shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond? Calling all PS experts :-)

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers,

I am trying to narrow in on my upgrade diamond, I was very close but Blue Nile confirmed it wasn't eye clean it was beautiful though.

I have a new stone that I am looking to purchase. My budget is 10K-11K. I prefer excellent cut, 1.5 carat, no lower than H color and VS2 clarity and above. SPARKLE is top priority.

I just need a second opinion before I pull the trigger, its a massive purchase. I have been researching quiet a bit, this rock has Tolkowsky ideal diamond proportions (crown angle: 34.5 /pavilion 40.8). The symmetry of the arrows looks pretty good as well.

Does anyone see any issues or concerns with this pick?

Appreciate everyone's help.

Here is the link: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD14539010

1.53 carats/ VVS2/ H-color/Medium Fluorescence
Depth: 62.2
Table: 56%

1603897133253.png 1603897237000.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TBH, the BN stone looks a little leaky in the center. You'll notice it in darker light. To get better edge to edge brightness, I would go for either of these two.

And, these have a much better upgrade program.

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
TBH, the BN stone looks a little leaky in the center. You'll notice it in darker light. To get better edge to edge brightness, I would go for either of these two.

And, these have a much better upgrade program.

Thanks - unfortunately I have to stick to Blue Nile for my upgrade.

What should I look for avoid a leaky center? Should all the arrows be darker like the example below?

I'm really wanting to stick to the 1.5 range in the 11K price range, so I might have to sacrifice a bit...
1603904176009.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks - unfortunately I have to stick to Blue Nile for my upgrade.

What should I look for avoid a leaky center? Should all the arrows be darker like the example below?
1603904176009.png

It's the dark stuff close to the center between the arrows. And there is probably leakage at the edges too, but I cannot easily tell with this picture. You need an ASET. You may not notice or mind it. Not everyone does. But I do suggest you get an ASET viewer to examine the stone when it does arrive to look for leakiness. You still have a return period for the stone, and with BN you may have to go through a few to find one that is least leaky. I know. I've done it. And still ended up with one with enough leakage, which I noticed after wearing a few years, to make me trade the whole thing in. But again, not everyone is as anal as me. I was just mentioning just in case you are. But here's the deal. If you are getting this as an upgrade, that means your original was around $5K-$6K. Are you sure you don't just want to start over with a stone that has minimal leakage, going with super ideals? You could sell your current stone, put it into a pendant or a stud. Anyway, you know yourself best, and what would bother you over time.

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
It's the dark stuff close to the center between the arrows. And there is probably leakage at the edges too, but I cannot easily tell with this picture. You need an ASET. You may not notice or mind it. Not everyone does. But I do suggest you get an ASET viewer to examine the stone when it does arrive to look for leakiness. You still have a return period for the stone, and with BN you may have to go through a few to find one that is least leaky. I know. I've done it. And still ended up with one with enough leakage, which I noticed after wearing a few years, to make me trade the whole thing in. But again, not everyone is as anal as me. I was just mentioning just in case you are. But here's the deal. If you are getting this as an upgrade, that means your original was around $5K-$6K. Are you sure you don't just want to start over with a stone that has minimal leakage, going with super ideals? You could sell your current stone, put it into a pendant or a stud. Anyway, you know yourself best, and what would bother you over time.

Thanks for all the information! My original was $4300 but my budget is $11K...I'm willing to forgo a tiny bit of sparkle for the size, super ideal would mean I would need to go smaller, and my current 0.9 carat is pretty good, although its an 5.0 on the HCA scale.

I need to get better at determining light leakage on the Blue Nile videos...

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any other thoughts on this diamond...not sure how bad the leakage is, and if I might be able to find an alternative in the similar price zone...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's the dark stuff close to the center between the arrows.
Are you talking about this area, LLJsmom?

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 23.11.01.png

My understanding is that is obstruction from the camera rather than leakage - you would see it as the blue in an ASETscope image.

I've been looking but I can't find any now (typical :roll: lol) but I've seen ACAs and CBIs with ASET images on the grading reports with blue in those areas.

The HCA score of 1.2 shows the crown and pavilion angles work together so I don't think there would be any issues with this stone. It looks very nice to me!

@Karl_K or @tyty333 might be able/willing to confirm (or deny :???: :lol: ) my thinking, so perhaps wait for them or another pro to chime in!

Personally, I'd be happy with it :) (although I admit that rounds are not a strong suit for me... lol)

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock

My understanding is that is obstruction from the camera rather than leakage - you would see it as the blue in an ASETscope image.

I've been looking but I can't find any now (typical :roll: lol) but I've seen ACAs and CBIs with ASET images on the grading reports with blue in those areas.

The HCA score of 1.2 shows the crown and pavilion angles work together so I don't think there would be any issues with this stone. It looks very nice to me!

@Karl_K or @tyty333 might be able/willing to confirm (or deny :???: :lol: ) my thinking, so perhaps wait for them or another pro to chime in!

Personally, I'd be happy with it :) (although I admit that rounds are not a strong suit for me... lol)

Thanks for your thoughts! I am thinking this will be perfect for me in real life. I can always return it if underwhelms. I would like to avoid that though. I've looked at hundreds of diamonds and I'm almost ready to purchase.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah could be... for sure examine with ASET before committing, at least I would.

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
@Karl_K or @tyty333 your thoughts would be immensely appreciated here! I am looking for a 85 - 90 out of 100 here, and since Blue Nile doesn't have an ASET for this diamond I'm stuck with visual inspection and returning if I'm not 100% happy which I prefer not to do!

All the other numbers look good:

Depth62.2%
Table56%
Crown Angle34.5°
Crown Height15.0%
Pavilion Angle40.8°
Pavilion Depth43.0%
Star Length55%
Lower Half80%
GirdleMedium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
CuletNone

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock

@LLJsmom - so I bought this stone and it was SOOOOO leaky and so I am sending it back. I ended up buying an ideal scope to analyze it. It had less sparkle than my pre-upgrade 5.2 HCA stone! I thought I would update you :) Wish me luck in my journey for a new stone...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom - so I bought this stone and it was SOOOOO leaky and so I am sending it back. I ended up buying an ideal scope to analyze it. It had less sparkle than my pre-upgrade 5.2 HCA stone! I thought I would update you :) Wish me luck in my journey for a new stone...

Hi! Thank goodness returns are available. Sometimes you have to see it IRL to be able to tell. I am wishing you tons and tons of luck on your search. I want you to find a gorgeous beautiful diamond that will make your heart sing.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
@yyc_la_signa from the photo for your avatar it looks like you got your upgrade - I LOVE your set! Would love to see a thread for both rings including hand shots... if you have posted somewhere already, could you please point me to it? thanks!

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
@yyc_la_signa from the photo for your avatar it looks like you got your upgrade - I LOVE your set! Would love to see a thread for both rings including hand shots... if you have posted somewhere already, could you please point me to it? thanks!

Hi I was meaning to post some more photos!!! But they just didn’t do the rock justice. I got tired of looking for the perfect stone especially as the first one I ordered was dull.

I ended up getting an Blue Nile Astor in I color VS2. Perfect crown/pavilion. And I LOVE it.

I had the ring set by David Klass and love it. Let me know what you think!!
@e2the3rd - I will post some glamour shots next time I visit David Klass, they said they would take some.

31F65D7D-759A-4C17-9C91-F5D90A9E7539.jpeg

Attachments

• 6D99442C-6408-472C-BC4A-0BE5E352821F.jpeg
    6D99442C-6408-472C-BC4A-0BE5E352821F.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 4C60BDE2-2818-4DCF-B5A9-F296A10CF424.jpeg
    4C60BDE2-2818-4DCF-B5A9-F296A10CF424.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 14
  • B4261C78-0A9E-4160-8BC4-18E8935AEFFE.jpeg
    B4261C78-0A9E-4160-8BC4-18E8935AEFFE.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 14

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock

This is why the HCA is an exclusion tool, not a selection tool! I’m so glad you ended up finding a stone you love :) I really like the solitaire. It’s so elegant and timeless

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results