shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts? Opinions? Pictures?

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm very interested in getting moissanite stud earrings. I've been watching Distinctive Gem to see if a discount event appears but nothing yet. I would go with the ideal round if I end up using them. Today I started looking at the OEC studs from Sin City Finds. My goal is 7.5mm regardless of which vendor/cut. I love the setting shown on Sin City. And it looks Sin City cost would be considerably less than half of Distinctive Gem. I know that OEC versus ideal MRB is ultimately a personal preference/choice. I like both. Please chime in with thoughts or opinions and of course personal experience and pictures if you have them! It's a nice distraction and a true first world problem in the midst of a crazy time. Thanks!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is funny because I just commented on someone else's thread about nearly the same thing.

So, I've had an OEC from Sin City which was 8mm it was a really pretty stone and there is video and pictures on my IG if you want to check them out slynnrose12. I didn't end up keeping it only because 8mm was a tad too big for me. I also have video of the Amora which might give you an idea of what to expect from the H&A cut.

The Amora Gem I have is the Eternity, ideal cut and LOVE it. I believe it is fairly comparable to the Distinctive Gem from what I've read on other boards but I haven't personally owned both so can't say that for fact. Here are a few pictures of that. I really thought I would love the OEC cut but much prefer this one:

IMG_8086.JPG

IMG_8114.JPG

IMG_8115.JPG

Honestly this ring looks amazing nearly all the time. I do love the settings on those SinCity earrings, so pretty!

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well..,your Amora gem is gorgeous! I love the video, seeing it in action! But darn, your Sin City stone was gorgeous too! Thank you for your thoughtful reply and the pictures and Instagram. I will keep looking and thinking!

Also, I adore your calico girl, and I'm mad that I now know about Aldi's pastry!! :lol::kiss2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ally66, Aldi's is the bomb, they have some great stuff. I swear my IG is bling, food and animals lol!

One thing I will say is with the OEC I was somewhat annoyed that the center would reflect dark things (my hair, phone case etc) and look black in the middle. The faceting of the H&A cut eliminates that but you lose the bold flashes of the OEC. It's really a personal preference, obviously a lot of people adore the OEC cut in moissanite.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the dark reflection would bother me, too. Definitely something to think about. Such different personalities and attributes!

I will have to put an Aldi trip on the agenda when it's time to venture out for groceries again!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have oec moissy earrings from one of the vendors on Etsy. I think they are nice. They were cheaper than going with Diana. I think Diana has great stuff, but I couldn't justify the difference when I was unsure I'd even like them. I wear them a lot. I'd like to get them reset in a nicer setting eventually.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @elizat! Do you happen to remember the name of the Etsy shop?

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I got my earrings done with OEC moissanites from Tianyu - 7mm round, and I asked Tinayu to make the culets a bit bigger than usual. I think those were around $280 (it was $215, I checked) for the two stones. Then I sent them to David Klass to make BDG inspired bezels, he charged $350 in 2019 for 14kt white gold. I chose the 7mm stones after looking through a couple of different sizes. I thought the 7mm was the best for everyday wear with OECs. In my opinion, small OECs, like 5mm or 6mm, don't look as great to me in person. They photograph gorgeous, but in person, those tiny flashes don't look as great as a modern brilliants when placed side by side.

DKJPV19_04_10_MGS_ 51987 -- 1.jpg DKJPV19_04_10_MGS_ 51987 -- 2.jpg

Edit: I looked at what Sin City Finds was charging and I think it's pretty reasonable. One thing to consider is that it was a complete pain in the behind to order via Alibaba and I think this project took me about 4 months to get the moissanites, and then turn around and send to David. Maybe ask for a bit of a discount? Or you could go the bare budget option and try sourcing yourself.

Last edited:

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Grymera, those are lovely! Thank you for sharing your experience and photos. I've wondered about Tiyanu and it seems like people have had good results. They look beautiful and I love your settings. I'm debating 7mm vs 7.5mm for daily wear. I think I have room for the larger size but I want them to look reasonable.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
@Grymera, those are lovely! Thank you for sharing your experience and photos. I've wondered about Tiyanu and it seems like people have had good results. They look beautiful and I love your settings. I'm debating 7mm vs 7.5mm for daily wear. I think I have room for the larger size but I want them to look reasonable.

I picked 7mm, especially since I was bezeling them. You have a six prong setting, so it's going to give you some weight as well. I think the 7mm looks like a 7.5mm or 8mm in the setting, and a 7.5mm would look more like an 8mm or a 8.5mm. But ultimately, it's only a .5mm difference which isn't a lot.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do need to keep the visual weight and actual size of the setting in mind!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Ok, mine are from diamond rensu on Etsy. The total with shipping was $250. They are 2 ctw equivalent. 10kt gold. The setting isn't up to what I normally want, but this was a test run pair. Most of my new pieces are CvB though or genuine antique, so it's a comparing apples to oranges.

Comparison photo next to an oec diamond. ETA: Gold in my ring is 22kt. That's why the earring looks washed out for the gold.

IMG_20200417_140533.jpg IMG_20200417_140437.jpg IMG_20200417_140445.jpg

Last edited:

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got my earrings done with OEC moissanites from Tianyu - 7mm round, and I asked Tinayu to make the culets a bit bigger than usual. I think those were around $280 (it was $215, I checked) for the two stones. Then I sent them to David Klass to make BDG inspired bezels, he charged $350 in 2019 for 14kt white gold. I chose the 7mm stones after looking through a couple of different sizes. I thought the 7mm was the best for everyday wear with OECs. In my opinion, small OECs, like 5mm or 6mm, don't look as great to me in person. They photograph gorgeous, but in person, those tiny flashes don't look as great as a modern brilliants when placed side by side.

DKJPV19_04_10_MGS_ 51987 -- 1.jpg DKJPV19_04_10_MGS_ 51987 -- 2.jpg

Edit: I looked at what Sin City Finds was charging and I think it's pretty reasonable. One thing to consider is that it was a complete pain in the behind to order via Alibaba and I think this project took me about 4 months to get the moissanites, and then turn around and send to David. Maybe ask for a bit of a discount? Or you could go the bare budget option and try sourcing yourself.

I have a little mental block about getting started with Tianyu or similar vendors just because it feels cumbersome. But I think your end result was worth it! I do agree, though, that the Sin City Finds pricing for what feels like a "sure thing" is good. I just wish I could tip the scale one way or the other, OEC vs ideal H&A. I don't think I can go wrong either way, but...?

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@elizat, those stones look very nice! I think they hold up well next to your (stunning, gorgeous) diamond! (I do love your three stone!) And for that price give or take a little, I wonder if I should do a test run pair too? Thank you for sharing!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@elizat, those stones look very nice! I think they hold up well next to your (stunning, gorgeous) diamond! (I do love your three stone!) And for that price give or take a little, I wonder if I should do a test run pair too? Thank you for sharing!

Sure! I think the settings from Diana will be better. But I don't mind the cut on these. I have replaced settings on studs before and I think you could do it for $200 or so. I almost ordered from Diana too, but I didn't know if I'd really wear these.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm coming back to update this thread because I did finally make a decision, and purchased the OEC earrings from Sin City Finds. And I love them! I opted for the 7.5mm stones. At first I was unsure of the size, thinking they were too big. But I have good lobe real estate and I'm pretty sure I would have had some shrinkage issues eventually. Working with Diana was easy and lovely. I'm very happy with my choice, and I wanted to add some photos in case anyone stumbles on this thread when they're researching moissanite studs. (Standard disclaimer...I'm not a photographer, but I did the best my phone would allow!) IMG_5131.JPG IMG_5148.JPG IMG_5147.JPG IMG_5127.JPG IMG_5126.JPG IMG_5125.JPG

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I'm coming back to update this thread because I did finally make a decision, and purchased the OEC earrings from Sin City Finds. And I love them! I opted for the 7.5mm stones. At first I was unsure of the size, thinking they were too big. But I have good lobe real estate and I'm pretty sure I would have had some shrinkage issues eventually. Working with Diana was easy and lovely. I'm very happy with my choice, and I wanted to add some photos in case anyone stumbles on this thread when they're researching moissanite studs. (Standard disclaimer...I'm not a photographer, but I did the best my phone would allow!) IMG_5131.JPG IMG_5148.JPG IMG_5147.JPG IMG_5127.JPG IMG_5126.JPG IMG_5125.JPG

Stunning setting, I love it so much! If you’re comfortable, would you mind sharing the price for the settings? (Sorry if I missed it). I am looking for something similar and feel like I’ve been over priced previously.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, @Sprinkles&Stones! I really love the settings too. I bought the earrings "finished," so I'm not sure how the pricing breaks down for stones vs setting, but my total cost was under $900.

wow what a great price!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results