shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Cushion Cut from Old World Diamonds!

gracieloufreebush

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I was browsing Old World Diamonds and found a cushion cut I was interested in. I contacted Adam and he sent me a video and some of this thoughts on the stone. The only thing I was really worried about is the color. It is an EGL "I" color but I know that means its farther down in color.

This is what Adam wrote to me:
"For an EGL "I" color it faces up very nice. The diamond is a little shallow (56.3% depth) but that also gives it a much larger spread. The stone looks like 1.50 carats from the top and still performs well. We feel it's always best to see these stones in person and that's why we ship overnight for free and have a 10-day examination period with 100% money back policy. We don't ASET stones, sorry."

And here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsDpZbl_Itg&feature=em-share_video_user

Any thoughts? It is for an engagement ring. I really like the spread of the diamond but again, the color might be an issue. Thinking about ordering it and checking it out. Also wish I could get an ASET. hmmm

Specs:
Carat Weight: 1.22
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Measure: 6.93*6.61*3.72
Cert: N/A
Depth: 56.3
Table: 55
Polish: Very Good
Symetry: Good
Girdle: m
Flourescence: None
Culet: Medium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
From the information there I would order it and evaluate it in person.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gracieloufreebush|1354057834|3316830 said:
Hello!

I was browsing Old World Diamonds and found a cushion cut I was interested in. I contacted Adam and he sent me a video and some of this thoughts on the stone. The only thing I was really worried about is the color. It is an EGL "I" color but I know that means its farther down in color.

This is what Adam wrote to me:
"For an EGL "I" color it faces up very nice. The diamond is a little shallow (56.3% depth) but that also gives it a much larger spread. The stone looks like 1.50 carats from the top and still performs well. We feel it's always best to see these stones in person and that's why we ship overnight for free and have a 10-day examination period with 100% money back policy. We don't ASET stones, sorry."

And here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsDpZbl_Itg&feature=em-share_video_user

Any thoughts? It is for an engagement ring. I really like the spread of the diamond but again, the color might be an issue. Thinking about ordering it and checking it out. Also wish I could get an ASET. hmmm

Specs:
Carat Weight: 1.22
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Measure: 6.93*6.61*3.72
Cert: N/A
Depth: 56.3
Table: 55
Polish: Very Good
Symetry: Good
Girdle: m
Flourescence: None
Culet: Medium

This is an excellent idea - in fact, it's the only way to move forward with complete confidence.

ASET photos, like outputs from other tools, are open to interpretation. These old cuts weren't cut to perform well by metrics ASET rewards - in fact, cutters worked to create stones that excelled in entirely different types of lights (the side-lighting commonly used then vs. the overhead lights we have everywhere now) - so in these cases ASET photos are more likely to result in misinterpretation.

Seeing the stone in-person will tell you far more about how *you* feel about the stone than an ASET pic could, and that's what matters.

gracieloufreebush

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1354058843|3316843 said:
This is an excellent idea - in fact, it's the only way to move forward with complete confidence.

ASET photos, like outputs from other tools, are open to interpretation. These old cuts weren't cut to perform well by metrics ASET rewards - in fact, cutters worked to create stones that excelled in entirely different types of lights (the side-lighting commonly used then vs. the overhead lights we have everywhere now) - so in these cases ASET photos are more likely to result in misinterpretation.

Seeing the stone in-person will tell you far more about how *you* feel about the stone than an ASET pic could, and that's what matters.

Hmm, very interesting- I didn't know that. My boyfriend and I have found several cushions we've liked over the months but have never actually ordered one, so I guess I'm just nervous for some reason!

Do shallow depths generally negatively affect light performance for cushions?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gracieloufreebush|1354059233|3316850 said:
Yssie|1354058843|3316843 said:

Hmm, very interesting- I didn't know that. My boyfriend and I have found several cushions we've liked over the months but have never actually ordered one, so I guess I'm just nervous for some reason!

Do shallow depths generally negatively affect light performance for cushions?

Cushions are complicated - the shallow depth by itself doesn't tell you anything one way or the other, it's not like rounds where you really can get a good idea of how the stone will look and behave just by the numbers!

Please have it shipped out, *especially* if you haven't seen an antique cushion IRL. I can't tell anything about the faceting from that video.

gracieloufreebush

Rough_Rock
Of course I would pick a type of diamond that is complicated! I've been looking at sooo many cushions over the past several months (my boyfriend kind of gave me the lead on this). Wish I could just plug in some numbers and find a perfect match! My bf thinks we should order it. But I emailed OWD and asked for a picture so I can see the faceting better (and check for inclusions) before purchasing it.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty cut

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a nice diamond and very white. In general, I try to get cushions between a depth of 63% - 69% (depending on other measurements). With that said, I have also seen beautiful cushions especially true antique cut ones that look great with depths in the 50s. I actually have 2 OMCs with depths in the 50s that are real sparklers - I call them my pancake cushions.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
It looks like a pretty stone in the video. But it is hard to see the facet pattern or to get a goid look at the stone
because the video is quite fast. It also only shows one set if lighting conditions.
Do you have any photos to post so we can see the dacets and shape better?
OWD has some very lovely old cuts. If you like it and can return it for a 100 percent refund I would get it so you can see it in person.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Are you definitely looking for a true antique cushion? You're familiar with ASET, so I'm wondering if you've been looking at modern-cut antique-looking cushions or just modern looking cushions, which can be somewhat easier to shop for with reflector images and even light performance evaluations from AGS.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Not sure about this one. Having made a large purchase through Adam myself, I trust his judgement -- but his description doesn't sound particularly flattering or excited. The video shows a fairly white stone, but the movement is too quick to see the faceting properly. As much as I could tell, it looks a bit more 'crushed ice' than antique stones normally do.

I would get this in hand to see what your eyes think. :bigsmile:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks very pretty in the video, I'd say it's worth a look.

gracieloufreebush

Rough_Rock
Charmypoo- thanks for the info from your experiences. Pancake cushions made me laugh :]

Bigdiamondtinygal- I had requested some pictures and was sent the video. I emailed again and asked for pictures so I can check out the faceting better.

milton333 - I was actually just going to go with a modern cushion but antique style - from ERD or GOG. I just randomly found this one on OWD and thought I would check it out. I am definitely worried about light performance and obviously want a great performer. I guess it would be easier to tell that in person.

justginger - I agree with what you said about his description - I was thinking the same thing. I wish he would have said that it is a great performer and beautiful diamond or something like that. Also, I thought I was seeing some of the crushed ice look too and was surprised and thought I was wrong because it is an antique. Hopefully a picture will help.

gracieloufreebush

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

Adam sent me a picture of the diamond and said:
"Please keep in mind the color is VERY hard to capture with a camera. The stone is also very, very clean, it is a VS1."

Hoping that doesn't mean it looks super yellow in person.

What do we think of the diamond shape and faceting??

owd.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Adam seems to really like shallow stones. I have noticed that many he recommends have a depth under 60%. It does give a spreadier look. I know some value that above all else. I do not.

In my experience, more often than not, such a low depth results in a somewhat indistinct look under the table -- less crispness and precision of the faceting. There is also the risk of leakage around the periphery of the table depending on the other proportions. I see some evidence in that image and videos of the indistinct appearance of the facets. For me, that is not a stone I would pursue. Your milage may vary.

True antique cusions with really nice optics are hard to find. I looked on OWD and don't see any true antiques that I could give as examples of more appealing faceting to my eyes.

I do not usually post stones from competitors when a poster has chosen a vendor, but in this case I cannot find a better cut example on the OWD site at the moment in a (for sure) true antique stone. So here are photos from some other sellers of cushions I personally consider more appealing in faceting:

Two nice examples at JBEG. The depths are in the high 70s, so under-table darkness is the possibility, though I don't see it in these pics. But notice how crisp the faceting is? How distincy it is under the table?

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/311ctw-Loose-Antique-Cushion/26057574_QxbLWt#!i=2164083323&k=m8N66rN

And one from ebay that someone better buy because it is redonk in price and a very fine example of an older OMC or cushion:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290822457790?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Oh, and at OWD, I find these cushions more appealing, just as examples. Again, note the crisp under-table faceting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgahYuYYxkc&list=UU6HIj62yZjThDHS5NSkilgA&index=5&feature=plcp

And this one has a killer cut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_N2V2yPEZg&list=UU6HIj62yZjThDHS5NSkilgA&index=15&feature=plcp

Anyways, its worth seeing the OWD for educational purposes, but I would perhaps ask him for one that look like that 1.3ct J I just pposted.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer it in the videos than in the mug shot. It looks like there a bit fisheye-like thing going on in the pic.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
The one you posted being shallow, the only thing I would ask Adam is there any windowing in the stone...if not it might be nice. I doubt if that is a fish eye but you would have to ask about that too. It does look like it is showing more color in the picture you posted.

I'm liking this one too that DD suggested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_N2V2yPEZg&list=UU6HIj62yZjThDHS5NSkilgA&index=15&feature=plcp

Sorry you missed out on the G SI2 on JA :(

gracieloufreebush

Rough_Rock
Thank you for adding your opinions on the picture; I too liked it a bit better in the video - it looked brighter.

I agree that the facets don't seem very crisp and that the diamond is showing more color than I'd like. Unfortunately, I might have to pass on this one. Sad, I loved the clarity, spread and price on this one.

Finding a great cushion with all of my requirements (and within budget!) is tough! Geesh.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Ok, here's a beaut. just listed on JA, you should get it...it faces up so large and is a chunky facet cushion brilliant:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VVS2-Good-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1538539.asp

I know it is a little over budget but a 1.82c ...7.6 x 7.5 and square like you wanted. Looks to be an high K color too.

Ok, they just changed the price from $7,000 to $6,600...go figure! I would put it on hold and get the ASET.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
ariel144|1354156627|3317965 said:
Ok, here's a beaut. just listed on JA, you should get it...it faces up so large and is a chunky facet cushion brilliant:

I know it is a little over budget but a 1.82c ...7.6 x 7.5 and square like you wanted. Looks to be an high K color too.

Ok, they just changed the price from $7,000 to $6,600...go figure! I would put it on hold and get the ASET.

This 1.82c faces up about the same as this lovely 2.34c chunky cushion but check out the price diff.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Very-Good-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1511028.asp

gracieloufreebush

Rough_Rock
Ariel - that's a great find. Unfortunately, my bf really can't push the budget anymore and we would have to pay tax since we're in NY, so that adds a couple hundred more. If we weren't planning on getting a halo setting, then we would have more money for the diamond. The setting is expensive!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1354146806|3317799 said:
Adam seems to really like shallow stones. I have noticed that many he recommends have a depth under 60%. It does give a spreadier look. I know some value that above all else. I do not.

In my experience, more often than not, such a low depth results in a somewhat indistinct look under the table -- less crispness and precision of the faceting. There is also the risk of leakage around the periphery of the table depending on the other proportions. I see some evidence in that image and videos of the indistinct appearance of the facets. For me, that is not a stone I would pursue. Your milage may vary.

True antique cusions with really nice optics are hard to find. I looked on OWD and don't see any true antiques that I could give as examples of more appealing faceting to my eyes.

I do not usually post stones from competitors when a poster has chosen a vendor, but in this case I cannot find a better cut example on the OWD site at the moment in a (for sure) true antique stone. So here are photos from some other sellers of cushions I personally consider more appealing in faceting:

Two nice examples at JBEG. The depths are in the high 70s, so under-table darkness is the possibility, though I don't see it in these pics. But notice how crisp the faceting is? How distincy it is under the table?

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/311ctw-Loose-Antique-Cushion/26057574_QxbLWt#!i=2164083323&k=m8N66rN

And one from ebay that someone better buy because it is redonk in price and a very fine example of an older OMC or cushion:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290822457790?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Oh, and at OWD, I find these cushions more appealing, just as examples. Again, note the crisp under-table faceting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgahYuYYxkc&list=UU6HIj62yZjThDHS5NSkilgA&index=5&feature=plcp

Anyways, its worth seeing the OWD for educational purposes, but I would perhaps ask him for one that look like that 1.3ct J I just pposted.

Dreamer,

The 1.31 J/VS2 is mine!! :bigsmile: I love it. Thank you for your kind words. :wavey:

OP, I can post new shots of it if it helps you any. I have them ready to post in a new SMTB thread that I haven't had time to get round to yet!!

Also, this stone wasn't listed in the directory yet. Adam had it squirreled away to make a jewellery piece out of it for the website. So it is worth asking him if he has any others that he would recommend. That is what I did when i couldn't see exactly what I wanted in his initial selection. (I was an difficult client I suppose, as I have owned an AVC in the past and wanted an antique cushion that was outstanding.) Adam more than met my brief. :bigsmile:

:wavey:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
That James Allen chunky is such a good buy! The price is real good that I can hardly believe my yes. It would be great to snatch it up .. have them ship to an address in NJ ... like a fedex facility or something. I would go for it and get a second hand halo or something. Worth it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uh oh, watch out, Charmy is going to buy that JA cishion! :lol:

Susi you have been holding out on us! You chose well my dear, that looks like a great chunky oldie. It is perfect! Can't wait to see it.

OP since you are using a halo, a couple tenths of a millimeter don't matter -- the halo is a real size equalizer. I would suggest you focus on the best cut and staying at GIA I color or better to ensure the most colorless look compared to your halo stones.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that JA cushion is great! Do you have any out of state friends or relatives you could ship it to?

gracieloufreebush

Rough_Rock
We do have other people we could ship it to. But it is a K color and I want a halo without a big color contrast.I wasn't planning on going under I in color and I think I should stick with the plan. And the budget. The setting will cost a little over $3000.

I really think its beautiful so this is driving me nuts. Just like the last JA cushion that I lost. Why is this so challenging? I'm about to hand over the reigns to my boyfriend.. Kidding. I'm too much of a perfectionist/control freak.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Old stones can face up very white - it may be worth while for you to go take a look since you are in NY and determine if it is acceptable to you. No pressure though. What is your toal budget?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1354233792|3318780 said:
Uh oh, watch out, Charmy is going to buy that JA cishion! :lol:

Haha .. no more diamonds for me unless it's a super duper honker. Although I really want to buy that cushion I showed you.

gracieloufreebush

Rough_Rock
Well looks like someone put that JA stone on hold.

Total budget is $8500.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results