shape
carat
color
clarity

Thunderstorms: love them or hate them?

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LOVE them, and always have. One of my favorite childhood memories is being holed up in a log cabin on the Tahoe shore while a once-in-a-decade storm raged outside and "ruined" our vacation, according to the adults (I loved it!).

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them. However now that I live as the only adult in my house, I get a little freaked out if there's lightning. Lights on for sure :boohoo:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love - in all seazons.

Best time for writing ...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them. Love the air after the thunderstorms too. A fresh smell that you only get right after these storms. Love that they can feel romantic when you are safe inside cozy and snuggling with your beloved furbabies and SO.

However I also somewhat hate them. I hate that the feral kitties (and other animals) outside are in danger. I also don't love that there is potential to lose power (though we have a natural gas generator so the chances of both going out are slim).

I just worry about the poor animals left out there who might not be able to protect themselves fully. That makes me sad.

But my love outweighs the hate generally. Thunderstorms on the water are a whole different experience. We are surrounded 180 degrees by water at the beach house. The thunder plays upon the water and the light and the show it displays wondrous. You can experience and feel the entire anatomy of the thunderstorm unobstructed by buildings and it is just a wow experience.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding one of my favorite paintings from a young local New Hope/Lambertville artist. Michael Fratrich. He reminds me of another one of my favorite artist's work-Edward Hopper.

The title is "Calm After The Storm"
Thought it would fit well in this thread. Love this artist's work. All of his work is just beautiful and evokes strong feelings for me.

Calm After the Storm 70x46.JPG

"When You Walk Through A Storm"

When You Walk Through a Storm 57x33.JPG

And while I am at it another painting I love by the same artist titled "After Sundown".

After Sundown 25x19.jpg

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hate them! I don't know why but they make me anxious. I've gotten better over the years but they still make me all squirmy and uncomfortable.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them. But since a couple of our family cars are outside the garage I do worry about hail. Otherwise I sit back and enjoy!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

They intrigue me as long as funnel clouds are not involved close by! Even when we were in Hawaii and there were hurricanes I found it interesting. The rain fell in sheets, literally a wall of water, then stops abruptly.

cheers--Sharon

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't enjoy thunderstorms. I am phobic about lightning, primarily because starting at about age 3, I thought my maternal grandfather was killed by lightning as he was standing at the kitchen sink (no one has any idea why I believed that: my mother's father died when she was little, but he died of TB). I'm fully capable of imagining sundry paths a nearby bolt of lightning might take & zap me.

Fortunately, NYC, where I've lived for years, rarely gets the kind of dramatic (and protracted) thunderstorms that are more common in the Midwest where I grew up. And once I became a mom, I made a mighty effort to keep my anxiety "under wraps" so that my son wouldn't be influenced by it
; - )

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a phobic dog (she's gotten better) so a thunderstorm can be crazy if I don't catch her in time. Reminds me of me when I was little.

Now in Florida its "the rainy season".. thunder, lightening, rain happens at a moments notice. The dog has gotten better about them and if they're not too big she doesn't freak out as much. When at home I still have to give her hugs, kisses, and throw a towel on her head to "hide" her :lol:

Thunder rumbles on a walk used to make her statue, and you can imaging having to handle a scared nearly 70lb dog on a walk is hellish. her knowing we're heading for home helps.

Funny, she doesn't care if we're in the car and it happens, but she loves being in the car no matter what...lol.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them except if my car is out in a large hail storm. One of my hobbies is photography so I love taking pictures of thunderstorms.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them. We don't get too many here in CA. My DD now lives in AZ, in a very rural hilly section, and when the monsoons roll through it is a glorious sight. I don't think I would want to live there except to be there during the monsoons.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me the answer isn't one or the other. The power of Mother Nature is both beautiful and frightening.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tonight we had an amazing wall cloud come thru with 60 mph wind and pouring rain/hail/thunder/lightening. The temp went from 93 to 66. Then the sun came out and everything sparkled like diamonds. I love it!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Love them, as a child my bed was along a wall with a window and I remember laying there snuggled in my blankets with a storm raging and my window wide open so the rain would come in and mist my face and what a wonderful feeling it was❤️ I'm sure my parents did not think it was so great when they found the water puddles on the wood window sill

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love storms, hence the nickname :}
It is funny when the tornado sirens go off both wifey4vr and I head outside. Everyone thinks we are nuts.
It is funny watching the weather guy freaking out when the clouds are very broken up and not stacked but the radar shows some rotation near the station. No way its going to be more than an Ef0 if it did manage to touch down which is highly unlikely. I don't even go inside for a Ef0.
Microbursts are far more dangerous than an f0 because there is no warning and radar will not pick them up until they are happening if then depending on the direction of the flow.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Saw an awesome show the other day a narrow fast storm at 45+ mph hitting hit the back end of a large slow moving one(15mph) just past my house I watched it build thousands of feet in a few seconds.
It was well past us by then but it became a very dangerous storm in seconds.
That type of collision can spawn an ef2+ tornado, hail and or flooding very quickly.
Luckily the first storm had cooled off the air enough there was not enough energy to spawn a really powerful tornado but there was a pretty high chance of an ef1 or so. There were a few swirls but no touchdowns that I heard about.
It dumped over 4 inches of rain in just a few minutes in one area resulting in a flash flood.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here comes STORMY!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw an awesome show the other day a narrow fast storm at 45+ mph hitting hit the back end of a large slow moving one(15mph) just past my house

A few rains each January are supposed to be 'weather' here ... Two years of Granada, and I can't remember when it was the last time I have checked the forecast. What you are telling of sounds fun indeed !

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stormy gets the storms about a half hour before me. I watch his radar to see what's coming.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the personality who loves rain and thunderstorms. Throw me a tropical storm any day-- that is the best time to weed the garden btw-- the weeds pop out with little resistance.

thorstedswife

Shiny_Rock
I hate them they freak me out .. I use to always think a serial killer was coming to get me cause of the stupid horror movies lol .. :think:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not bothered by them, but my poor girl gets very frightened and tries to find somewhere to hide. :(

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember last year when we were away and staying n a villa, a thunderstorm passed right over us - the rain was so heavy we couldn't see the end of the garden (maybe 100yards) and the thunder was so loud and on top of us that the massive slab of granite on the centre island in the kitchen felt like it was moving :D lol

I love watching storms, it makes me feel alive :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results