shape
carat
color
clarity

Threading....

Discussion in 'Bride World Wide & Grooms Grooves' started by Gypsy, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. Gypsy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Gypsy » Apr 26, 2008
    Okay so I've gotten threaded before. Most of the woman in my family can do it. Many times since I hit 16. But I've only got it done on my eyebrows, chin or upperlip.

Oh... and I got my WHOLE FACE threaded today to see if it's something I want to do before the wedding. And if I wanted to do it how many days in advance I should get it done.

HELL NO. I NEVER want to do that again. My eyebrows? Sure. My upper lip? Fine. My chin. No problem. But I'll be damned if I let them ANYWHERE near my cheeks again. Or my hairline. Ouch, ouch, ouch. The lady had to get ICE PACKS I was in such intense pain, and my skin was BRIGHT purple. Never again. *shuddering*.

Just an FYI if you are ever considering it. I consider this a public service announcement.

My face, from my cheekbones (just under my eyes) to my jaw line are on FIRE still. That's AFTER advil and tylenol.

And I have a facial at the dermatologist on Tuesday. YIKES.[​IMG]

2. FrekeChild
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by FrekeChild » Apr 26, 2008
    Ok, I''ve always wondered what is threading and how it works. I just don''t get it. Then again, no one has ever tried to explain it to me either. So if you wouldn''t mind...

BTW Hi Gypsy!

3. Gypsy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

4. FrekeChild
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by FrekeChild » Apr 26, 2008
    Not much that I know of...Um. I was bored today and avoiding homework (which I just got finished with!) and took lots of pics...

blah. I'll just post the link. Here!

ETA: Threading looks scary around the eyebrow area. Not long ago I cut off half of my eyelashes because I was trimming my eyebrow hairs...I'll stick to tweezing/waxing I think.

5. Gypsy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Gypsy » Apr 26, 2008
    WOW. Nice collection for a poor college student! Your tanzanite is my favorite!!

Great camera!

6. oobiecoo
    Ideal_Rock

by oobiecoo » Apr 26, 2008
    I''ve always wondered about this also... I just don''t get how they can do it so fast and precise!? I want to try it but I don''t think I''d ever let them near my cheeks. It''s bad enough when I use pore strips on them![​IMG]

7. SarahLovesJS
    Ideal_Rock

by SarahLovesJS » Apr 26, 2008
    Wow I''ve never heard of this!! It doesn''t look that painful, but sounds very painful. [​IMG][​IMG] I think I''ll stick to waxing!! Thanks for posting this, I love learning new things.

8. sera
    Ideal_Rock

by sera » Apr 26, 2008
    I have my eyebrows threaded... I love how precise it is, but hate the pain... my skin is red forEVA after it. I have to do it on my way home so I can hide afterwards.

9. FrekeChild
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by FrekeChild » Apr 27, 2008
    Hi guys! I''m glad I''m not the only one on all late and on a Saturday!

Seriously, threading is definitely NOT FOR ME. The woman in the video is all calm and the people she''s doing it to look like they are hypnotized. Although I think I''d like to try it just to try it and say I lived through it. Hmmm...

10. Gypsy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Gypsy » Apr 27, 2008
    Yeah. RED. Like a lobster. Don't get me wrong the eyebrows look fabulous (not that you really notice them what with the cheeks being on fire... NINE HOURS LATER). And I'll be going back for eyebrows. Maybe upper lip and chin too. But that's it. I've had my cheeks waxed and I'm red, but it goes away. Of course I breakout like you wouldn't believe afterward.

One of my cousins uses NAIR on HER FACE. Can't be good. But at least it's pain free. Two times won't hurt. I can try it once, and if it works do it ONE more time after the wedding????

The precise is because the thread is like a razor. It puts down a line and removes (okay so TEARS OUT) everything from where it was put down, to where it meets the other thread. Fast... well, that takes practice and good eye sight. If pore strips bug you AVOID this.

Sarah, it's supposed to be better than waxing, because it doesn't pull your skin, especially your upper eyelid skin, so it's supposed to better in terms of wrinkles and aging. But, it hurts. A good, patient plucking is the best thing, I think.

11. FrekeChild
    Super_Ideal_Rock

[​IMG][​IMG]

NAIR on her FACE?!?!?!

I used it once...On my legs. Every single pore it touched lost it''s hair...and then turned into a scab. Yeah. I had millions of tiny little red scabs all over my legs for almost 2 weeks. I was 14 and played tennis everyday. With BOYS.

One of the most mortifying time of my life.

I can''t get over that she uses it on her face. Yeesh!

[​IMG]

12. Gypsy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Gypsy » Apr 27, 2008
    Yeah. She''s older (70s) so she just doesn''t have the patience for waxing or threading so she uses NAIR. They apparently have a gentle formula.

I''ve only used it once. On my arm. It worked okay. But the little dark hairs shrivled up like dead ants and cling to my skin and it really turned my stomach so I''ve never used it again.

13. FrekeChild
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Nair is scary scary stuff. Seriously. Yikes.

Ok. To bed with the Lizzie...

14. Gypsy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

15. Gypsy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Gypsy » Apr 27, 2008
    You know One of my nicknames is "The Lizzie"... short for The Lizard (as in cute little lizard which is a LONG LONG story).

I'm off to bed too. Good night all. [​IMG]

16. oobiecoo
    Ideal_Rock

by oobiecoo » Apr 27, 2008
    I used Nair on my face once in high school... I turned all red and scabby! And I could never get it to work on my arms or legs so I just shave my arms now.

17. sumbride
    Ideal_Rock

by sumbride » Apr 27, 2008
    I had my eyebrows threaded once and they looked great, but I haven''t gone back because the best lady in town is VERY popular, doesn''t make appointments, and I waited almost 2 hours for it... with blond brows, it''s just not worth it for me. While I was there I saw a few people getting their whole face done and it just looked SO time consuming and painful... I don''t think I''d ever agree to it. The brows didn''t hurt that much, but the rest of the face... no.

Be very very careful with Nair on your face. I would seriously do a patch test with about a half an inch somewhere you can hide with your hair just in case you have a reaction. Seriously, don''t just slather it on your face until you''re sure. Arms and legs are different than faces!!!

18. Ellen
    Super_Ideal_Rock

19. diamondfan
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondfan » Apr 27, 2008
    I loved the way my brows looked after threading but had a hard time in the suburbs here finding someone who does it. My favorite woman was in L.A. Since I left there I found one woman here that did it but she no longer does, I guess it was too painful on her neck and mouth or something.

20. isaku5
    Ideal_Rock

by isaku5 » Apr 27, 2008
    I''ve heard of threading, but never knew what was involved and thought it might be worth a try. After what I''m seeing and hearing, there isn''t even the remotest possibility that I''ll do it!

Tried Nair on my legs way back when it was the new kid on the block: ugly scabs, burns and pain. I won''t even touch their new "milder" product

I''ve had the waxing on eyebrows and bikini area; After a day or two the redness went away, but didn''t realize then that waxing eyebrows pulls the delicate skin around the eyes and now I have baggier upper lids that I would have if I''d stuck to tweezing!! Rats!!

In my 30''s I had a professional facial every second week to try to tighten larger skin pores. It worked well, but became too costly.

I''m lucky to have a fair complexion so I don''t have to worry as much as my darker skinned friends who tell me they''re having their face "cleaned up".[​IMG]OUCH!

21. diamondfan
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondfan » Apr 27, 2008
    I have fair hair and not a lot of facial hair, it was only for my brows. It was a touch painful...but not awful.

22. LAJennifer
    Ideal_Rock

by LAJennifer » Apr 27, 2008
    I get my whole face threaded on a regular basis. Never had a problem. Maybe it depends on the person doing the threading? Or maybe I just have a really high tolerance for pain.

23. CJ2008
    Ideal_Rock

by CJ2008 » Apr 27, 2008
    I get my eyebrows threaded all the time. The lady who does them is excellent, she takes her time and always gets them just right. It hurts, though, I dislike the actual process more each time I get them done. But if you find someone good, it's more precise than wax.

One day, I asked her about removing the blonde peach fuzz on my face (which I hate). She said she would do one side with wax, one side with threading, to see which one I could tolerate better.

OH MAN. THANK GOODNESS I did only a small patch on each side. BOTH sides were red for HOURS. Actually, the skin didn't look back to normal until after a day or two. I will NEVER do that again.

24. surfgirl
    Ideal_Rock

by surfgirl » Apr 27, 2008
    Ack, just thinking about this brought back traumatic memories...I was in Africa, desperately in need of a lip wax and went into this little salon and they said yes they could do it...Little did I know it wasn''t waxing, it was threading...You wouldn''t think it''d be painful but bloody hell, it is...Never again. [​IMG]

25. Gypsy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Gypsy » Apr 27, 2008
    Okay so, I'll definitely do a patch test with the Nair.

I slathered my face in Neosporin (creme not petrolium jelly) last night. It looks a little better this morning. Had a couple of pimples, but they weren't anything bad. Skin still doesn't look normal so I put aloe on it. Hoping by tomorrow it looks better.

The eyebrows look great. Better than waxing (and I have a great lady who waxes) and better, admittedly, than my own plucking. I will definitely thread the eyebrows for the wedding.

I have olive skin and dark hair, so Isabel... I go in for 'face cleaning' too. I am just waiting for the day I can go in an get everything except my eyebrows lasered away. As for waxing... that's what I've heard anyway, even my dermatologist recommends threading for the eyebrows or plucking instead of waxing. Sorry.

The video shows one way to hold the thread, another way requires you to hold one end of the thread with your mouth and can be hard on the neck and mount (DF, that's probably why the lady you know stopped). There were both types of threaders at this place.

Jennifer... The lady didn't have 'good' hands. My uncle's wife does, and when she threads me there is very little to no pain at all on my eyebrows, upper lip and chin. But she's not at talented at getting my eyebrows just right, this lady really was. I know many people who get their whole face done all the time (my mother, grandmother... cousins)... and it might bea tolerance thing. But on my dad's side (that I take after in this respect) all of the women have bad reactions to threading. My aunts eyebrows BLEED when she gets waxed or threaded. So I think that has something to do with it too.

Surfgirl, sorry it was so traumatic. If you aren't anticipating it I can't imagine it would be a good experience.

Claudinam. Yes, neither is looking like a good solution for my cheek fuzz (I've got blond fuzz on my cheeks too, thankfully it's not dark).

I'll report back if the Nair is promising. If not... back to the drawing board.

26. basil
    Brilliant_Rock

by basil » Apr 27, 2008
    I used to get my eyebrows threaded..I love the way it looks, but my eyes would water up and the poor lady would always stop and ask if I was okay or if I was crying..

I can''t imagine getting it done on the whole face!! You''re very brave, Gypsy!

27. sera
    Ideal_Rock

by sera » Apr 27, 2008
    I tried Nair''s "milder" product... it started burning my legs before it removed any hair. I''ll never try it again.

Gypsy, I would really recommend trying Gigi Hair Removal Cream (you can buy it at Sally Beauty) before attempting Nair (of course try a patch test). There''s a LOT less irritation with Gigi than Nair... though any chemical burning out the hair from your body is bound to have a bit of irritation. [​IMG]

28. CJ2008
    Ideal_Rock

by CJ2008 » Apr 27, 2008
    OK...

I am about to suggest something that is [​IMG].

I know that sounds really gross. But I was telling a friend of mine that I had tried all kinds of things to get rid of the blonde peach fuzz on my face, and she told me that she shaves it, and has been doing it for years (she made a joke about how she''s Italian, and that she has to). I''ve done it once or twice, and it still freaks me out, but it doesn''t irritate my face. From what I''ve read, the hair will NOT come back darker, or thicker. Of course that is my biggest fear, that''s why I can''t bring myself to doing it all the time. [​IMG]

29. Gypsy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Gypsy » Apr 27, 2008
    Sera thanks for the link. I will definitely try that next. I doubt I'll use it long term, but short term it might just be what I need. Gigi has good products. They have a facial wax that can be used to remove grout. I know this cause I bought it, used it, spilled it on the floor... and when I tried to get it up, grout came with it. Stubborn hairs don't stand a chance.

Claudinam. I can't do it. I actually get bad razor burn. Even with shaving creme. I tried it a couple of times in my twenties when I didn't have time to get waxed... and it was bad. Lots of tiny pimples and a rash everywhere. My face does NOT like having its hair removed I think. I would be afraid of the 'myth' of the stuff growing back extra strength, regardless of science. I'm not that logical, and I AM that worried about my appearance. I can't even shave my arms. It freaks me out. [​IMG]

30. miraclesrule
    Ideal_Rock

by miraclesrule » Apr 27, 2008
    claudinam: One of my friends swears by this. She shaves her face all the time. She says that is why men age differently than women. Shaving. She says it''s a natural exfoliant.

Personally, I''m in the camp with Gypsy. I don''t trust in the not coming back thicker myth. I am a hard core plucker, through and through. I can''t be waxed on the face. I break out in a rash, don''t know if its due to the wax or the stuff they put on afterwards, or what. But I have to pluck. I have a 10x magnifying mirror and I will pluck for hours on a weekend. It''s an addiction I think.

Jeez Gypsy, I got wincy reading your story. It''s sound like torture. Maybe this should be added to the bill on torture... "Threading Prohibited at Guantanimo" It just reminded me of 40-year old virgin when I read your post. On the other hand, if it could permanently remove chin hairs, I think I could put up with the pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.