shape
carat
color
clarity

Three-Stone Bezel Reset - David Klass

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
I’m so excited to share my reset of my three-stone ring with you all. It’s still on its way to me (tomorrow!!), so I haven’t had a chance to take handshots, but I’m going to post David’s pictures first.

My original setting was very plain -- platinum wire four-prong baskets on a 18K yellow gold shank. I had been toying with a reset for a few years now, and really liked the idea of a bezel setting. The only problem was, I didn’t particularly care for the standard design when it came to bezeled three-stone rings, where the bezels are raised over the band like a bridge, with empty space under the stones. Very classic and sleek, but I craved something with more detail, something to fill in that empty space. But invariably, when I saw a three stone with filigree or other floral motifs in the gallery, they were prong set.

So, I’ve been lurking on SMTB, getting an idea of the style and workmanship of the different vendors. And David’s work caught my eye -- not because he had a ready-made floral bezel setting, but because of the fineness of the milgrain, and the beautiful engraving, both of which I wanted for my ring. Scrolling through his facebook photos, I saw a prong-set three-stone with a petal gallery that I really liked, so I decided to email him: can this be done with bezels?

David was wonderful. It only took a few emails back and forth, and two CADs, and here we are:

Center stone 1.1ct, side stones 0.5ct each. Ring size 5.25.

yanaazuldavidklass1.jpg

yanaazuldavidklass2.jpg

yanaazuldavidklass3.jpg

yanaazuldavidklass4.jpg

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Here is the inspiration ring, from David's facebook page. If the owner of this ring is a PSer, please post!

davidklasspetal.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Your yg beauty is a stunner!!!!

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
I've always appreciated when people post their CAD and wax, because it's helpful to see how the custom process takes shape, and it is just plain cool. Funny story, my husband was all polite nods through my whole search and thought process, but when I showed him the CADs and then the wax pictures, then he got all hey that's really cool! :lol:

As mentioned, David was just a pleasure to work with. The CAD above is the second, he pretty much nailed my various requests -- overlapping bezels, slightly domed shank -- on the first, and the second was to adjust the way the petals cupped the bezel and the overall height of the ring. And then it was off to be cast!

An additional thing I appreciated about David was his going the extra mile on the alloy -- I have numerous pieces of 18K yellow gold jewelry from mulitple vendors, and I have three pieces that are a different shade from all the rest -- my 1st wedding band (5mm), 2nd wedding band (3mm), and the shank of my original three-stone setting. I don't know why, but those three pieces are a more "buttery" yellow than any of the other 18K gold pieces. So of course I wanted this ring to match the band it would be sitting next to. I know he cast the ring at least twice before he was satisfied that it was a match, and I am grateful for that kind of effort.

yanaazuldavidklasscad.jpg

yanaazuldavidklasswax.jpg

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Thanks AprilBaby! I cannot wait to get this tomorrow!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
This is amazing! Thanks for sharing the details. It's really exciting and informative to read and see the design work. Can't wait for more pics on hand! :love:

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I just love it! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! I have never worked with David Klass but I am impressed with his craftsmanship and quality of work based on all the pieces PSers have been commissioning him to do. :love: Gorgeous. :love:

kellydean

Rough_Rock
beautiful and graceful !! please post pictures as soon as you receive it!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Beautitul ring! Please post lots of hand shots!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Wow that is one of the prettiest three stone rings that I have ever seen!!! You must be so excited to get this beauty on your hand. I look forward to seeing more pictures of it.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not usually a fan of 3 stones, but yours is so pretty! The detail work is lovely and gives it a little umph. Enjoy!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just beautiful and the color of the gold is gorgeous! :love:

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous! I love a bezel that looks antique!!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
That is sooooo gorgeous.I am so excited for you. I have come to realize that I am a profile kinda gal and that profile is so beautiful. Delicate and ornate and so yummylicious :love: Can't wait for hand shots. Thank you for sharing the details of your reset journey. I've worked with other vendors and designers and most are great but DK goes above and beyond. He will bend over backwards to make his customers happy.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
This is so stunning and AMAZING! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a chique ring!!! And David nailed it with the detailing like the overlapping bezels and the gorgeous engraving. It's fabulous to the max. Would love to hear what you think when you see it with your own eyes. My prediction is that you will not believe your eyes.
You made great design choices!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a gorgeous ring! I love everything about it. The color is so rich, the detail work is perfect, and I love the baskets. David does some outstanding work. What I like best about it is, it looks like a ring that can be worn safely at all times. It is substantial enough to not bend but has a lovely delicate quality about it as well. What a perfect combination! Hope you post some more photos when it is on your hand!

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Thanks SparklySoprano, Fancygems, missy, kellydean, ricezo, Sundial, kgizo, redwood66, treysar, Diamondbug, lorrissey, Acinom, and luv2sparkle! Still waiting, the tracking page says out for delivery!

Diamondbug said:
That is sooooo gorgeous.I am so excited for you. I have come to realize that I am a profile kinda gal and that profile is so beautiful. Delicate and ornate and so yummylicious :love:

Me too, exactly! Which is why the usual three-stone bezel bridge over the band just didn't speak to me. Don't get me wrong, I think the James Meyer-type settings are beautiful and classic, and at times I came close to just going with that because I was so intent on having bezels. But I'm so glad I held out for something that sated my need for ornate and with an antique flavor. And I should say, so, so, grateful for the community that is Pricescope, because without you all, I never would have realized that I could work with a vendor to realize a custom design, instead of just picking something off a menu, so to speak.

luv2sparkle said:
Wow, that is a gorgeous ring! I love everything about it. The color is so rich, the detail work is perfect, and I love the baskets. David does some outstanding work. What I like best about it is, it looks like a ring that can be worn safely at all times. It is substantial enough to not bend but has a lovely delicate quality about it as well.

It is substantial -- David says 5g of gold -- and yet we're looking at these magnified pictures, and you just know it'll be so, so, tiny in person. (Am I weird that I zoomed out the picture until it was about my ring size, and put my hand up against the monitor? :lol: ) The shank width before engraving is 2.7mm. I had originally thrown out 2.0mm in my specs because that's the width of my original (plain) shank, but David advised that it would be too thin given the engraving would thin it out a bit. This is why we listen to the experts!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, I just love it. What a beautiful side view!

I hope you don't mind but I pinned it!

Congratulations!

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Thanks maccers! I don't mind at all. David already posted it on his facebook page, too.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
It's here! I can't believe how beautiful it is, and how fine the details are. This just turned out so much better than I ever could have imagined -- when I was writing out my very first email to David, I was thinking in the back of my mind, maybe this won't work. Maybe you can't just plop bezels on a design meant for prongs. But David made it look like the design look like it was always meant to have bezels. I am so over the moon!

Handshots! Wedding band is 3mm, french cut sapphire band is 2mm.

Profile view:

Profile view without the wedding bands:

Real life perspective, I was incredibly distracted for the rest of the afternoon, hahaha. Did I mention bezels make the diamonds look bigger? Awesome finger coverage!

Thanks for looking!

yanaazuldavidklass5.jpg

yanaazuldavidklass6.jpg

yanaazuldavidklass7.jpg

yanaazulkeyboard.jpg

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning! The details, color, 3-stone bezel... Incredible! Fabulous workmanship. And fabulous design. I'm glad you stuck with your plan. Thank you for sharing! I also really love the sapphire band with it. :drool:

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new ring :)

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new ring :)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous! I have developed a serious love for gold and engraving and this is just perfect! :love:

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Thanks SparklySoprano, chel180, and Asscherhalo_lover!

Asscherhalo_lover said:
Absolutely gorgeous! I have developed a serious love for gold and engraving and this is just perfect! :love:

It's just so delicious, isn't it? I look at my old setting and it just looks so plain! The engraving just makes the whole thing. (I wish I had thought to ask David to take a picture of the setting prior to the engraving, that would have been neat to see the before-and-after.) PSers who recognize me from the Colored Stones side probably remember that I favor settings with no melee, and carved/swirly baskets (which you can't see in my avatar), and I'm so happy my e-ring now has that same spirit.

SparklySoprano said:
Absolutely stunning! The details, color, 3-stone bezel... Incredible! Fabulous workmanship. And fabulous design. I'm glad you stuck with your plan. Thank you for sharing! I also really love the sapphire band with it. :drool:

Thanks, the sapphire band was such a find! I had to get over the fact that I'm mixing a white metal with all my yellow gold, but for an antique french cut band, I managed it! ;-)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love it! Looks amazing. I wouldn't be getting ANY work done ;-)

HS4S

Rough_Rock
Beautiful!

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Thanks telephone89 and HS4S!

No flowers, but here are pics on a jade plant:

Thanks for looking!

yanaazuldavidklass8.jpg

yanaazuldavidklass9.jpg

yanaazuldavidklass10.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results