shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Carved Jade Ring Authentication

Jkarow08

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a ring for my special someone and I came across one that I think she will love, but I would like to verify its authenticity. It is described as:
TIFFANY & CO. RETRO CARVED JADE 14 KARAT GOLD FLORAL RING
  • Centering oval shaped carved jade depicting pierced floral and foliate design
  • Translucent with dark green to light green color variation
  • Prong set and flanked by twisted polished gold shoulder motif
  • Fully signed Tiffany & Co. and stamped 14K for 14 karat gold
  • Circa: 1940s
  • Ring Size: 6 1/4 & sizable
  • Measures: 14.2 mm wide and sits 5.0 mm high
  • Total weight: 5.1 grams
The vendor seems reputable and specializes in estate jewelry, Tiffany in particular. They have a brick and mortar store but this piece is listed on their website, not ebay. DSC8415_1000x.jpg DSC8410_1000x.jpg DSC8407_1000x.jpg DSC8409_1000x.jpg DSC8412_1000x.jpg The fact that the hallmark wasn't perfect (double struck) concerned me but the vendor said their assessment was the ring was made out of house and retailed by Tiffany and they hall marked these pieces by hand and they weren't always perfect. I have attached pics of the mark and the rest of the ring for reference. Any insight anyone could provide me on the authenticity or any other information on the piece would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

-Josh

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard pass for me. The double-struck hallmark is a concern. Also the less-than great quality overall. Notice on the side views how the gold isn’t flush with the jade? And how the gold finish has imperfections even in areas that would have been protected by the jade, suggesting that the gold just wasn’t polished well before the ring was assembled?

I have no idea whether Tiffany actually added its imprint to pieces produced elsewhere. Even if this is the case, why pay “Tiffany” prices if you’re not getting Tiffany quality?

JPGG

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hard pass for me. The double-struck hallmark is a concern. Also the less-than great quality overall. Notice on the side views how the gold isn’t flush with the jade? And how the gold finish has imperfections even in areas that would have been protected by the jade, suggesting that the gold just wasn’t polished well before the ring was assembled?

I have no idea whether Tiffany actually added its imprint to pieces produced elsewhere. Even if this is the case, why pay “Tiffany” prices if you’re not getting Tiffany quality?

They wouldn't....and that hallmark tells the story. Do not buy.

I'm glad you asked for input OP! I just saw a supposed T&Co piece on ebay that had the double-stamp too. I'm for sure gonna pass on that one now.

Jkarow08

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the reply and education. I forgot to reply back to this thread at the time that I took the advice and passed on that ring. After some more searching, I ended up purchasing this beautiful vintage Gump's jade ring. My better half quickly fell in love with it when I used it to pop the big question to her on the beach in the Dominican Republic on Christmas:D With a piece of art and history like that, and a sunset like this, I was pretty confident she would accept;)2 Thanks for the help and education! As an fyi...I sent the ring to Mason Kay for verification (came back as Grade A jadeite as expected) and they were very quick to turn it around and their Jade testing service is second to none. I highly recommend them for any jade testing needs! 7b67c10c9a663b402f9f9c3d7f73c444.jpg s-l400 (1).jpg 20201225_170257.jpg

Thank you both for the reply and education. I forgot to reply back to this thread at the time that I took the advice and passed on that ring. After some more searching, I ended up purchasing this beautiful vintage Gump's jade ring. My better half quickly fell in love with it when I used it to pop the big question to her on the beach in the Dominican Republic on Christmas:D With a piece of art and history like that, and a sunset like this, I was pretty confident she would accept;)2 Thanks for the help and education! As an fyi...I sent the ring to Mason Kay for verification (came back as Grade A jadeite as expected) and they were very quick to turn it around and their Jade testing service is second to none. I highly recommend them for any jade testing needs! 7b67c10c9a663b402f9f9c3d7f73c444.jpg s-l400 (1).jpg 20201225_170257.jpg

Thank you for the update! So happy you found something your partner just absolutely loooves. The proposal sounds magical. This ring will bring you guys joy for years to come. Wear it in good health. Congrats on your engagement!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Beautiful ring
Well done !
congratulations on your engagement

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my - that jade practically glows! And Gumps is, if anything, more special (to those of us with Bay Area links) and exclusive than Tiffany’s. Well done! And congratulations!’

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
You did good! The jade ring you ended up with is miles better in quality than the carved one in the first post. I like the shape of the prongs! Best wishes to your wedding! Come back and share more photos!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Gumps ring is far superior.
With anything stamped “Tiffany” unless it comes with certification and an matching serial number, avoid, unless you are only paying the appropriate price for the materials in the item. If the Tiffany origin can’t be proven, don’t pay the premium for the name.
congratulations of your upcoming wedding.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A ring so nice they stamped it twice!

I also think it is (was) sus -- not just for the stamp but, as others have pointed out, the needlessly wonky/asymmetrical mounting (when looking from the back).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results