shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 0.27 FIY Round Brilliant? GCAL link included.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
I’d be setting it in a 14k yellow gold solitaire to wear as a small right hand ring, just for fun.

Is there any concern with the girdle being bruted? I’m wondering if with smaller diamonds like this, it’s something they just don’t take the time to facet.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d be setting it in a 14k yellow gold solitaire to wear as a small right hand ring, just for fun.

Is there any concern with the girdle being bruted? I’m wondering if with smaller diamonds like this, it’s something they just don’t take the time to facet.

Looks pretty nice in the picture - a touch steep/deep in terms of pavilion/crown angles, getting a 2.3 on the HCA tool, but then fancy colour diamonds do tend to be cut for colour retention rather than outright light performance.

I don't think the bruted girdle is anything to worry about - in my (noob) opinion, it's just one of the ways to finish it and not necessarily any worse than another method. It might also be a way to increase colour retention - IIRC @diagem posted the other day that he sometimes cuts girdles so that they contribute to how a stone with some colour performs:
I myself consider purposely designed internal girdle reflections etc.. as types of obstructions to pure light return.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Looks pretty nice in the picture - a touch steep/deep in terms of pavilion/crown angles, getting a 2.3 on the HCA tool, but then fancy colour diamonds do tend to be cut for colour retention rather than outright light performance.

I don't think the bruted girdle is anything to worry about - in my (noob) opinion, it's just one of the ways to finish it and not necessarily any worse than another method. It might also be a way to increase colour retention - IIRC @diagem posted the other day that he sometimes cuts girdles so that they contribute to how a stone with some colour performs:

Thank you :) I thought the same thing when I put it into the HCA tool, but figured it probably wasn’t too big a deal as colored diamonds aren’t cut to perform the same as their colorless counterparts. I’ll report back once it’s set!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you :) I thought the same thing when I put it into the HCA tool, but figured it probably wasn’t too big a deal as colored diamonds aren’t cut to perform the same as their colorless counterparts. I’ll report back once it’s set!
Excellent, we will look forward to it! :))

Ada Diamonds CEO

Rough_Rock
Trade
Interesting stone! Does in change color/saturation/intensity in sunlight with the strong yellow fluorescence?

Possibly a Gemesis stone, given that it was graded back in 2016.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
Interesting stone! Does in change color/saturation/intensity in sunlight with the strong yellow fluorescence?

I don’t mean to hijack the thread but I also have a yellow diamond with strong yellow fluorescence and it was also graded in 2016. Unfortunately the vendor did not know which lab grew the stone but at the time assured that all their lab diamonds were made in the USA. (They don’t seem to make that promise anymore.) Was this particular with Gemesis stones at the time?

Ada Diamonds CEO

Rough_Rock
Trade
I don’t mean to hijack the thread but I also have a yellow diamond with strong yellow fluorescence and it was also graded in 2016. Unfortunately the vendor did not know which lab grew the stone but at the time assured that all their lab diamonds were made in the USA. (They don’t seem to make that promise anymore.) Was this particular with Gemesis stones at the time?

Assuming it was grown in the USA, it's very likely a Gemesis stone.

FWIW, Gemesis was acquired/merged with Pure Grown Diamonds in 2014, and I believe their BARS presses (largely discontinued style of HPHT presses) were shipped overseas to be used for HPHT treatment of CVD diamonds, but I'm not certain what exactly happened to Gemesis' equipment.

Does the stone actually fluoresce strongly yellow under UV light?

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
Assuming it was grown in the USA, it's very likely a Gemesis stone.

FWIW, Gemesis was acquired/merged with Pure Grown Diamonds in 2014, and I believe their BARS presses (largely discontinued style of HPHT presses) were shipped overseas to be used for HPHT treatment of CVD diamonds, but I'm not certain what exactly happened to Gemesis' equipment.

Does the stone actually fluoresce strongly yellow under UV light?

Thank you for the background. You’re such a wealth of knowledge on this niche industry. It has changed so much since I got engaged with a lab diamond 13 years ago. The discontinuation would explain why I haven’t seen any yellow diamonds with similar qualities since. I hope another company in the USA starts making similar stones as I really love this one. I forget it fluoresces then see it light up yellow when I dry my nails at a salon :) I’ll try to remember to post photos of the fluorescence when I get a chance.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Don’t know how I didn’t see this post earlier. Sorry

Yes! That actually was the one thing I did notice regarding the fluorescence. In direct sunlight during the middle of the day it looks much more yellow.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the background. You’re such a wealth of knowledge on this niche industry. It has changed so much since I got engaged with a lab diamond 13 years ago. The discontinuation would explain why I haven’t seen any yellow diamonds with similar qualities since. I hope another company in the USA starts making similar stones as I really love this one. I forget it fluoresces then see it light up yellow when I dry my nails at a salon :) I’ll try to remember to post photos of the fluorescence when I get a chance.

Oooo I never thought about that at the nail salon! I don’t have a black light yet to look at mine, but will have to get one to check it out.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

I’ve also never heard of Gemesis before, but will have to look them up! I’m fairly new to lab diamonds, but just left a chain that specializes in them and wanted to get myself a “parting gift” while I still had my staff discount :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results