shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on three stone ring with EC and 2 Cushions?

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
My bf and I are in the process of creating a custom engagement ring. We have settled on a 2.14 D VVS2 emerald cut center stone and want to set it in a three stone ring. After reviewing many options (traps, baguettes, trillions, princess, marquis), I think we have settled on two cushions. It was an absolute knock out at the jeweler's (my jaw dropped and I went "WOW") - but since leaving, I have tried to find the combination somewhere (anywhere!) online, but can't.

So, PS-ers, have you ever seen this combo and what did you think? If you haven't seen it, any concerns?

Here's a pic of the loose stones (they only had one cushion in store that was the right size). Any feedback would be much appreciated - this is my first time doing a custom ring and it's a bit overwhelming! The jeweler is working to create a CAD, so stay tuned on that.

IMG_8531.JPG

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Never seen it but looks gorgeous to me! Enjoy!

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have to say, I really like the look.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
This is an elongated asscher cut center but it should look similar(ish) to this

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@Txborn79 Thanks for linking that - yes, I do believe it will overall be similar to that shape/profile. I especially like the proportions between the center and side. The cushion of course has a more pillow-y look, but the cut corners mimic the emerald nicely, I think. Thanks again!

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@Txborn79 - great find! Thanks for linking again. I really like that combination so I hope that means the EC plus cushions will also work well!

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@Rockcollector - huh. Looking at it again now... yeah, it totally does. I wonder if the jeweler just misspoke when he said it was a cushion? Honestly, I was too distracted by the sparkle...

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
I agree that looks like a radiant cut, but I think that's why it works. It has the same sharp outer angles as the emerald cut. I don't think the more rounded edges of a cushion would look as good. Just make sure your jeweller gets a matching radiant for the other side!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it could work. You saw it in person, though, so your opinion matters most. Mixing cuts can be really cool. I would want a smaller side stone personally.

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@dreamer_dachsie Thanks for taking a look. Yes, I agree mixing could be really nice. When we see the CAD I’ll look at the stone size again, you may be right about the size.

@Whisper89 Thanks for checking it out. Agree - that makes a lot more sense as to why it would work. Cut corners and all. Yes - he’s working on getting a match!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your opinion of course matters most, but imo I don't like the look of mixing a step cut with the super tiny sparkle of a radiant for sides. The type of sparkle is too different to me and I'm just not really a fan - I'd prefer step-cut sides (step-cut traps, step-cut half moons, square emerald cuts, baguettes, tapered baguettes) or something else with a larger, slower sparkle (french cuts, rose cuts, even antique-style cushions). It wouldn't work for me. But like I said, it just has to work for YOU.

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@distracts I am totally with you. That’s actually why I am not a fan of halos with ECs. Too much contrast. But that’s also why I thought this was a cushion at first. It has sorta chunky facets. It has a lot of sparkle but is not overly glittery. If that makes sense?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
what matters most is what you feel it looks to you. :) you saw it in person and you heart went pitter patter.... that is the answer for you.

for me, i would prefer to stick to 3 step cuts in a 3 stone. but you have seen various side stones and this cut works for both of you. I like different, too. Though, I am not sure if this works for me, perhaps it needs to have a longer/ skinnier radiant (another person thinking it is more radiant than cushion cut), for the proportions to look right. Currently, the radiant is more square than the emerald, so my eye isnt catching to that configuration.

setting: I could consider prong and basket set it or bezel them. but need to visualise in a CAD. to be sure, to be sure.

the other links above have all step cuts in a 3 stone with differernt coloured stones and not all colourless like what you are trying to find. i am not sure if you would find many examples of radiants and emeralds in a 3 stone. which, i think you have found out. will be interested to see what your jewler does with this configuration.

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I prefer to pair a step cut with another step cut, so I would go with something else but it’s your ring and you have to love it. Fabulous emerald, congratulations!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would stick with ECs or other step cuts myself. My ultimate 3-stone ring would be 3 ECs, all set in North-South direction, a bigger version of my ER I had many years ago.
However I am not the one going to be wearing this ring forever, so do what you please.

DK :))

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
this is the closest that i can see on google of a 3 stone ring with centre that is step and sides that are more brilliant cut like a radiant.

in this example that i am linking, the sides are rounds. but the proportions seem similar to your radiant in the sense that the rounds look more square due to the trellis prong placement.

I love trellis setting.. the flow of it is beautiful.
I also love tab/ ribbon prongs on the corners of emeralds. There are also double prongs that look amazing as well on the corners of the emeralds.

as i mentioned before, i cant wait to see what your jeweler comes up with.

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@gregchang35 Thank you so much for taking the time to find that link. That's actually really close to the setting we are imagining it - even the diamonds on the band (except a shared prong, not channel set). What I like about the one you linked is, the emerald is still the main focus and the main event. The side stones are just supporting players who's contrast highlights the emerald (if that makes sense). I am also thinking about claw prongs - is that what you mean by tab/ribbon?

Thanks again - I'll be getting the CAD any day now, but will definitely share this link with the jeweler.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results