shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on setting a real diamond in an asha mounting?

jules.k

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

My fiance and I have been looking at engagement rings, and we're on a budget. Basically we want to put as much as we can towards the center diamond while still having a beautiful setting. I love pave settings and would prefer platinum or palladium, but most of the ones that have caught my eye are at least $1500 in those materials. I really like the two settings linked below on ashadiamonds.com, and I'm thinking I could order one and just have the center reset after it arrives. The site also has an upgrade option to have real diamonds forming the pave.

The two rings:

1) Split shank - $674 for palladium with 6.5mm asha center, $964 if I upgrade the pave to real diamonds

http://www.ashadiamonds.com/product...a-diamond-double-prong-engagement-ring-p-1137

2) Double prong setting - $715 for palladium with 6.5mm asha center and real diamond pave

http://www.ashadiamonds.com/product.../split-shank-round-asha-engagement-ring-p-641

Mainly I'm wondering, do you think having a real diamond center would make the rest of the ring look cheap? Would I be wasting my money paying for an asha stone I don't plan to use, which the website would charge about $250 for on its own? (Although I could have it reset into a plain band to wear on vacations and such).

And lastly, has anyone ever seen any rings from this site, and what is their quality like? I've looked through many other reputable sites already - bluenile, whiteflash, jamesallen, goodoldgold - and basically haven't found anything I love in my price range. I love the look of these rings, but I'm weary of the quality and am afraid they would look cheap. Advice??

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
What is your budget?

jules.k

Rough_Rock
The original goal was $5,000 for the ring, slowly being pushed up to $5,500. Ideally I want a 0.90-1ct diamond, definitely ideal cut, preferably H&A, VS2 or eye clean SI1, and a color of I or higher.

I'm definitely open to suggestions about other settings, and ones closer to the double prong would be best. I hadn't really been looking at split shanks, but I liked that one. There are many settings that I really like on the other sites, but $1500 was the least expensive... most of my favorites were $1800-$2000. We would like to stay near or under $1000 for the setting.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I hate to have a bad memory! Grrrrr!

I see a lady here with a split shank ring who was simply gorgeous! I just can't remember her nickname.... I'm sorry!

I other way.... those setting are beautiful and if you upgrade for diamond there no problem. I often see setting from this vendor and I could say it's really beautiful job!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome julesk! I think your plan to put most of the $ into the stone is a good one. Have you thought about a simple, inexpensive setting now that could be upgraded later?

Also, we agree not to discuss simulants on PS when we sign up. I fear the links you posted, or worse yet this thread could be pulled and then we won't be able to help you at all!

Good luck and congratulations. :)

jules.k

Rough_Rock
Ooo I hope I'm not crossing the line here! We probably would have all the sidestones upgraded, so it's unlikely there would actually be asha on the ring. A big part of my concern was just the vendor though. Since they mainly do sims, I was worried that maybe their mountings (even with real diamonds) would look cheap. But I'm a huge fan of real diamonds, and I'm so excited to finally be looking at actually getting a beautiful stone!!

We did think about starting with a very simple setting, but I like the sentimental idea of keeping the same ring over time. Although the more I browse this site and see how everyone's beautiful rings seem to become even more beautiful over time, the more I realize how hard it might be for me to stay with the same thing! At least for now though, I still like the idea of one ring.

And I thought committing to the guy was supposed to be the hard part, but that was a cinch compared to settling on a single ring! (Lucky for him I guess ;-)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I really like Lauren's idea. If you can see your way clear to add another ~$500 to your budget, you will have your pick of some beautiful settings. Good luck in your search :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaurenThePartier said:

Those are some great options! Also wanted to mention that Eternity Diamonds has "Try it before you buy it" where you tell
them which rings you like and they send you a SS with CZs (or something in it) version. That way you can try them on and see which
setting you like best.

Check out this thread...
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...post-2738558?hilit=eternity diamonds#p2738558

jules.k

Rough_Rock
Wow! This is exactly what I needed! I've been lurking around here for a while, and I can't believe I never came across that site before. I've been having trouble because I've only been able to try on rings in mall jewelry stores, and the settings always seemed quite disappointing compared to the ones I've seen on here. I was just trying to get an idea of styles, and even that was hard to do. Some of those settings are really beautiful, and the prices seem great. I'm wondering why they're able to offer platinum settings for less than places like bluenile and whiteflash, which I thought already had some of the best prices. Maybe I was wrong about that?

Anyway I was hesitant to even write a post because I've read so many threads on here already that I wasn't sure there would be much advice left, but this helps a ton! The way my fiance and I decided to do this so that we still have a cute little surprise story is that I'm going to narrow the list down to a few of my favorite settings, and then he'll pick the final one and the stone on his own. I'll definitely be sending him in your direction for help with stone selection:)

Thanks so much!

jules.k

Rough_Rock
That split shank is very beautiful. I can't believe I'm even considering a split shank because I was so determined to get a ring that would sit flush with a wedding band, but it really caught my eye. I just ordered 3 replica rings, and I can't wait to get them. This is so much fun!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Do keep us posted on what you choose. To the folks who have shopped Eternity, do they offer bands that are curved and would sit flush with this stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results