shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Leon?

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
I've been eyeing this Leon for about a year now, and what I really like about it is that is does NOT have diamonds on the shank. IMO the plain shank is appealing -- especially if this ring was paired with a simple plain band (could always get a diamond one for a little more bling!).

However, I just noticed that Leon's description of it says that the shank was left plain due to budget constrictions rather than for visual effect. He makes it sound like the plain shank is a "bad" thing.

What are your thoughts? yay or nay on the plain shank?

~LC

r4134_005Ww.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking at that ring and thought the same thing when I read his description.
I think it looks amazing with a plain shank. Just emphasizes the beauty of the diamond and halo.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with you lc, that ring is exquisite. With a plain band it's very wearable.
A big YAY from me.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks very classic looking with a plain band. I love it.

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
Okay. Good, I'm not crazy! I think it's so elegant, too. Silly Leon.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, the plain band is simple, elegant goes more than well with the beautiful stones. I think his favorite rings seem to emphasize the "more is more" motto. It is not an understated ring in my opinion.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
do whatever you think is best. don't get intimidated by leon - he can speak without filter and sometimes it's not the best for the faint hearted. you're the customer so you decide what you want to do. and i think this ring looks AMAZING. if that's what you love, tell him to do exactly that... don't be deterred by his "personal preference" since you are the one wearing it.

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
If you love it I say go for it. That's all that really matters. I think a nice band with some diamonds would be nice paired with it!

I think the wording used to explain the reasoning behind the plain bad was a little sketchy :roll: I mean there are other ways of saying hey this wasn't my rec to the customer but this is the route they choose -- without saying it... Oh well, what can ya say?!

I think a section of his site dedicated to people working with a budget would actually be cool. I mean I'm not rich and I love LM's work & to own a piece created by him would be amazing! If I was able to see other options (besides the 5K + settings) that were more affordable by removing a few stones here or there would be nice. I would call it Settings on a budget or style on a budget or some funky fun way of saying although I often create expensive pieces you don't have to be a millionaire to achieve the look or to own a LM setting! I dunno maybe I am wierd lol. :ugeek:

I like that he added the star rating to give an indication of the cost but most are 3 plus stars (from what I have seen) but a more accurate pricing discription would be really nice because I don't know if 3 stars is in the 3K range or 4K range. I mean at least if there was a legend that said aprox * = $1,200-$1,900 ** = $2000 - $2,900 would help. I love browsing settings and I would love to see more of his work in the 1-2 star price range that still has some bling! If they had an interactive site that allowed you to fuss with the setting and add or remove stones in certain places & adjust the cost accordingly that would be soo cool...I dunno like options for what x halo would look like with yellow diamonds or pink saphires. I know...one can dream :saint: and that's expecting a lot but it would be fun to play around with!

Anywaysm back on topic-I don't think you can really go wrong with any of LM's creations! :love: Also, it's always hard to tell from just a pic of a ring. I mean it could look sooo stunning and totally wearable but it's so hard if you aren't good at visualizing things (like me). A hand shot would be nice!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I really like the ring with the plain shank.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I also have a plain shank halo and I love it. I think the setting is gorgeous.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Halo with a plain shank is one of my favourite looks. I love it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Another lover of the plain shank. Gypsy's ring (done by another designer) is one of my favorites on PS.

The ring you linked is not the only ring on his site featuring Leon's "personalized" commentary. He is a designer with his own ideas of what looks good, so take it for what it is -- personal opinion. He included it on his site, so he couldn't have disliked it that much!!!

My favorite Leon looks nothing like the pave encrusted designs he specializes in http://artofplatinum.com/vault/inde...&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1 I've always wondered what the story behind this ring is!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a really pretty ring and would be easy to wear day in and day out. Leon is known for his pave and thin rings so when someone
wants something other than that, I don't think he quite 'gets' it. When I wanted a spacer, and wanted to wear my ring with a
wedder, he said 'why would you want to cover up the pave'. Well, silly, because I don't want to wear just one ring. I know it's there,
I don't really care if every one else can see it.You know what you like and what you would enjoy looking at every single day.
Go for it!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually LOVE LOVE this ring! I don't love many halos, but this one I "almost" went thru a reset for my PRincess cut with this exact image in mind! however, Leon didn't give me the correct quote nor listened to what *I* wanted :rolleyes: I asked him for a requote because his first quote was outrageous IMO becuase he listed Paves ALL OVER THE MAP!!! everywhere! when I said ONLY halo around the diamond, NOT shank, gallery and every nook and cranny :sick: needless to say, he never responded back, although if the price was right, and he actually listened to what I wanted, the reset might have happend :(sad

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
D&T|1295019841|2822672 said:
I actually LOVE LOVE this ring! I don't love many halos, but this one I "almost" went thru a reset for my PRincess cut with this exact image in mind! however, Leon didn't give me the correct quote nor listened to what *I* wanted :rolleyes: I asked him for a requote because his first quote was outrageous IMO becuase he listed Paves ALL OVER THE MAP!!! everywhere! when I said ONLY halo around the diamond, NOT shank, gallery and every nook and cranny :sick: needless to say, he never responded back, although if the price was right, and he actually listened to what I wanted, the reset might have happend :(sad

Here's the exact quote I received from him, which he also prices with the pave on the band. I guess if I got really serious about it, I would just call him and give him my exact specifications. He can be a bit finicky, and if and when I decide to do something (with my 1.15 ct round diamond), I'll do just that.

We received you request for a price quote for custom made ring.
Design of the ring is assumed to be similar to catalogue sample r4134
Style: RING HALO CUSTOM
Finger size: 8 1/2.
Material - platinum.
Keystone to be supplied by the client: 1.15 ct round diamond
The total weight of small diamonds (melee) used for pave will be
approximately .2 to .4 carats priced at $1,100 per carat and will add
approximately $220 to $440 to the labor cost.
Once the ring is completed we will know the actual weight of the stones and
will multiply the actual amount we used by the price per carat. By default
we will use full cut F/VS super-ideal cut diamonds. Using lower quality
melee in order to reduce the price is not acceptable. The weight is just an
educated guess and the actual weight could exceed my estimate. I do tend to
overestimate the weight. There is absolutely no method to calculate the
weight precisely before completion of the piece. The quote is for
approximately 3/4 of the band set, leaving small space on the bottom of the
ring unset (only if you design does have pave on the shank).
It is
recommended so to allow for future sizing. Also, that area of the ring gets
hit disproportionally more. In case you want stones set all the way around
the shank we will charge extra. In contrast, wedding band always quoted
eternity style, meaning they are set all the way around the finger.

ESTIMATED TOTAL for the ring is $3,420
This amount DOES include:
- Labor
- Metal
- 0.2 carats of melee

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you're quote sound so much more reasonable than mine ;( maybe he just doesn't like to work with Princess cut stones, Mine was north of $4,500 :-o for a ring size of 3.75 so that was naturally out. I do love that setting, If I ever got a Halo reset, this would be the ONE :love:

SO Yes, LOVE LOVE LOVE the setting :love:

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I love the plain shank + halo combination. Someone has a single shared prong halo with a plain shank, and it's GORGEOUS.

Lemme see if I can dig it up.

ETA: Bah. Computer has crashed three times.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results