shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Small eBay Pad?

mdi

Shiny_Rock
Should I take a chance on this guy? I've negotiated it down a bit with the seller. The corresponding video makes it look reasonably well-cut. It is 0.42 carats.

Also, what's the legitimacy of a GIA brief like this one that has been supposedly done by a GIA alumnus?
Screenshot_20190628-231557.jpg Screenshot_20190628-231906.jpg

mdi

Shiny_Rock
Also, forgot to mention that the seller has 100% feedback on eBay.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to give you my gut reaction b/c I'm not well versed in sapphires....from the photo the color looks like it may be brownish IRL, the cutting looks off, and the way the 'certificate' rips off the GIA logo looks sketchy. I see red flags. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be by soon with advice.

mdi

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to give you my gut reaction b/c I'm not well versed in sapphires....from the photo the color looks like it may be brownish IRL, the cutting looks off, and the way the 'certificate' rips off the GIA logo looks sketchy. I see red flags. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be by soon with advice.

Nah, that's what I needed to hear! Sometimes eBay is super tempting LOL.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks super sketchy and definitely not like a true pad at all.

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
I would pass on that one, unless YOU love the colour? To me, the colour is meh (a little muddy, brown not peachy) and I can’t seem to un-see that wonky horizontal facet right in the middle (I’m a bit OCD though).

Have a look at these blog posts on pads from a really good Etsy vendor:
https://www.cecileraleydesigns.com/blogs/cecile-raley-designs/padparadscha-sapphire-what-s-the-story

https://www.cecileraleydesigns.com/...signs/padparadscha-lab-certification-roulette

She has quite a few photos and also commentary on the labs. Personally I don’t think your candidate comes close to any of the following colours (snapshot from the first blog post), so please don’t pay an inflated price for it if you do love it :))
523B071D-30FA-47E3-B543-447AB42A782E.jpeg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Reactions: mdi

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is not a “GIA” report as you think it is. It will be some Indian / Asian one specifically designed to “look” like GIA. The lab label says “GGTL”, and the GIA does not accredit other labs. They are inferring a GIA association, I consider that a deception.
And only AGL does “brief reports like plastic cards”. Again they are using a reputable labs report format to infer legitimacy.
Accordingly, the gem could be synthetic or highly treated. 100% feedback means little, unless you were to spend another $75 plus to get a proper lab report, you’d never be the wiser and that’s the premise on which these sellers operate.
If it’s like $100 or less, take a risk if you like, anymore and I’d suggest sticking with reputable vendors with reputable lab reports.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Brown and no sparkle, sorry. Wouldn't look nice when set as well.

mdi

Shiny_Rock
This is why I love this group...everybody smacks some sense into me when I want to go down the eBay rabbit hole!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is why I love this group...everybody smacks some sense into me when I want to go down the eBay rabbit hole!
I am an eBay addict and there are great buying opportunities to be had except that the vast majority of loose gems sold on eBay are not “gems” as one might expect.
Don’t be disheartened, keep on searching.

mdi

Shiny_Rock
I am an eBay addict and there are great buying opportunities to be had except that the vast majority of loose gems sold on eBay are not “gems” as one might expect.
Don’t be disheartened, keep on searching.

So true! I wear my $9 Taxco Sterling earrings all the time! Love a good eBay find. :)

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
View attachment 699443 View attachment 699442
I would pass on that one, unless YOU love the colour? To me, the colour is meh (a little muddy, brown not peachy) and I can’t seem to un-see that wonky horizontal facet right in the middle (I’m a bit OCD though).

Have a look at these blog posts on pads from a really good Etsy vendor:
https://www.cecileraleydesigns.com/blogs/cecile-raley-designs/padparadscha-sapphire-what-s-the-story

https://www.cecileraleydesigns.com/...signs/padparadscha-lab-certification-roulette

She has quite a few photos and also commentary on the labs. Personally I don’t think your candidate comes close to any of the following colours (snapshot from the first blog post), so please don’t pay an inflated price for it if you do love it :))
523B071D-30FA-47E3-B543-447AB42A782E.jpeg

The image in the far right once set. =)2 I wouldn’t hesitate to contact her to find the perfect one for you. I’m having image issues, it’s my profile picture

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eBay is probably the worst place to buy padparadcha sapphires. While they do have some great deals, and they had a million more great deals about ten years ago, not so much now. I know, because I’m always looking too.;)2

Last thing I bought on eBay was in 2017.

Reactions: mdi

mdi

Shiny_Rock
eBay is probably the worst place to buy padparadcha sapphires. While they do have some great deals, and they had a million more great deals about ten years ago, not so much now. I know, because I’m always looking too.;)2

Last thing I bought on eBay was in 2017.

I've definitely found much better vintage & antique jewelry than loose stones for sure. Got a cool Belais pocket knife with a loop for a necklace chain tonight for $10 haha

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results