shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this ruby? Please help CS Experts

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
I've always wanted one, and the best burmese seem out of budget. I prefer no treatments. Thoughts on this one CS experts in terms of the color & cut (clarity of this stone looks good to me)?

Kroshka

6-29-2015_2-37-21_pm.jpg

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone? Any input or opinions appreciated.

Kroshka

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Kroska,
From a cutting point of view I seriously doubt this stone was cut by an award winning facetor as it claims! Or it may have been cut by an award winning facetor but it is definitely nowhere near an award winning standard. If you look at the meetpoints, it looks like none, if not very few of them line up properly where they should be. That is going off the meets on the crown of which I can see. This is my opinion only but hope it helps.
Jamie

S

SparkliesLuver

If it's still available, I'd ask Brad for a hand shot. Those are usually quite telling. It's not a cheap stone and he's usually willing to do that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lapidary faceted it with the aim of maximizing the rough material (since pricing is based on carat weight) whilst balancing both colour and performance. Colour wise, it is described as dark whereas top material is usually in the medium to medium dark tone range. The cutting style is quite plain, probably due to the silky clarity. What is your priority in a ruby?

For $500 more, I'd rather buy this pear which has better clarity, better saturation and is much livelier.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIGS-Certified-No-Heat-Glittering-Strong-Red-Pink-Mozambique-Ruby-1-40-ct-Pear-/121548311364?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4cd80b44

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask for a pic on the back of a hand so you get a better indication of colour. Rubies can be stop light red, red/orange, red/pink, a darker purple/red and a bunch of colours in between.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
aussiejamie - I did notice that about the meetpoints - thanks for pointing that out though and confirming what I thought I saw.

SparkliesLuver - Will try to see if I can get one. I have a couple other snaps that I will post.

Chrono - I agree the cutting did seem plain, and I figured it was cut this way to retain weight, but I still thought it was nice that it was an emerald cut since I haven't come across a lot of them. I was on the fence about the silk. From the photo it looks like even silk, and I'm wondering if it makes the stone attractive or if it is a negative overall. I do know that the stone does not have fluorescence as the best burmese do. Perhaps this affects how dark it looks too? I'm finding it a bit hard to prioritize about what should most be important but I'd like for it to have a balance of really great color and at least decent clarity. The stone you linked to is attractive and has excellent brilliance but perhaps the color is more pink than what I would prefer. I'm open shape wise.

arkieb1 - I will see what I can do about a hand pic, but I did get a couple more photos I will try to post shortly. I thought the color of this stone reminded me of cherry red.

Thanks fo far for the thoughts and feedback y'all! Appreciate more comments once I post the other pics I got, although will request a hand one.

Kroshka

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the silk looks evenly spread across the ruby. Too much silk is generally not desired but a touch of silk is a plus because it gives it an added oomph of soft velvet richness. Silkiness can sometimes be seen as haze or oil that cannot be removed, no matter how much one tries. Some love it but some don't. Price wise, too much silk affects the price negatively.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Natural daylight photos - supposedly no modifying colors, pure red - thoughts?

Chrono- what do you think about the even silk in this stone - is it a plus or a negative?

Kroshka

_31751.jpg

_31752.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks much better in these 2 pictures than the website. I think it's time to see it in person to decide. Some have found his photography close, but a few PSers could not replicate what the photos show.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really nice colour and a lot less silky/sleepy than I was expecting from the initial pic, get it and see if you like it in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diane,
It's not just you. I much prefer his old photography style. I find it difficult to evaluate colour (believe it or not) in his new photography style and found it less accurate than before.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking that the fact that it was described as 'dark red' was not a positive sign. Looks better in the other shots though. Will you be seeing it in person Kroshka?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results