shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these cushions

Andrusik

Rough_Rock
Hello

I just stumbled across the forum and looks like there is a huge amount of knowledge here. If anyone could please offer any guidance I'd be very grateful.

Looking for a 0.7-0.8 cushion to go into a platinum solitaire. Budget is around $1,400. It will be shipped to the UK so will be paying tax on this too.

I just want to get the best diamond I can for this size for my budget, and happy to go to 0.7 if it means a more brilliant diamond. I don't care about inclusions so long as it's eye clean. I've been looking mostly at James Allen - Ideal Cut, up to SI1 clarity, D-H colour (another retailer said a J would be fine as it's a solitaire without other colors to compare it too, but I've read H should be the lowest against platinum?), depth/table below 70, Polish/Symm VG/EX, girdle avoid extremely thin/thick. Am I along the right lines here?

I am getting mixed feedback from the gemologists which is making it tricky, I had my eye on this one:

One gemologist said it was great SI2 as it was eye clean with lots of brilliance and that ingrains were no issue. Another said ingrains would certainly make it appear cloudy...

I currently have this reserved - https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.70-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-7669241

The gemologist said it was completely eye clean and that the strong blue flourescenc would have no negative impact. I know I don't need E colour, but it seemed like good value at just over $1,300.

Would anyone mind offering their thoughts on this one?

Many thanks

Reactions: AV_

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Andrusik ,

So the first stone is showing a lot of leakage around the edge of the table. The donut area is leakage (bad). If the SI2 inclusions are wisp then they
probably are affecting the stone. Can you tell us the inclusions listed on the GIA report? Anyway, 2 reason that I would pass on this stone.
Capture.PNG

The second stone (that you have reserved) does not have good light return in the center of the stone. I would also pass on this stone.

Let me look around for a sec and see what I can find.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked JA and didnt see anything. I went down to "I" and didnt find any stones that had good light return.

Have you looked at BlueNile? They have a UK site. Not sure if you have to pay import taxes on these stones are not.

I used 1100 pounds as the top budget (hope this is close to your budget). The only stone that came up is this one and I really like it.
It is an "I" but it has really nice light return throughout the stone (versus grey mushy areas that dont return like well). It also is bigger
then the two you linked (look at the LxW).

At a VS2 the inclusions should not be a problem.

Here is my take on an "I" in a cushion. I would rather have an "I" with good light return then a D-H with not so good light return. Areas
that do not have good light return (mushy areas) do not reflect the light and basically show all the color in the stone. When you have
a stone such as an "I" that has facets that are acting as mirrors and are returning light really well, you dont see the color as much due
to the sparkle (the facets catching light and returning light to your eyes). Does that make sense? As a solitaire, there are no other
stones to compare the color with and see a color difference. And...in general, with an "I" most the tint you see is going to be from
the side of the stone vs the top of the stone.

Now, if you or your GF are color sensitive, an "I" might not cut it (my CYA statement :lol:).

Andrusik

Rough_Rock
Hello tyty

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

JA is a little annoying in that you have to ask them to email the GIA certificate and I didn’t ask for this stone after the first gemologist said it would be cloudy. Interestingly the one I spoke to today said it would only be a minor issue in certain light. I think the main characteristic listed was the ingraining.

All three JA people I spoke to liked the second stone a lot, but definitely see where you’re coming from on it.

I really like the stone you posted from Blue Nile. I assume the wisp, cavity and feather aren’t visible as it’s VS2. I’ve read to avoid extremely thick girdles though, is that going to impact it negatively?

Tax is actually already included in Blue Nile prices as they ship from Ireland. That means my stone budget here is more around £1,300. Would you mind having a quick look to see if this finds anything much better?

Thank you again

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I'll take a look in the higher budget range.

The reason people say to avoid E thick girdles is that they hide weight. However, this stone is bigger than the 2 you posted at the same or even
greater weight. A possibility that the two you posted are deeper than the one I posted. Hard to say without the GIA reports. So yes, normally
you would want to avoid thicker girdles because they will face-up smaller than a stone at the same weight.

I had to look fast...on my way.
Dont know how you feel about these round brilliant type cushions? They do have good light return but dont really look like a cushion besides the shape.

This is the only other one I found with a quick look. Its got a lot of contrast (dark facets ...some contrast is good, too much is well, too much)

Andrusik

Rough_Rock
Thanks again tyty.

Take your point on the girdles and that either way that stone has bigger dimensions than the JA ones I posted.

I don’t mind those ‘round brilliant’ type ones as it’s the shape I mainly like. I thought cushions were mainly crushed ice or chunky? Is the ‘Good’ cut on these something to be cautious about - I’m aware this is BN grading though as GIA don’t grade this on anything other than round.

I think I find the dark facets maybe a little too much on that last one, I think I probably like your first one the most! Anything else on the certificate to be wary of? E.g. the medium blue fluorescence?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cushions are mainly crushed iced or chunky but there are a few other types. The one from Bluenile falls into the other types.
Chunky cushions and crushed iced usually have 4 mains on the pavilion (the backside of the stone). Crushed iced stones
tend to divide the backside up even more creating more facets so what you see through the table is a bunch of tiny facets
that tend to bounce the light around (or leak the light).

I think your stone is cut more like this one with 8 mains on the back (look at the GIA report backside of the stone).

This is just an educated guess on my part since we dont have a plot to show us.

As far as the behavior of the stone the Med Blue should not be an issue. Sometimes Strong Blue Fluorescent stones can go
oily looking in the sun but its not that common. You can ask the BN Gemologist to evaluate the Fluorescence and let you know
what they think. If you and your GF go to places where they have a lot of black lights, it may glow blue. If you dont like this
then this is probably not a good stone for you. Also, have them look at the cavity and make sure its not an issue (that it is small).

Andrusik

Rough_Rock
BN gemologist was very positive about the stone. I find that BN and JA tend to be - takes a lot of probing to get anything negative.

He said in the sun that the light return may have a very slight blue hue to it. But that it would help the I colour face up whiter. He also said the cavity and other things on the certificate would be invisible. I got the impression he didn't really check though as he answered very fast and said "By definition VS2 will be eye clean"

I only just noticed on the certificate that it's a "Cushion Brilliant", I've since read these generally more desirable and rarer than Cushion Modified Brilliant.

I really like the stone so going to have a think on it. One other thought is band - on JA I was going to get a 2mm comfort band, but BN only do a 2mm regular or 2.5mm comfort. I assumed comfort is worth the extra spend but I think the diamond may look better and bigger on a 2mm band. Tricky one. Is comfort ring worth the sacrifice on size, or do most people get by fine without this style?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Andrusik,

I take anything I hear from BN and JA with a big grain of salt. Especially if its from a sales associate vs a gemologist.

You're a quick study...the cushion modified brilliants have the extra facets.

Ugh, I think a 2.5mm is really too wide for this stone. I would go with a 2mm band. If she has any problems with comfort a local jeweler can soften
up the shank. I do think most people get by fine with non-comfort shanks, however, some people are very sensitive in the finger area and cant
deal with it. Hard to know how your GF is. Does she currently wear rings? She may already have non-comfort fit shanks...or not.

You can play with the shank size difference on this link. 2.5 makes the stone look smaller IMO.

Andrusik

Rough_Rock
I did ask for the gemologist, but I’ve learned that whilst they don’t tend to push the sale they are very positive on whatever they inspect! I’ll probably ask one more just for another ‘opinion’ although I think I’m good to go with it.

I've read that these ASET or idealscope images are useful too, but apparently BN won’t supply those.

I had actually looked at DiamondDB, very handy for comparing sizes. She wears some rings, no idea if they’re comfort fit. I don’t like the 2.5mm either. Is it easier to make a 2mm more comfortable or make a 2.5mm comfort fit thinner? I suppose I may as well spend less on the 2mm and then spend making it softer if needed. I need to completely guess ring size, so I’m probably going to need it resized anyway, so could get both jobs done at once if needed.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Andrusik

Rough_Rock
Quick question - when I posted this thread I also submitted requests on a couple of diamond websites where they have ‘experts’ who search for a diamond and assume get a referral fee from BN/JA etc...

They recommended some I weren’t keen on and when I asked them for their thoughts on the BN one I bought they said it was a nicely cut diamond but did have a bit of a bow tie (especially when turned to the side).

I hadn’t even heard of this bow tie thing until now, so just did a little reading on it. I’ve closely looked at the 360 video a few times and I can definitely see some darker facets as I turn but I don’t think I see a bow tie shape.

Would anyone mind offering a second opinion? I’ve read some advice that says if they are minor then they are actually evidence of a good cut and add to the beauty. I don’t think it’s there though!?

A

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think tyty did an awesome job of helping you find a lovely stone! I looked at the video and all I see is a pretty pattern of contrast, nothing that looks off-putting at all. Please share some photos with us when it arrives.

Andrusik

Rough_Rock
Oh I 100% agree, I love the stone tyty found. I just wondered if I wasn't seeing something. I think sometimes these services are overly critical of stones they haven't personally found.

Will definitely post some pictures up once it's on my partner's finger. :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results