shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany lookalikes: Brian Gavin vs. Excel Diamonds

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm looking for something similar to the classic Tiffany 6-prong ring. I was set on the Excel one until I saw Brian's which was also gorgeous. Has anyone compared these head-to-head? I'm curious how they compare. Are there any other Tiffany lookalikes for this style I should check out? Thanks SO much!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've seen both in real life. They are both lovely. I've not seen them side by side though. There is a thread here (that I can't find or else I'd link you) that compares the Tiffany style settings of some of the major vendors to one another.

If you go with the Excel version just make sure that they document that you want the ring finish to be top notch.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gypsy! I think I've seen that comparison but it was just showing WF, Excel, and Tiffany rings. What is the issue with the Excel finish you mention? Thanks so much!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seem to remember that the finishing of the Excel rings are not done quite so nicely. I would go with Brian. He is meticulous
about what leaves his shop. You may get a nice ring from Excel, but I know you would get a beautiful ring from Brian.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In some of their close up of their completed rings their finish (polish on the setting, the prong placement, the prong tips, etc.) just looks hurried. Sometimes they come out with lovely Tiffany 6 prongs, and the ones I've seen are all from 5 or more years ago, but sometimes their finish quality can be uneven on some of their pieces. I think if you highlight the issue and tell them to pay attention to it, you will likely be alright.

Every vendor has some quality control issues at times. Settings and finishes are something I notice A LOT, so I'm sensitive to it. Usually as long as you raise the awareness with the vendor and set your expectations then you are okay.

When I am ordering from a PS vendor, the vendor I am ordering from is well aware that their work is going to be under a macro lens and photographed, louped to death in person, and blown up to 40x and THEN plastered all over the net for the hawk-like eyes of PSers-- so it better stand up to scrutiny.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Peony! Small barge here: think about wandering over to the FHH Mommy threads. I'm sure lots of us would love to hear from you...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results