shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this ring/diamond?

dummywithdiamond

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First time buyer, first time proposer here.

Can I get your take on this diamond and setting? GIA certificate attached and photos. I'm getting it for ~$16k, which per Rare Carat is a good deal.

I like the diamond a lot -- I'm mostly curious about the band and setting. What I know from my girlfriend:
- likes halo with cushion cuts
- likes thin bands
- likes the halo diamonds to be on the smaller size

I'm having trouble telling if this band is thin and/or if the halo diamonds are small-ish.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• cert.jpeg
    cert.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 21

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a reason you need D/IF? You will pay a huge premium for IF clarity and D color, and it really isn't necessary for most people (unless for cultural reasons). You won't see a difference visually between VS1+ and IF, which makes it (IMHO, of course) a waste of $$. Same with D vs. E/F color. Most people will find all of those 3 grades extremely white, and D comes with a big cost increase.

Do you have any other pics of the setting? I can't really see it very well from those pics.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS. that cushion is too deep. It's actually a bad deal for the price, because it only faces up like a 1.4 stone (not like a 1.79). So rare carat is assuming you are getting a 1.79 that looks its weight and telling you it's a good deal, which isn't true. You are paying for a 1.79 but getting a stone that looks like a 1.4.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are significantly better cushions that face up larger than the one you chose (pay attention to mm size not carat weight). These are ideal cut cushions, from one of the most highly recommended vendors on this board. I would highly recommend any of these over the one you chose.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../1.590-g-si1-cushion-diamond-ags-104100506014
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../1.510-g-vs2-cushion-diamond-ags-104097793022
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/....521-g-vs2-cushion-diamond-ags-c-104104700002

These are H&A cushions, so they have all the sparkle and fire of a round cut, but a cushion shape. I absolutely adore them.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would figure out what diamond you want first, then figure out the setting. Halo settings are pretty common, so don't worry too much about that. You'll get a higher quality setting from someone like brian gavin vs. JA, and there are lots of halo choices on their website if you like any of the stones I linked.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Victor Canera and Hannah Maytal make beautiful delicate Halos (search their names on pricescope). If I ever could have a Halo a Victor Canera Emilya would be my personal dream! He also sells diamonds and then you get 10% of of his setting. And they are hand forged.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I'll be back :)

do you know if your gf likes the H&A cut or the "crushed ice" look or the antique cushion look? Crushed ice isn't popular on pricescope from what i can tell but i do have a friend that specifically wanted that for her ring b/c she likes how glittery it is....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results