shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts....on this Tanzanite and Diamond pendant?

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
6329F71F-2841-4CF6-BBE4-5BEEB521A539.jpeg
I posted this in the Jewellery Pieces section but think I might have been in the wrong section as no one has commented, so I’m re posting here, hope that’s ok!

Hi, I’ve seen this beautiful looking Tanzanite and Diamond pendant and I’d like some advice and opinions from you fabulously knowledgable PSers.
It’s a new piece to an older design but it doesn’t have any Lab certificationpaperwork, other than the jewellers personal assessment etc, he’s meant to be a well respected, long standing independent jeweller but I’ve not dealt with him before.
I love it, but I have some hesitation after reading about Tanzanite here and elsewhere online and it sounds like a minefield! I’m Sorry the photo shows it in the shadow of the chin, which makes it look darker. If I did get it, I’d alsohave it on a longer chain
The Tanzanite is (to my eye) a gorgeous colour, deep purply blue with no damage (looked at it with a x10 loope) and even colour (said to be AAAgrade) and the diamonds are @ G/H colour and VS grade (his assessment, but I agree comparing them to my E and F stones), they’re asking I believe a fair price though it’s at the top of our budget.

I’d love some thoughts and advice.....for any aspect. I’m deliberately not saying where it is, as (apologies for being careful) I don’t want to risk someone buying it.....before we’ve made our minds up.
Thank you :twirl:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely. As long as you can return it, I would purchase it and then have it appraised by an independent appraiser.

Good luck.

Q

Queenie60

Very nice pendant. Hope it works for you.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the design. Especially the elegant solution without a visible bale and the overall proportions. The colour is lovely too, but I agree, that coloured stones are a minefield and pricing is so difficult. I have no clue even in what range of price this might fall.
So personally for a completed piece that's mostly about the design, I'll have a rough idea what it would cost to replicate this with DK, for example (nice diamonds, custom cad work ) and then this gives me a rough idea at what price range the stone itself is.
( I did this for a recent purchase of a sapphire ring. I know that cad and diamonds would have been roughly the price I paid, so I didn't care too much about possible treatment of the sapphire. A big No-no when buying for THE STONE)
If it's mainly about the stone for you, this obviously won't work.... I'd suggest to ask the very knowledgeable ladies over in the coloured stone section. They'll be able to comment more on the stone itself.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it. The colour is beautiful & well saturated, the design is feminine & the whole overall look is very appealing. Tanzanite isn't the hardest of stones, so if you were to take HG's advice, he told me it lends itself perfectly for pendants rather than rings.

If the return policy is good & it's within budget, buy it & pop it to a jeweller you trust to cast a quick eye over it.

And keep us posted!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about this gemstone but just wanted to say how much I love this pendant and the color and design are just beautiful. Or should I sat bluetiful and bluelicious. Really lovely. :love:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE IT!!

(I'm sorry - was I not using my indoor voice?)

Seriously tho - I really like it! It's elegant and pretty and eminently wearable. I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely! Agree with what others said about buying it if there's a return period so you can get it checked out by another jeweler.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about Tanzanite, but it is a gorgeous pendant and looks lovely on you. I could see it being very versatile too in terms of when and where you wear it.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate your comments, advice and the consensus that it is a lovely looking pendant (phew!) and that I should get an Independent appraisal done if we buy it.

Thanks Diamond Girl 21 and Queenie60. I’m so glad that you like it and your positive comments are encouraging. That’s a good idea to have it independently appraised, although I’m not sure how long that would take as last time I had one done they needed the jewellery for 3 weeks! So I’m not sure if the selling jeweller would agree to a return after that long...worth checking though...thank you.

Thanks kipari, really helpful comments, I do think it’s a fair price and the exercise you suggested of breaking the stats for price down does help by coming out in favour of buying it...happy smile.

Thanks Alex T, such lovely comments. This pendant obviously has nothing to do with the wonderful HG Bespoke...though I did think that if it does sell before we can buy it, then I’d approach HG to ask him to make a copy/inspired by piece just like it for me.

Thanks everyone for talking about a return policy...I feel silly saying this but I never thought of that before you all mentioned it here. I always presumed that unless something is faulty etc then it’s a done deal...but I don’t even know why I think that!! I’m now better educated..lol!

Thanks Missy, very kind of you and I love your comments...bluetiful etc.

Thanks tyty333, I think you’re correct the coloured stone section may be good for comments on Tanzanite aspects. I’ll look into moving rather than just re starting the thread again.

Thanks mrs-b, I love your excited outdoor voice, made me smile. I’m thinking I should have bought this at the time, now that I’m getting such encouraging feedback. I do hope my OH agrees...I’m doubly falling in love with it now and I hope it’s still there!! :lickout:

Thank you Rfisher and JPie.

Thank you Runningwithscissors, lovely comments and that’s what the jewellery said actually that it was versatile and would get lots of wear...I think I was a bit ‘bowled over’ by its bling and could only see it as a dress piece...but you’re right, it would be versatile and could look lovely with more casual wear eg. white shirt and jeans etc.

Thank you I Love it...fingers crossed!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the tanzanite color, I've really never seen a tanzanite that color, the diamonds look lively, someone above kindly gave you good advice, if you love it, buy it and you can return the pendant if it doesn't appraise to your satisfaction.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Hounddog that is one gorgeous pendant!

I don't recall the technical term but you can tell with very good certainty if your blue Tanzanite stone is real by looking at the stone from the side or from the back. You should be able to see a lot more purple than blue. This is because the highest quality Tanzanite contains a lot of blue color but it is only visible if the stone is cut in a certain way such that the blue color "plane" faces the crown of the stone.

I believe the wholesale price for highest quality Tanzanite is about $500/ct, you can at least double that for full B&M retail price.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry I’ve been quiet for a little, life just became busy!

Thank you Tekate, it is a great colour. I’ve decided I really really do want it....but I’m going to have to hope it’s still there when we can go to the shop again. There’s a lot going on at the moment. You’re right, I need to buy it and get it appraised. Eek!

Thank you that’s good to know, I do remember turning it around to look at the back but primarily to look for inclusions, cracks and at the quality of the reverse of the setting...it still looked great. I thought the colour was lovely and even but I didn’t notice if it was more purple or not! I wish I’d photographed the rear too now.
I do remember thinking the stone was a gorgeous Purply blue and I know Tanzanite is supposed to be better when it’s Bluer but I can’t remeber if that was the back or not....I do love it though.
Thank you for the wholesale price guide, that’s interesting.

The jeweller is a reputable one of many years standing, although I’ve not dealt with him before.
Thank you.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I’ve been quiet for a little, life just became busy!

Thank you Tekate, it is a great colour. I’ve decided I really really do want it....but I’m going to have to hope it’s still there when we can go to the shop again. There’s a lot going on at the moment. You’re right, I need to buy it and get it appraised. Eek!

Thank you that’s good to know, I do remember turning it around to look at the back but primarily to look for inclusions, cracks and at the quality of the reverse of the setting...it still looked great. I thought the colour was lovely and even but I didn’t notice if it was more purple or not! I wish I’d photographed the rear too now.
I do remember thinking the stone was a gorgeous Purply blue and I know Tanzanite is supposed to be better when it’s Bluer but I can’t remeber if that was the back or not....I do love it though.
Thank you for the wholesale price guide, that’s interesting.

The jeweller is a reputable one of many years standing, although I’ve not dealt with him before.
Thank you.

This is where the whole deposit using credit card over the phone comes in to play. i'd be locking this baby down!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks lovely! Tanzanite is pretty soft but should be fine in a pendant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results