shape
carat
color
clarity

Three stone E-ring Upgrade Story and Review – Mark Morrell/GOG/RockDoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coconutpig

Rough_Rock
Some of you may remember my tale of woe about six months ago. The story is so embarrassing to admit, knowing what I know now, but maybe it will help someone else.

Background story - DH and I purchased a three stone 2 ct tw diamond ring in St. Thomas while on a cruise in January ’06. We knew only the basics about diamonds, it was an impulse purchase, but was backed by the cruise ship shopping guarantee that it would be the quality we paid for, so we figured we had nothing to lose. After being at home for a few weeks, we had it appraised and it was a J/I2 (the claim was G/SI1).
29.gif
It was worth half of what we paid. I posted my story here, started communicating with RockDoc (Bill Lieberum – www.consumersgemlab.com), who out of the kindness of his heart volunteered to help me out as he had contacts in the Caribbean jewelry industry. He made calls, we made calls (credit card dispute, cruise ship guarantee claim), it was a VERY stressful and long process. Even after they finally agreed to refund my money, they kept the ring for 6 weeks before finally crediting me at the end of May. Lesson learned forever, and my thanks to Bill for helping us out here, not only with the calls but with “emotional” support and encouragement to hang on, especially as we were ready to give up many times. I wouldn’t have this ring now if it weren’t for him.

While this was all going on, I was spending time getting educated here

Settings – I wanted to keep the simple three stone look but wanted to avoid a basket setting as it reminded me of the “bad” ring. I liked trellis settings. I went around to local B&Ms and really disliked everything I saw. They seemed…flimsy. Additionally, I preferred the side stones to be about a half the center, which I had trouble finding stock settings for. So, I decided to go custom.

Mark Morrell – I first contacted him in early May and told him what I was looking for: 3 stone trellis, set low, euro shank, something I could wear all the time and was not going to be cumbersome. He told me this was his busy season with many bridal projects but he could do it later in the summer if I could wait so I agreed and I began to source the stones

GOG – I decided I wanted H&A cuts. I found several stones that looked promising and called Tim up to discuss. He went through them all with me, very patient, and I ended up selecting a 1.1 I / SI1. Tim indicated it was extremely well cut, and that it had only a non eye visible carbon inclusion. Then he ordered two matching H&A stones of .53. It took only a couple days for them to come in and he immediately posted all the info on his website so I could see them

RockDoc – I had decided I was going to use Bill to appraise my new diamonds, so I arranged for the 3 stones to be shipped directly to him from GOG.

Then I started stressing about the carbon spot. It was totally irrational but in my mind this carbon kept getting bigger and bigger until I was imagining it smack in the middle of the table! I shared this nonsense with Bill who profoundly said “if you don’t want a carbon spot, you don’t want a carbon spot, no matter how small”. He advised me to pick a second diamond from GOG and ship it over as well and then have him select the better of the two. GOG was fine with this. All I had to do was put a deposit ($500) on each of the two diamonds. The second diamond that I selected was a 1.21 I / VS1.

RockDoc Evaluation – June - Bill took a week or two to check them out but I didn’t get any complaints from GOG. He immediately ruled out the 1.1 and focused on the 1.21 - not for the carbon but for the better light return. This really surprised me because, going by my amateur self-ps-educated knowledge, the 1.1 should have been the better of the two. Of course at this point I totally trusted him and that’s what I was paying for.

When his evaluations were completed, he sent me many documents & photos, and we had a 2 hour conversation going through them all. He was extremely patient and is obviously very passionate about what he does. I was very happy that I used an independent appraiser, not only for peace of mind, but because I learned 2 interesting things about my diamond: 1) I found out it was more like an “H” that an “I” and 2) AGS made a mistake on my certificate. It recorded it had a faceted girdle but it was actually a bruted girdle. Thank goodness I know this, can you imagine down the road, if I learned that this diamond didn’t match the cert – I’d certainly think the stone was switched along the way. Next, Bill sent the 3 selected diamonds directly to Mark Morrell, and the other diamond back to GOG. The cost for all of this was around $300, which included the 2 overnight shipments back to MM & GOG. GOG doesn’t charge for the first shipment, which was to Bill. I would highly recommend if you are going to invest a significant amount of money in a diamond that you get it independently appraised regardless of who you buy it from. It’s like getting an inspection before you buy a house.

Mark Morrell Visit #1 – Late June - DH and I are fortunate enough to live within driving distance to Mark, so we were able to see the diamonds in person, and also saw his first CAD image. We ended up staying there 2.5 hours. Here is another vendor who is very passionate about his work to say the least. He spent a lot of time with us, just going over the diamonds themselves. They were simply beautiful, I was very pleased – thanks GOG. The CAD image was also just what I expected, so no modifications were needed.

Mark Morrell Visit #2 – early August – The setting was ready and I went over to check it out. Again I stayed a couple hours. This was a relatively simplistic setting compared to some of the other work Mark does but you’d think I was spending a million dollars, the way he treated me. He spent at least ½ hour just perfecting the sizing for my finger. It is very rare these days to find someone so passionate about the work that they do. The mounting itself was just perfect, very substantial, gorgeous. He totally understood what I was asking for. Next, all that needed to be done was setting the stones which takes him about a week.

Mark Morrell Visit #3 – one week later, I came over to pick it up. It was a beautiful New England summer day and he took me outside to show it to me….it was perfect!

Insurance – I worked with Bill Castro of Chubb per Bill’s suggestion. Bill provided the appraisal of the final ring for me as part of his appraisal cost (a summary version with photos, which is all Chubb requires).

Summary – I am positively thrilled with this ring. It is so comfortable, I almost forget it’s on. It fits absolutely perfectly. Although I ended up spending considerably more money that I had for the original ring (THANKS TO PS!
31.gif
), there is no comparison in terms of quality, and I am so happy I have a quality piece to pass down to my daughter. I really enjoyed the process of working with three vendors (Bill, GOG, Mark) who were so passionate about the work they do and committed to quality and customer service. The experience of working with the three vendors together as a team was very smooth, it is obvious that they know how to work together well and have a lot of experience working together.

Here is one pic and I will post more in SMTR.

PSSMMtop3.JPG

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
I do remember your plight and wondered what had happened...I am thrilled this came out so beautifully! Congrats and enjoy this beautiful ring! Mokey

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Now that ring is what I call "Team Work"

It''s lovely

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all, congrats! That is a gorgeous ring. Second, thank you for sharing your experience with us. It sounds like these vendors really worked with you to get things right. That speaks extremely highly of them.
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, the ring is beyond stunning. Team work indeed, great post. Thanks for sharing your story. Can''t wait for more pics!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I remember your story and as someone who has shopped for jewelry (emerald bracelet) in the Caribbean myself I could certainly sympathize. I am so glad that everything worked out for you and that you ended up with this incredibly beautiful three stone ring!!! Please post some more pictures for us so we can get a better look at the setting.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all of the useful info. That ring is to die for!!!
30.gif
Sorry about your experience- glad it all worked out!! Enjoy your new ring- ITS A MASTERPIECE!!!
36.gif

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I remember your original thread and I am thrilled to hear that you got your money back finally. I hate seeing pepole taken advantage of.

On to your new ring. It is gorgeous! Glad you had such a positive experience. It is nice to know there are people in the world who go that extra mile. Most won''t.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember your old thread and I just love a happy ending! Props to you for getting yourself educated, and going through all of the hassle to return the old ring. Also, your new ring is gorgeous!!! Wow! I would love to see a ton of pics of this one. I am so happy that everything worked out for you and you have a beautiful ring.

darling

Shiny_Rock
I am so happy your story had a happy end. I made a promise to myself not to forget the lesson about impulsive vacation purchases.
Beautiful ring!! Enjoy.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome happy ending!!
36.gif
36.gif

love the ring Congrates!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!!! I just love happy endings!!!

I remember well your original post, and my heart went out to you. With that dynamic trio working for you: GOG, RD, and MM, I don''t think you could have done better if you''s searched for years.

Your ring is just stunning...I can''t wait to see about a zillion more pictures!
3.gif

Congratulations...
widget

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
It''s wonderful that things turned out well in the end. What a lovely ring!.

Please post more pictures when you can. I love Mark Morrell''s work.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring!!!!

DillPickle

Rough_Rock
More pix please! Been lurking for about a month but just recently registered and everytime I see a MM piece I''m just in awe of the finish. Glad to hear the story ended well.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CONGRATS COCONUTPIG!!!
emthup.gif

gladstone

Rough_Rock
May I ask how much he charged you for that setting? I asked because you mentioned that there was no custom work involved. The CAD image was all you want. MM often charges a design fee for custom pieces. I would love to know because I am thinking about a similar piece.

blingblingsuzi

Rough_Rock
Congrats on your gorgeous 3-stone ring! Do you have more pictures, side profile of MM''s design? It''s stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results