shape
carat
color
clarity

Three Brazilians join a band or what happened to those those itsy bitsy Emeralds?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reminder all! I started a magical project with Sako of Cicada Design in Feb 2020.

Ever since I joined PS I have been on this epic "ideal wedding band" hunt. And thanks to PS I learned there is no one band to rule them all, which is fantastic/horrifying since I can collect endless bands at this point. And oh have I.

But pitched deeply into that hunt back in fall 2019, can you even remember such a time? Ah the heady pre Covid days. I discovered this ring on Berganza and fell hopelessly in love

image_1858162553499184.jpg

But at almost 9k there no way in a million years. Is it perfect? Yes. Would I still adore it? Yes. Would I ever hand over that much money for a band? Hell, no. So I set about trying to recreate it in a sense.

I knew Sako did amazing restoration work and had a level of skill and art deco aesthetic to die for but I figured he was out of my budget as well. I did acquire some French cut diamonds, turns out they were too big for this season (perish the thought right?) But kept striking out on designers. Sometime on January I was chatting with Sako about my favorite grill in his area and asked could he create something like this delicate, colorful, at deco-ey elegance. He said yes and oh btw I have 3 emeralds sitting on my safe. Hence the previous post
Itsy bitsy emeralds

I snagged those, which he counted as the deposit, and then we set out on the design.

IMG_20200128_165346_994.jpg

IMG_20200212_230112_221.jpg

Initially we were talking about using the French cuts I had with double milgrain to fill in the size differences. I really struggled with it because it didn't feel like anything close to the original, it just seemed too wide and bulky to my untrained eye. Had they been smaller and I had 4 it would have probably worked fine.

We tried to flip the emeralds slim it down:
IMG_20200226_175449_858.jpg

Finally we settled upon baguettes, which hewed much closer to the inspo. As I discussed in the other thread the emeralds has to be trimmed and tapered so that would help with the heft.

IMG_20200418_181913_764.jpg
If you are keeping count it was 3 CADs, which apparently is quite a few. So lesson learned for me is to be more confident about my gut feelings, I didn't think the FCs would work but couldn't picture it so wasted time (and CADs) trying to make it happen. The baguettes ended up being perfect. We did flip the emeralds from the CAD above so the length wasn't quite as long. I should have been more on top of that since I originally was more concerned about the width.

My only good to know was I should have asked about the height off the finger as it wasn't on this particular CAD. In a perfect world I would have preferred it be a bit lower, pavilions allowing, but they hadn't cut the stones yet so I'm not sure they had a good idea how deep the stones would be.

And here we go! Sako is great about sending photos so I got to see progress as we went along. It definitely kept me motivated during the initial shutdown days.
IMG_20200805_150311_038.jpg
IMG_20200805_150312_967.jpg IMG_20200813_171728_342.jpg
IMG_20200815_184548_588.jpg

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry was getting too long.

If you have kept up YAY! If not photos coming I promise.

I feel like you always have hindsight or if I could do it again thoughts and so here is one of mine. I had an option to French cut the baguettes to match the emeralds and decided to go for it. Since they were working on existing stones there was no way to make the crowns super puffy/prominent so in hindsight I think I should have left them alone as I prefer more pronounced antiquey FCs and the step cuts were gorgeous as is. Regardless, they do look lovely. Cest la vie

IMG_20200825_195315_697.jpg

The end result!
20200919_124007.jpg 20200919_124021.jpg 20200919_123939.jpg 20200919_124154.jpg 20200919_124007.jpg 20200919_124021.jpg

20200920_163122.jpg

Attachments

• 20200920_150242.jpg
    20200920_150242.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 13

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, this ring is going to be gorgeous! I haven't ever worked with Sako. But everything on his IG is SOOOO beautiful, and I want something from him so bad!

Haha, wrote that before you added more pics! I KNEW it would be amazing!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
If you got through all that Bravo!

A few thoughts because I do believe you learn about yourself and the process with each custom processes.

Working with Sako was a lot of fun. He is super friendly and I enjoy his personality. He also is super responsive. Most of our comms were via IG messages and for complex projects I don't think its the best medium for me. YMMV. I think some things get lost in the stream of messages and it is very hard to go back and find what you said two weeks ago. Since this lasted almost a year it was a lot of communication. I certainly forgot things I asked or forgot to follow up. I think I there may have been some assumptions on my part and maybe on his too so an email spelling it all out probably would have helped. I did send one towards the end of the process but it was pretty late and more about cost versus design.

The quality of work is unbelievable and I am very happy with setting and cutting. The emeralds look better than I can capture and absolutely glow. The setting is smooth and weighty and comfortable to wear. Cicada has a distinct aesthetic and it shows in all their work. The engraving is top notch.

I am a panic case about custom work, I have a very hard time seeing how things will look on my head, really I should never do custom again (so says my husband). I don't read CADs well at all so I depended heavily on here. I kept coming back to it being delicate etc etc and you can't see engraving on a CAD so I probably sounded like a moron.

Along those lines, did I get the inspo ring exactly? No. Could anyone recreate it exactly? I don't think so but not for the price I could afford. I do realize I should have looked for much smaller emeralds as there wasn't really anyway to get the emeralds I had down to the size in the inspo without absolutely massacring them. I didn't understand that so ended up with a wider and higher band than I first envisioned. In hindsight, cutting the stones any smaller would have likely destroyed the color and made for a much less attractive ring.

I'd love to get a diamond French cut band to wear alongside this one as I don't have anything that is tall enough other than my ER. More fun in the future perhaps :)

20200918_235833.jpg

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for coming back and updating. The emeralds are lovely and "smooth and comfortable" was one of the thoughts going through my mind when I saw the pictures.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous. Some day I’d like to do a project with him. He seems like fun and his workmanship looks too notch.
Enjoy your new ring. It fits right into your color preferences and style.
*Chef’s kiss*

If you got through all that Bravo!

A few thoughts because I do believe you learn about yourself and the process with each custom processes.

Working with Sako was a lot of fun. He is super friendly and I enjoy his personality. He also is super responsive. Most of our comms were via IG messages and for complex projects I don't think its the best medium for me. YMMV. I think some things get lost in the stream of messages and it is very hard to go back and find what you said two weeks ago. Since this lasted almost a year it was a lot of communication. I certainly forgot things I asked or forgot to follow up. I think I there may have been some assumptions on my part and maybe on his too so an email spelling it all out probably would have helped. I did send one towards the end of the process but it was pretty late and more about cost versus design.

The quality of work is unbelievable and I am very happy with setting and cutting. The emeralds look better than I can capture and absolutely glow. The setting is smooth and weighty and comfortable to wear. Cicada has a distinct aesthetic and it shows in all their work. The engraving is top notch.

I am a panic case about custom work, I have a very hard time seeing how things will look on my head, really I should never do custom again (so says my husband). I don't read CADs well at all so I depended heavily on here. I kept coming back to it being delicate etc etc and you can't see engraving on a CAD so I probably sounded like a moron.

Along those lines, did I get the inspo ring exactly? No. Could anyone recreate it exactly? I don't think so but not for the price I could afford. I do realize I should have looked for much smaller emeralds as there wasn't really anyway to get the emeralds I had down to the size in the inspo without absolutely massacring them. I didn't understand that so ended up with a wider and higher band than I first envisioned. In hindsight, cutting the stones any smaller would have likely destroyed the color and made for a much less attractive ring.

I'd love to get a diamond French cut band to wear alongside this one as I don't have anything that is tall enough other than my ER. More fun in the future perhaps :)

20200918_235833.jpg

Thank you for sharing your experience with completing a custom project via IG. It's such a new medium for me so I appreciate learning more of its potential.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your rings!! :love:
Great recap - you are a good storyteller :)

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing this beauty and the story! Enjoy!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the end result!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a beautiful ring and I really enjoyed all the pictures and details of the process. Thank you for sharing it

Papillion

Rough_Rock
Thanks for sharing! Love reading about custom rings and who's a good artisan. Your ring turned out beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results