carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this HPD CBI Diamond?

latte_espresso

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I think I may have found the one. I spoke with Melissa and Wink from HPD and they have already placed the diamond on hold for me. They're going to send the rock to New York where I would be able to examine it in person. My only concern is that the color is a J, (i was ideally aiming for a H+, but this was only due to wanting something better on paper).

Unfortunately, I had to temporarily increase my budget, but I think it is ok. Any thoughts?

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD7597

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I think I may have found the one. I spoke with Melissa and Wink from HPD and they have already placed the diamond on hold for me. They're going to send the rock to New York where I would be able to examine it in person. My only concern is that the color is a J, (i was ideally aiming for a H+, but this was only due to wanting something better on paper).

Unfortunately, I had to temporarily increase my budget, but I think it is ok. Any thoughts?

The cut will certainly be amazing but definitely compare the color against others to see iwhat your tolerance is. Most people start to see color in I color diamonds...whether it bothers them or not is a different story. I personally wouldn't go lower than an H (maybe a high I) in a larger stone for an ering bc but that's just me bc the tint definitely bothers me (even in super ideal cut stones).

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you plan to set the stone?

If it will be in a bezel setting, you wouldn't see so much of the stone from the side and any tint would therefore be less visible day-to-day (because the excellent light return out of the top of the diamond will dominate the top view and hide any tint, and you wouldn't be able to see the side view to look through the stone) :)

Colour is just personal preference, though - nothing wrong with it, so don't be afraid of it!

The added bonus of working with HPD (as a PS-recommended vendor) is that they have excellent return and upgrade policies, so if it's not for you, it will be no hassle to return :) (although check with @Wink with regards to whether he can provide insurance for the return trip / whether he can arrange it all from his end!)

And if in time you think you would like to upgrade, you will have 100% of the purchase price to credit against a new stone!

Win-Win, I would say :))

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

It's gorgeous and being an Infinity, it's going to face up extremely crisp and white, but if you're worried, ask Wink or Melissa to talk you through the diamond and I'm sure that will give you confidence.

See what you think in person but I'd like to bet you'll be blown away!:love:

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of H, I, J, and K. You can probably tell which one is which, right? They are all CBI diamonds, except one, which has equally beautiful performance as the CBI diamonds to my eyes. If I want a colorless or near colorless stone, I will definitely have to go to H or higher. My point is for the stones that I looked at, I can definitely see color in the I, J, and K from the side view. There is no escaping that.

However face up, I don't see much color difference between them, as I am pretty much blinded by all the colors throw at me. That is why I decide to go with the K.

I am picking up my diamond in K this weekend, finger crossed. I decided to go with HPD/CBI because I can always upgrade in color or size, and always guaranteed one of the best cut diamond. =)2 diamond_color_comparison.JPG

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of H, I, J, and K. You can probably tell which one is which, right? They are all CBI diamonds, except one, which has equally beautiful performance as the CBI diamonds to my eyes. If I want a colorless or near colorless stone, I will definitely have to go to H or higher. My point is for the stones that I looked at, I can definitely see color in the I, J, and K from the side view. There is no escaping that.

However face up, I don't see much color difference between them, as I am pretty much blinded by all the colors throw at me. That is why I decide to go with the K.

I am picking up my diamond in K this weekend, finger crossed. I decided to go with HPD/CBI because I can always upgrade in color or size, and always guaranteed one of the best cut diamond. =)2 diamond_color_comparison.JPG
Great picture, thank you :))

Which stone isn't CBI? The left-hand one?

If so, which CBI stone is which colour? Is it J, I, H, K from left to right of the right-hand four stones??

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color is a very personal thing, some people have more color sensitivity than others, some see beauty in all colors (I have 5 CBI diamonds, four of them are F, while one is a Q, yes Q as in Quebec).

If you are worried about the J, I would ask @Wink to send an H, an I, and your J to N.Y..
Do not ask your jeweler to identify which is which. View them under many lighting conditions, under overhead jeweler's lights, they will all like like fireballs. View under natural light at a North facing window, view from the top as well from the side, view in a white slotted tray. Pick your favorite and then have your jeweler reveal what the specs of your choice are.

Good luck, and I hope that you join the CBI family.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, @OoohShiny, I am surprised by your guess. I was pretty certain before seeing your guess, but a little unsure now. I think from left to right: H J J I K.

But in person there is no doubt which the H is. H was very colorless (relative to the rest). There is a J which I thought was close to the I.

I don't remember which one is the non-CBI. It is more than 1 months ago. If my memory serves me right, it is a J that is less than 2 ct, high clarity, but priced about the same as the 2.02 K that I bought. I think that is a good point maybe I should have brought out in another thread. That high performance non-CBI diamond is not cheap either, for good reasons and justified.

Melissa sent in a J and K, and the rest of the diamonds from Green Lake Jewelry. A shout out to Melissa and manager Brant, who are great!

green_lake_diamond_comparsion.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results