shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll - Thoughts on this Bow Tie?

Poll - Does the bow tie detract from the sparkle of the stone?

• Yes - it is very noticeable

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No - you are overthinking it

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

bronco36

Rough_Rock
Hello! First time poster here so let me know if I am posting in the wrong spot. I am in the process of searching for an engagement ring and could use assistance on this stone I am interested in from a jeweler in New York. I have sent this stone to a couple friends but after finding PS I would love to get some thoughts from people who have a lot more experience looking at stones!

I am looking for an elongated oval with the following specs: 1.8-2 carats, D-H color, SI1+, LW ratio of ~1.5 with a max budget of $16k. I know my specs are pretty specific so I was thrilled to find this stone, the only thing holding me back is that I'm not sure if it is common for ovals to have a colorless bow tie to this extent?

Here is the link to the video. The stone is 1.9 ct, H, VVS2, GIA certified. Does the bow tie detract from the beauty of the stone or is this normal? It looks like a colorless bow tie and it sounds like bow ties are common in stones like this with a LW ratio of 1.5+?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 is good with bow ties.

Haha yes I was about to call @tyty333 for you.

I see it. IDK if it is considered a bow tie as I am not an expert with bow ties.
But I see what you are referring to and I don't like it.

However, if it doesn't bother you, and you love the stone what I think doesn't matter.
IDK what the chances are of getting an oval stone in the ratio you want without a bow tie but if I could (and this were me) I would want one without a bow tie.

Good luck. I hope you find the oval of your dreams!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you get a better video? That one is not really in focus.

So the definition of a bow-tie is somewhat subjective. A true bow-tie is/are dark facets through the center that mainly stay dark. However, ovals,
pears, and marquise (and some cushions) have areas of bigger, well-defined facets through the center that go dark in bright light just like well cut
rounds go dark in bright light because. These facets show up as a bow-tie shape in bright light and some people define that as a "bow-tie".

I really cant tell from your video. Can you see the stone in person? Look at it in different lighting? See what bothers you or doesnt bother you?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you can 100% avoid bow ties but whatever bow tie there is in your stone, it's pretty minimal.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think you can 100% avoid bow ties but whatever bow tie there is in your stone, it's pretty minimal.

You can avoid them.
If the phone is black and at say less than 30cm or 12 inches from the stone then this is not a bow tie diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results