shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany 1.95 for sale

tiffanyforsale1623

Rough_Rock
Hello! I read in a blog on here about how someone bought a third party ring that was Tiffany's. I wonder if anyone can help me. Tiffany's said my ex husband was the owner and he would have to call or email to get a valuation. This doesn't make sense to me since it was a gift to me 11 years ago and you don't receive paperwork when you get your proposal. I would like to have their valuation so I can sell it. I do not know the color or clarity, but my x is a heart surgeon, and he didn't skimp. it is a 1.95 carat. Can anyone tell me how to get a valuation? I gave them the number inside, his name, address and the approx date of sale.

Thank you

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm.
Sounds like Tiffany is sticking to their policy of supporting only the original purchaser.
(Understandable, as they don't make a penny from sales of used goods.)

But, in a marriage that line of who the original purchaser (and owner) is is blurred in many ways, not to mention legally.
Then divorce separates the two, but your request here seems to me to be entirely reasonable.

Perhaps, bring to Tiffany your marriage certificate and divorce document and deal with the boss.
This proves you are the recipient of the ring, and arguably the original legal owner.
If you have to, move up the chain to the boss of the boss.

I suspect you may have a legal case here.
To me this smacks of discrimination and misogyny, like wives having no credit after a divorce since all the finances were in his name.
Even if you would not win the case I suspect some media outlets would be very interested in this tantalizing story and Tiffany may want to avoid the PR nightmare of such bad publicity.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have no wish to sound pedantic--but can you not ask your former husband to request this on your behalf? Tell him to have a "heart". (:) sorry, I couldn't resist.....)

cheers--Sharon

tiffanyforsale1623

Rough_Rock
Hmm.
Sounds like Tiffany is sticking to their policy of supporting only the original purchaser.

But, in a marriage that line of who the original purchaser (and owner) is is blurred in many ways, not to mention legally.
Then divorce separates the two, but your request here seems to me to be entirely reasonable.

Perhaps, bring to Tiffany your marriage certificate and divorce document and deal with the boss.
This proves you are the recipient of the ring, and arguably the original legal owner.

To me this smacks of discrimination and misogyny, like wives having no credit after a divorce since all the finances were in his name.
Even if you would not win the case I suspect some media outlets would be very interested in this tantalizing story and Tiffany may want to avoid the PR nightmare of such bad publicity.

tiffanyforsale1623

Rough_Rock
Thank you for replying Kenny. I do not live near a Tiffany's, I am in Virginia Beach...far from Tiffany's. Your idea is great. There must be a legal way I can go about this if I must. The only thing is I am in a time crunch for money. Any other advice? I thank you for your reply!

tiffanyforsale1623

Rough_Rock
HI:

I have no wish to sound pedantic--but can you not ask your former husband to request this on your behalf? Tell him to have a "heart". (:) sorry, I couldn't resist.....)

cheers--Sharon

tiffanyforsale1623

Rough_Rock
Sharon, Thank you for your reply. He owes me a lot of money for child support and alimony and is now running from state to state to get out of it. This is why I need the money. Any normal human being would be happy to do that. This unfortunately isn't the case

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
I agree with some of the comments that you may have more luck speaking to the "boss." It's possible that the person you spoke to wasn't in a position to do anything other than follow the rules. If you can prove to Tiffany that you are who you say you are, hopefully they'll be understanding. It can't be the first time this has happened.

If you'd like to obtain the original documents without interacting with you ex, have you considered reaching out to your insurance provider? Assuming the ring is insured, your ex probably submitted the original paperwork.

Or, during the divorce perhaps the value of everything was required to be disclosed? Maybe your lawyer has, or can obtain, the original valuation?

tiffanyforsale1623

Rough_Rock
I agree with some of the comments that you may have more luck speaking to the "boss." It's possible that the person you spoke to wasn't in a position to do anything other than follow the rules. If you can prove to Tiffany that you are who you say you are, hopefully they'll be understanding. It can't be the first time this has happened.

If you'd like to obtain the original documents without interacting with you ex, have you considered reaching out to your insurance provider? Assuming the ring is insured, your ex probably submitted the original paperwork.

Or, during the divorce perhaps the value of everything was required to be disclosed? Maybe your lawyer has, or can obtain, the original valuation?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for your situation.

At the top of this screen click on the word Resources.
Then select, Find an Appraiser.
Click on your location.

If you want to sell it yourself (and pay no commission to a jeweler) I'd list it for sale at:
www.diamondbistro.com
www.idonowidont.com
www.loupetroop.com

Keep in mind diamonds, Tiffany or no name, are not a commodity like gold.
There is a universally agreed to price for gold which is the same throughout the world.
That's the price everyone pays plus a small transaction fee.
Not so with diamonds, even from Tiffany.
Plus, we members of the public must sell at a fraction of the price a retailer can get, especially Tiffany.
Expect 50 to 80% of what it would sell for at Tiffany today ... IF you had documentation from Tiffany that it is authentic Tiffany.
Without that documentation expect 50 to 80% of what it would sell for if it was from a 'regular' retailer.

Discuss this with your appraiser and take her/his advice.
Find out how much more its value is with the Tiffany documentation and make a decision on whether that value is worth the time and hassle to get it.

The lower you price it the faster it will sell.
Ask the appraiser if they can offer an escrow service so the diamond ships ONLY after the funds are securely in your bank account.

You may get more for it if you sell it yourself, but selling these things is complicated.
If you list it on the Internet, I'd get a professional photographer to take good macro pics. (this is not easy)

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could consign it at a jeweler, but then you're losing money to a commission.
But perhaps the jeweler could get a higher price than you could as a private party and perhaps more than pay for that commission.

Discuss all the angles with your appraiser.

tiffanyforsale1623

Rough_Rock
Kenny, Thank you again for your advice. I wrote my lawyer in-between to see what she could do, if anything. I will call again tomorrow and ask to speak to someone higher up. I will get it appraised locally, then try to go on line.

tiffanyforsale1623

Rough_Rock
Diamonz1, That all makes sense but I don't believe it was insured, and things that came up for equitable distribution were realestate, retirement accounts and such. I would assume all jewelry I bought myself in my early years, and the diamond are mine, thats why the judge didn't bring it up. Thank you for your reply. I will speak to the bosses boss!

tiffanyforsale1623

Rough_Rock
You could consign it at a jeweler, but then you're losing money to a commission.
But perhaps the jeweler could get a higher price than you could as a private party and perhaps more than pay for that commission.

Discuss all the angles with your appraiser.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm.

Kenny thank you for putting this so succinctly. That is exactly how I feel about this situation. I would love for a local blogger or some media outlet to get a hold of this story. If someone can make this go viral....

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Few years ago I didn't have any problem to issue an appraisal ($200) from Tiffany & Co. for second hand item (I'm not the original owner).
If you pay for an appraisal, I don't think you'll have any problem.

DiamondSEEKER 1452

Rough_Rock
We went into Tiffany store recently just for curiosity as we walked past and they showed us a 1.7 H VVS2 for $40,000. What an absolutely gorgeous store but it is WAY more expensive than anywhere else. A jeweller in the diamond district is also selling a similar size Tiffany ring for $16,000 so they would have offered the owner quite a bit less than that. I know its not the same specs as your stone but just to give you an idea.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the strangest threads. T4S1623 and DS1452.

I tried these numbers in the HCA. But nada.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Paperwork from Tiffany may not be as useful as you think for the task at hand. Even if you can get one, it's an abbreviated estimate of what they would charge to replicate the piece with a new one. It provides evidence of the Tiffany branding, and certain buyers like that, and it gives a weight&grading on the center stone, but that’s about it. Depending on your design, their estimate of replacement value may not have much to do with the price you can expect. Talk to your appraiser about it. Assuming it’s a highish grade, which seems likely given the story, you may want to get a GIA grading on it as an alternative to the Tiffany. Your appraiser should be able to help you with the logistics. It will involve taking it out of the mounting and it may take some time but this is also something the appraiser can tell you about. I join Kenny in recommending you use the list of appraisers above. Aside from the fact that there are many unqualified appraisers out there, there is a giant conflict of interest in getting an ‘appraisal’ by someone who is trying to buy it from you. Don't just walk into a random jewelry store. What you’re looking for is professional advice, not so much a document with a big number at the bottom.

Last edited:

DiamondSEEKER 1452

Rough_Rock
You can get a GIA report for $280 for express or I think it is as little as $140 for a slow service. We considered buying a second hand diamond before and rang GIA. Then, you could look at James Allen, Whiteflash etc for what a comparable quality diamond is selling for. You could also go into the Tiffany store and see what a comparable diamond would sell for after you have your statistics from GIA.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
$121 for the one with the plot, which is the version to get, but don't forget pulling and resetting as well as shipping and insurance for those who don't happen to live in Carlsbad or NYC. There's a couple of hundred more than that to spend here. Even if this is the path, which is likely, start at the appraiser's office.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results