shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this mourning/wedding brooch?

lindacat

Rough_Rock
I won this on Ebay (sorry if the bidder I was up against is out there reading this!); thought it was very unique. Not much is known about it; here is what the seller listed it as:
I don't know what this is. My thoughts is that this could either be a religious piece, or some sort of mourning pin. The face is hand painted, the figure is cut out of cloth or linen. Whatever it is, it is wonderful, and amazingly well preserved, For a piece that is mid Victorian. Anyone who wishes to help illuminate this is welcome. It is about 2.5 inches high by about 2 inches wide.
Anyone have any thoughts about what this could be and what is that long stick thing in her hand???

mourning bride brooch.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's pretty and different. Obviously the stick is to keep the new husband in line.

lindacat

Rough_Rock
Loved your reply, Kismet! What really caught my attention was that it is all made from fabric and 3 dimensional - maybe even a part of a bride's wedding dress? Or maybe a mourning brooch for a bride who met with an early demise, and her dress was then used for this tribute? it is fun to speculate about it, that's for sure! I have been collecting antique brooches for years and have never seen anything close to this piece. I paid $150 for it - probably a bit high, but since it was so unique, I thought it was worth it.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful piece Lindacat. You won't see yourself comming and going when you wear that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results