shape
carat
color
clarity

Tianyu CAD - Very Thin Band (1.4mm) QUESTION!

A J

Rough_Rock
Hello!
For those who have very thin bands for their engagement rings... I have a few questions:
  • How thin is your band?
  • How long have you had it?
  • Does it seem flimsy?
  • Has it bent or warped?
I am working with Ella from Tianyu, and stressed to her how much my girlfriend wants a super dainty, thin band for the engagement ring. She advised against doing so, since it would bend easily. My gf also understands this and mentioned she'd be careful, but just wanted to get more info on others who have really thin bands, and their experience with them.

Thank you for any info!

-AJ CAD.png

I have attached the CAD.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that's too thin imho....it could bend or snap doing an everyday thing. if your partner is determined to have it that thin you need to make it taller. i.e. instead of 2.1mm shank height 2.5mm, i'm not sure if that's enough hopefully someone will come along and comment.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
D6DD3970-B29F-4CE6-AB99-7BFFC391D239.jpeg
My last engagement ring had a thin band pretty similar to the one in this CAD. I had it 3 weeks and the band warped/bent so badly I’m having to get a new ring. So now I’m in the process of having a ring made by Starsgem and I won’t make the same mistake twice. I want my ring to last and I was so heartbroken over what happened to my old ring. I understand wanting a dainty band but compromising the structural integrity of the ring isn’t worth it. 1.8-2mm bands are very dainty and will also hold up much better.

also: after the ring bent my jeweler tried to return it to its original shape but it ended up snapping.

A J

Rough_Rock
D6DD3970-B29F-4CE6-AB99-7BFFC391D239.jpeg
My last engagement ring had a thin band pretty similar to the one in this CAD. I had it 3 weeks and the band warped/bent so badly I’m having to get a new ring. So now I’m in the process of having a ring made by Starsgem and I won’t make the same mistake twice. I want my ring to last and I was so heartbroken over what happened to my old ring. I understand wanting a dainty band but compromising the structural integrity of the ring isn’t worth it. 1.8-2mm bands are very dainty and will also hold up much better.

also: after the ring bent my jeweler tried to return it to its original shape but it ended up snapping.

Wow. I'm so sorry that happened to you, and thank you so much for sharing. May I ask what you did that caused it to warp/bend like that? Or was it from simply wearing it normally?

Thank you and I hope your next ring lasts forever :D

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I have a beautiful opal ring that I no longer wear because the band is thin and warped. I don't have the exact measurements, but I know it's somewhere between 1.0mm-1.5mm. I can take a picture later, if needed, but it's really bad. I wore this ring for several years.

Kinda bums me out because it's something my father gave me. I've debated on making a custom piece out of it, although it's opal, which is a delicate stone already. :(

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Wow. I'm so sorry that happened to you, and thank you so much for sharing. May I ask what you did that caused it to warp/bend like that? Or was it from simply wearing it normally?

Thank you and I hope your next ring lasts forever :D
I have no idea what happened to it honestly. I wore it normally. Took it off before bed, showering, chores, etc. One night I took it off and set it on my table and noticed it was badly warped :( I only had it about 3 weeks and I treated it like it was my baby.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a beautiful opal ring that I no longer wear because the band is thin and warped. I don't have the exact measurements, but I know it's somewhere between 1.0mm-1.5mm. I can take a picture later, if needed, but it's really bad. I wore this ring for several years.

Kinda bums me out because it's something my father gave me. I've debated on making a custom piece out of it, although it's opal, which is a delicate stone already. :(

@A J Agree with everything said above! Does your future fiancé understand just how thin that is? Perhaps a trip to a jewelry store to check that out. Even if you take along a mm ruler to measure. Good luck!

@sd_flp That’s so sad. I have had some of my parents’ rings reshanked with very good results so that I could wear them. Something to consider. =)2

Tedward

Rough_Rock
Given the fact that you posted this here and on Reddit, it kinda sounds like your girlfriend might just not want to take advice to make the ring thicker. This might be a situation where she has to live through it warping and go from there. That said, I certainly hope that's not the case!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
@A J Agree with everything said above! Does your future fiancé understand just how thin that is? Perhaps a trip to a jewelry store to check that out. Even if you take along a mm ruler to measure. Good luck!

@sd_flp That’s so sad. I have had some of my parents’ rings reshanked with very good results so that I could wear them. Something to consider. =)2
You're so sweet, thank you for letting me know. :kiss2: I need to take it in with my jeweler; I'll suggest what you said. =)2

For all the years I've had it, I think I'm lucky it's "warped" and the band hasn't snapped. In any case, I don't find thin bands to be very ideal for an engagement ring, at least long term.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if so thin and with diamonds set into the shank, diamonds will be “popping out” within the week.
Try and get your gf to agree to a 1.8mm thin, otherwise there will be upset on the horizon,

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2mm is the thinnest I would recommend. Does she want to get a new ring made a few times a year?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
85FC6C0F-F73C-46D5-89F0-5CB05237C719.jpeg The other alternative is a “knife edge” shank and have micro pave diamonds both sides. The ring looks very thin looking down.
Like this

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your gf is going to "be careful" but is she never going to use her hand? that's about the only way it will stay in shape. Grabbing a door handle or steering wheel can warp it, and you arent even gripping stuff hard! Not worth it.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a morganite halo ring with a thin diamond band, only 1.8mm or so. I cannot imagine anything thinner! I only wear it occasionally and would never go that thin for an every day ring like an e-ring. Bare minimum for me would be 2mm.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
You're so sweet, thank you for letting me know. :kiss2: I need to take it in with my jeweler; I'll suggest what you said. =)2

For all the years I've had it, I think I'm lucky it's "warped" and the band hasn't snapped. In any case, I don't find thin bands to be very ideal for an engagement ring, at least long term.

Don't feel bad! I think its wonderful you have a ring like that. I have one of my grandmothers wedding sets from her short second marriage. It is a super thin knife edge and badly warped as well. I plan on just reshanking the whole thing as well so that I can wear it on my right hand with a cute little coloured stone eventually.
But looking at how badly warped it is and during such a short marriage is why I too will never reccomend under 2mm unless the person is desperate and then I would say don't go under 1.8. There was someone on another site with a rings section, and she may have posted here too. I feel like she did, who babied her ring and yet someone pushing her hand by accident snapped or bent the ring really badly. You might be able to keep a ring like that safe and in good shape if its babied and not worn 24/7 but you cannot predict what others might do to it by accident. 2mm is honestly not very thick.

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
That's very thin! Mine is a 2mm and I take it off when showering and cleaning. I also wanted a very thin dainty band. (Even used dainty when describing what I wanted to the jeweler) 20190305_190822.jpg here is a picture of my ring for reference. My ring size is 4.5

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results