Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was a really great video, kenny.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the TV programmes I have seen with her in it.

DK :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didnt realize that once the queen loaned you a tiara that it was only for you until you passed on. That would mean the Queen would
have to put a lot of thought into it before she decided what to offer up.

So who decides now who gets to wear what? Is it Camilla? Or King Charles?

I think Princess Kate needs a few more tiaras!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well isn't this a day late! I guess we really embarrassed ourselves last night.

Thanks, @kenny -- very interesting!

Now I'm waiting for the clickbait version: "HOW MANY OF THESE COMMON TIARA RULES HAVE YOU BROKEN??"

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm
the Cambridge lovers knott tiara is actually a copy of the origional
Queen Mary had it made for her because the origional was from her own family and she loved it so
The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara was designed and executed in 1913 by E. Wolff & Co. for the royal jewelers Garrards, who were commissioned by Queen Mary, the Queen consort of King George V, to create a tiara based on the design of one owned by her maternal grandmother Princess Augusta of Hesse, the Duchess of Cambridge, wife of Prince Adolphus, the Duke of Cambridge, who was the seventh son of King George III. The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara gets its name from the original Lovers Knot Tiara owned by Princess Augusta of Hesse, the Duchess of Cambridge, which was given to her by her family at the time of her marriage to Prince Adolphus in 1818. The original Lovers Knot Tiara was subsequently given as a gift by Princess Augusta to her eldest daughter Augusta Caroline at the time of her marriage to Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Lovers Knot bows were part of the design of the tiara, which was repeated along the entire length of the tiara, and from which originated two drop-shaped pearls, one hanging down and the other rising up like a spike. Thus the name Lovers Knot is derived from the repeated theme of this Gothic revival tiara.
here is a picture of Diana wearing it in New Zealand
Princess Diana did of course not live in NZ nor did she teleport over here
0950c13801ae2a0e8979d6eb3c7defcd.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry to be padantic but it isnt all that difficult to find the correct info
i dont trust most you tubers to get all the facts right even if they are part of the aristoracy

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had a tiara I’d wear it when I clean the bathroom.
I hate cleaning the bathroom.
it would cheer me up immensely to catch my reflection in a mirror and see sparkling diamonds.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was all very useful information and I'm grateful to know these things for when I get my tiara!

(But I had a really hard time getting past her green shoes... )

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taking it all in with a pinch of salt, as I am not certain about the sources of her information.

DK :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

That was fun!

cheers--Sharon

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was all very useful information and I'm grateful to know these things for when I get my tiara!

(But I had a really hard time getting past her green shoes... )

She is originally from the Chicagoland area.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds Do we know who has the original "Lovers knot"? Any pictures of it for comparison?

Were you refuting part of the video...did the women say something wrong about the Lovers knot tiara? I probably
need to go watch it again...but don't feel like it at the moment.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds Do we know who has the original "Lovers knot"? Any pictures of it for comparison?

Were you refuting part of the video...did the women say something wrong about the Lovers knot tiara? I probably

yes
she had the origon wrong
she said it came from Queen Mary's family
which the origonal certainly did but the one we know Queen Mary had made for herself

i have no idea where the older one is so i googled

Where is the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara now?

Mary modeled after her grandmother Princess Augusta of Hesse's headpiece, the original Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara, which is currently thought to be held in an unknown private collection.22/11/2022

@prince.of.preslav any idea ?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

There are quite a few inaccuracies in the video, although it gives a good overview for tiara etiquette beginners.

Re. the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara - The original was created in the first half of the 19th century for the then Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Augusta. It passed to her daughter, another Augusta, who married the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz in 1843. The Dowager Grand Duchess left the tiara to her granddaughter Jutta, Crown Princess of Montenegro. The tiara was last sold at auction in the 1980's and purchased by the minor German princely family von Waldburg zu Zeil. It remains in their collection today.
E2mBB7KX0AQSgmb

Queen Mary (1867-1953) was a grand daughter on Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge and had a strong sense of family history. Her aunt, the Grand Duchess of M-S, left her a valuable set of family sapphires in 1916. The two ladies were particularly close and the Queen must've grown up seeing the tiara a lot. She liked it so much, that she had some of her wedding presents dismantled in 1913 to create a replica. Note that by that time the Lover's Knot tiara was very much out of fashion!
Just like the original, Queen Mary's was topped with peral spikes, but these were permanently removed by 1932. It's this version that we know today and which was worn by Diana, Princess of Wales. Catherine, the current Princess of Wales, is the 4th person to wear it (Mary > Elizabeth > Diana > Catherine).
508342857_orig.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both @Daisys and Diamonds and @prince.of.preslav !

I always find the history fascinating! I hate it when these types of pieces go into private collections, which I'm sure a lot do, never
to be seen again ;(.

Edit...just saw that the tiara was copied about 5 or 6 times by other royal families. Apparently, the design is well-loved!

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are quite a few inaccuracies in the video, although it gives a good overview for tiara etiquette beginners.

Re. the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara - The original was created in the first half of the 19th century for the then Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Augusta. It passed to her daughter, another Augusta, who married the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz in 1843. The Dowager Grand Duchess left the tiara to her granddaughter Jutta, Crown Princess of Montenegro. The tiara was last sold at auction in the 1980's and purchased by the minor German princely family von Waldburg zu Zeil. It remains in their collection today.
E2mBB7KX0AQSgmb

Queen Mary (1867-1953) was a grand daughter on Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge and had a strong sense of family history. Her aunt, the Grand Duchess of M-S, left her a valuable set of family sapphires in 1916. The two ladies were particularly close and the Queen must've grown up seeing the tiara a lot. She liked it so much, that she had some of her wedding presents dismantled in 1913 to create a replica. Note that by that time the Lover's Knot tiara was very much out of fashion!
Just like the original, Queen Mary's was topped with peral spikes, but these were permanently removed by 1932. It's this version that we know today and which was worn by Diana, Princess of Wales. Catherine, the current Princess of Wales, is the 4th person to wear it (Mary > Elizabeth > Diana > Catherine).
508342857_orig.jpg
thank you @prince.of.preslav , :appl: i knew you would know if anyone did =)2

i love that Queen Mary had it made at a time it wasn't in fashion :kiss2:
we can all learn from Queen Mary from that, heart over fads ! :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
royal tiaras most definatly visit the commonwealth
HM actually wore Queen ALexandra's diamond kokoshnik for the first time opening the New Zealand (thats again not the UK) parlimnet durring the corrination tour
HM even rewore her corrination gown for us, her people (who dont live in the UK)
9599463.jpg

Olympias

Rough_Rock
I didnt realize that once the queen loaned you a tiara that it was only for you until you passed on. That would mean the Queen would
have to put a lot of thought into it before she decided what to offer up.

So who decides now who gets to wear what? Is it Camilla? Or King Charles?

I think Princess Kate needs a few more tiaras!

It's always the reigning monarch in the UK so now KCIII yes :)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't realize that once the queen loaned you a tiara that it was only for you until you passed on.

Didn't Beatrice wear the same fringe tiara that Anne did? Maybe there was some special dispensation given... ?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't Beatrice wear the same fringe tiara that Anne did? Maybe there was some special dispensation given... ?

Yes, you are right!

Not sure but I don't think the Queen would give that one away for anyone to wear as their own. I think she still considered it hers.
So, I guess if you're the Queen you can make up your own tiara rules!:mrgreen2:

Edit...wonder if King Charles will give it to anyone to wear?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to fashion myself a tiara out of tin foil! I just wont get enough wear out of one to purchase one! :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you English/British/New Zealanders...do you think Princess Beatrice and Eugenie will be wearing tiaras at the coronation
now they are married? Or, are they too far down the line to wear tiaras? I don't really know the customs and its been so
long since there has been a coronation.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you English/British/New Zealanders...do you think Princess Beatrice and Eugenie will be wearing tiaras at the coronation
now they are married? Or, are they too far down the line to wear tiaras? I don't really know the customs and its been so
long since there has been a coronation.

im honestly confussed myself
last time there were 8000 seated guests in the abby but this time due not least to health and safety much less like 2000
so a lot less room aritocrates, peers and MP's and spouces a lot of whom would have worn tiaras lat time
the royal family ladies seem to wear corrinets and a tiara

35ae5307de1e148ae1668a80224ecfa5.jpg

i would hope the king opens up the vaults and lends all the ladies of the family who dont own or have access to a tiara one for the day (weekend)
Anne will be able to lend Zara one but who knows if Fergie's tiara is still in her possession to lend to one of her girls
i would hope that lady Louise gets to wear one even though she isnt married - because that seems a more recent sort of rule to me and Charles can make up his own rules on this

i would hope that Camila's family also get loans for anything they might be lacking, her son is either seperated or divorced but Queen Cam also has a daughter and a sister and only one family tiara from her side
plus all those wee grandkiddies that are now actually teenagers
this is Laura at her wedding wearing the Cubitt Shand tiara

0_TRMRMMGLPICT000020767183.jpg

gallery_5_3-a.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results