop with Tiffs and to agree to pay their price.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

mrsv

Brilliant_Rock
Sure the price of platinum is going down, but there are other costs that Tiffanys has that an online store does not. The cost of real estate, those taxes, rental fees, cost of employing people who work in the stores, their healthcare.....it all adds up.
Online only will always be able to sell things for less. As for the cartier vs tiffany cost. I went and looked at both bands, they have both stores in my local mall. In the end I choose the Lucida band you are looking at because I liked it better and found that it sat more comfortably with my engagement ring and the matching band still looked masculine enough for my future husband. I don''t recall the Cartier bands price, but I think it was fairly close to the cost of the Tiffany Lucida band.

FYI the Cartier band I was looking at 2.5mm, and the Tiffany 3mm.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 7:30:20 AM
Author: Sharon101

Date: 10/6/2008 6:50:02 AM
Author: Maisie
Somehow I dont think we are ever going to see this downward adjustment!!!!! But I hope Im wrong!!!
Ah well, we can live in hope! I am happy in my naivety lol!
9.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunatly Tiffany''s is losing their reputation among higher end clients, and that is just what they want. Recently, there hasn''t been a ton of difference in pricing between say a Tiffany and a no-name, and I don''t think they like that. IMO, their prices won''t go down and will continue to go up to again try and change their image back to one of luxury and quality rather than the following they have garnered among the sterling silver jewelry set.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm going with neatfreak's answer. It seems to me that the latest price increase for this ring was something like $100. Ridiculous.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Denverappraiser,

Do you have any companies in mind who make similar quality with different marketing and pricing? Thank you.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 2:30:38 AM
Author: Imdanny
Denverappraiser,

Do you have any companies in mind who make similar quality with different marketing and pricing? Thank you.
I'm not Neil,
but Whiteflash make fine quality pieces, and if you have them custom make your band it will be hand made, to my understanding. Does this qualify as the "extra attention" that your kinda referring to..?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi, thanks! I don''t know what I mean. I think the Tiffany ring is cast. I could be wrong. I''m sure that the e Weddingband rings are cut from tubes.

I''d like to know if I''m right about this, and where to buy rings made like Tiffany makes them.

I''ll check out Whiteflash.
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 9:05:13 AM
Hi, thanks! I don''t know what I mean. I think the Tiffany ring is cast. I could be wrong. I''m sure that the e Weddingband rings are cut from tubes.

I''d like to know if I''m right about this, and where to buy rings made like Tiffany makes them.

I''ll check out Whiteflash.
35.gif
You''re welcome. Imho WF make very decent quality for reasonable prices. I have one of their lower price-point ering settings. I was in "The Premier" jewellery store in my city the other day - as in, a solitaire for a couple K..(without the diamond)
20.gif

Was looking at w-bands, and the girl commented a number of times on the fine quality of my setting.
5.gif

ysj99

Shiny_Rock
I think I heard somewhere that Tiffany raises its prices every so often to maintain its prestige. Similar to Louis Vuitton, I believe they have a price increase of 5% each year or so.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
hehe, I already know that TIffany will increase their price... that''s why back in August, I bought my FH''s 3mm Lucida wedding band for $950 cad (and I got $300 gift card from Holt rebate so I only paid $650 for the ring)

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
As an owner of a couple of e-wedding bands (18k WG and PT), I think the quality is just fine, and have compared my 2 mm platinum pipe-cut to other 2 mm platinum bands at T & Co. and felt no difference in the heft - both in a size 5.

The Lucida is a lovely band, and if that''s what you want, go for it. But, IMO, the quality is really no better to the average layperson than my 2 e-wedding bands.

tiffanyornot

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 9:05:13 AM
Hi, thanks! I don't know what I mean. I think the Tiffany ring is cast. I could be wrong. I'm sure that the e Weddingband rings are cut from tubes.

I'd like to know if I'm right about this, and where to buy rings made like Tiffany makes them.

I'll check out Whiteflash.
35.gif

I wonder if you are just looking for a Tiffany ring based on the durability of the ring and the craftsmanship. To be sure, it is one aspect, but this will be your wedding band so I'm sure there is more to it than that (e.g., you want the brand name, get Tiffany lifetime service, etc.) I would advise that you need to make the decision yourself and not act solely (or mostly) based on others' advice. You only know the pluses and minuses of getting a Tiffany ring. Posters (such as I) may give you additional pluses or minuses to put in the columns but only you can weigh them against each other.

With regard to pricescope and ring designs, I see a lot of different designs on pricescope and actually most of the designs I just do not like (sorry!). If your style and opinions are the same as everyone else, then trust p-scope but if you do not always agree with others just as I do not always agree with other posters, then take pricescope (and my) advice with a grain of salt.

Many posters say they do not like Tiffany's because they think it is overpriced or they cannot afford it. Others make the excuse that they are not materialistic and brand name oriented so they do not like Tiffany's, yet they want diamonds and are on this website drooling over diamonds that may have come at the expense of people's lives. Additionally, people say that Tiffany's mistreats them or looks down on them. I know from personal experience that some people are intimidated walking into Tiffany's and when customers are insecure they think bad things and interpret events in the worst manner. That is why you need to be careful when posters tell you that Tiffany's is "not all that" and understand where they are coming from. There are legitimate and non-legitimate criticisms of Tiffany's.

Really, Whiteflash or Tiffany's would both be great options but it's just up to you. You really need to figure out what is best in your circumstance and I wouldn't want you to make a hasty decision.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 9:59:53 PM
Author: tiffanyornot

I wonder if you are just looking for a Tiffany ring based on the durability of the ring and the craftsmanship. To be sure, it is one aspect, but this will be your wedding band so I'm sure there is more to it than that (e.g., you want the brand name, get Tiffany lifetime service, etc.) I would advise that you need to make the decision yourself and not act solely (or mostly) based on others' advice. You only know the pluses and minuses of getting a Tiffany ring. Posters (such as I) may give you additional pluses or minuses to put in the columns but only you can weigh them against each other.

With regard to pricescope and ring designs, I see a lot of different designs on pricescope and actually most of the designs I just do not like (sorry!). If your style and opinions are the same as everyone else, then trust p-scope but if you do not always agree with others just as I do not always agree with other posters, then take pricescope (and my) advice with a grain of salt.

Many posters say they do not like Tiffany's because they think it is overpriced or they cannot afford it. Others make the excuse that they are not materialistic and brand name oriented so they do not like Tiffany's, yet they want diamonds and are on this website drooling over diamonds that may have come at the expense of people's lives. Additionally, people say that Tiffany's mistreats them or looks down on them. I know from personal experience that some people are intimidated walking into Tiffany's and when customers are insecure they think bad things and interpret events in the worst manner. That is why you need to be careful when posters tell you that Tiffany's is 'not all that' and understand where they are coming from. There are legitimate and non-legitimate criticisms of Tiffany's.

Really, Whiteflash or Tiffany's would both be great options but it's just up to you. You really need to figure out what is best in your circumstance and I wouldn't want you to make a hasty decision.

Geez, Tiffanyornot, you really need to check your facts before you post such insulting and misinformed statements.
There is alot in your post that is offensive, but I will try to focus on the main parts...

re: "I would advise that you need to make the decision yourself and not act solely (or mostly) based on others' advice"
umm - no one here is trying to say Imdanny should do anything but make up their own mind. The op asked for help and options, which is what we are giving..
That is what we do here - provide help and advice to others..

re:the middle part - I won't even touch that - why are you here if you think our rings and tastes are no good?

re: Your statements about Tiff's and posters on this site, I'd really like to know what led you to these strange conclusions?
33.gif
I don't hear anyone "making excuses" about not buying at Tiff's - believe it or no, some people simply do not want to ! (gasp! shock, horror)..
The fact you would imply the reason people don't rate Tiff's is because they are insecure is just plain ludicrous.

Plus, there is not one PS recommended vendor that sells so-called "conflict diamonds" - this is a slanderous statement.

Yes, we are here "drooling over diamonds" - its a site dedicated to diamond education and showing off our diamond jewellery! What else did you expect?

ETA: Looking at your previous posts, you are a Tiff's employee. Obviously this colours your judgement. But perhaps you should also be aware of how you are representing your employer here..

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany's had a price increase on May 18th of this year. If I understand correctly from these posts, they had another one in August? And, now, a third increase? How do they justify that?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 1:30:40 AM
Author: CDNinNYC
Tiffany''s had a price increase on May 18th of this year. If I understand correctly from these posts, they had another one in August? And, now, a third increase? How do they justify that?
Perhaps Tiffanyornot will be willing to answer this question for us, seeing as they are an employee..?
Out of interest Tiffanyornot, what do you say when you have customers query this?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry, everyone. I shouldn''t have started a thread about Tiffany and CO per se. I should have known it might turn into a contentious thread. I''m going to post a question on the jewelry forum with my concern (it''s really not about Tiffany, but I didn''t make this clear). Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results