shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts On Recently Purchased Tranny?

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, all! So, I saw this on Erica's IG and thought it looked good and had it sent to me.

https://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug....ransitional-Cut-Diamond---GIA-M-VS2/i-Mh6zKwz

I feel pretty happy with it and still can't believe that it got graded an M. I was hoping to get any observations good or bad since you guys are the experts. I wish I could give you a hand shot, but I'm technologically deficient. Maybe my hubby could help me with that later if anyone wants to see it.

Thoughts?

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Either no news is good news, or maybe if you don't have anything nice to say...

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
probably people haven't seen your thread yet. i'm no expert but it looks very pretty and bright to me, congrats!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's really pretty! Is there something you're not loving about it?

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I guess I see multiple postings on other threads and just figure mine keeps getting missed or there really isn't anything to say.

I really like it, but I suppose I was just looking for reassurance that it was a good pick as far as transitional cuts go and that there wasn't anything better out there that I was missing or something is missing the mark in this stone. I've looked at several other sites (JBG, Lang, OWD, and the Parks stones from LT) for some time now, and I was having trouble finding anything in my budget that was large enough for my big finger that also looked like a good performer. OWD doesn't have many pictures, and while I know they would gladly take pictures, sometimes I just want to look before inquiring and starting a big back and forth.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I guess I see multiple postings on other threads and just figure mine keeps getting missed or there really isn't anything to say.

I really like it, but I suppose I was just looking for reassurance that it was a good pick as far as transitional cuts go and that there wasn't anything better out there that I was missing or something is missing the mark in this stone. I've looked at several other sites (JBG, Lang, OWD, and the Parks stones from LT) for some time now, and I was having trouble finding anything in my budget that was large enough for my big finger that also looked like a good performer. OWD doesn't have many pictures, and while I know they would gladly take pictures, sometimes I just want to look before inquiring and starting a big back and forth.

Ah, I see- two things really, I think there's more feedback given if there's a thread started before you make a purchase. Also, when shopping for stones like this- as you have found there just aren't a ton out there, so what you've seen from the usual vendors is probably what's out there anyway. I think most people probably look at the thread and think...oh! she bought that pretty tranny from Erica! awesome! and move along.

Yeah, OWD is a different kind of experience which I think some people either love or don't. Most of their stock isn't online, so you have to write or call and ask for what you want. The good news is that Adam is very easy going and no pressure, so if you aren't thrilled with what he has to offer, it's no big deal.

If you don't love LOVE it, then you should send it back.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel that older cuts need to be viewed in person Bc they each have their own unique personality.

If you were asking about the stone but hadn't seen it yet, I would recommend you take the opportunity to see it in person.

Since you have it in person and it is pleasing to your eyes, then that should be sufficient.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Again, thank you for the replies. I purchased fairly quickly because I didn't want it to get away since it seemed to check all the right boxes. It is still within the return period, which is why I was still asking for opinions. Mostly what I want to know is do people agree that it is transitional enough, or does it look too close to MRB?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, thank you for the replies. I purchased fairly quickly because I didn't want it to get away since it seemed to check all the right boxes. It is still within the return period, which is why I was still asking for opinions. Mostly what I want to know is do people agree that it is transitional enough, or does it look too close to MRB?

looks much chunkier than a RB

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am no expert, but I think it is a very pretty stone and looks great in the videos. Is this the stone from her IG a few days ago?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks really pretty and bright and of course, it’s a nice size :mrgreen2: it’s a classic fat arrowed tranny! Erica has a good eye for nice stones so you’re in safe hands. Can’t believe it’s an M tho - looks way whiter than that. Do you love the faceting? How are you going to set it?

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It is the same stone from IG and the newest Sneak Peek. Like I said, I moved fast because too many others have gotten away thanks to my indecision.

Almost two years ago, I called in an ACA, and while it was beautiful there was just something about it that wasn't ringing my bells with the faceting, not to mention that for the price I wasn't able to get a larger stone. I decided that what I really wanted was sparkly but chunky, and this seems to be the best of both worlds. I didn't think it looked like the MRB either, but I know that others are better able to point things out when not wrapped up in the newness of something.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox I have had a hard time taking it off my finger even though it's just in the stone holder, so I think it's safe to say I'm pretty much in love. I'm thinking of borrowing this head because I like the soft square look of it plus the protection: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-54ct-oec-french-cut-ring.227756/ and putting it on a band like this: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...r-milgrain-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49486

I'll need to see CADs though too see if they would look right together.

memorystation

Rough_Rock
It all depends on your personal preference. From OEC-Tranny-RB, some prefer the left wing and others fall for the right. I think the faceting is a little splintery or too close to RB to my taste.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think they will work well together. It will be a beautiful ring, congrats!

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@memorystation It's definitely not as chunky as an OEC but also definitely not as splintery as the MRB I had in my possession before. I guess I'm just not as well versed in where the line is between transitional vs. MRB.

memorystation

Rough_Rock
@memorystation It's definitely not as chunky as an OEC but also definitely not as splintery as the MRB I had in my possession before. I guess I'm just not as well versed in where the line is between transitional vs. MRB.

I absolutely agree. The cut is in between the two ends. So you really have to ask yourself: is this the perfect faceting/pattern you like or will it make you happy for a very long time? Only you know the answer:)

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's very nice! At first I didn't open the thread b/c I interpreted "tranny" as either an auto transmission or something on Ru Paul's website. Sorry.=)2

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@rodentman :D I know even less about either of those two than I do about this diamond!

Q

Queenie60

It's a beautiful stone - Erica has a good eye. However you need to touch and feel it to determine if it's the one for you!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it is really beautiful! I really don't know a thing about transitionals but from someone just looking at the beauty...it's gorgeous! And an M!! Does it look good in all lighting once you have it home? That would be the one thing I would really make sure you are confident with.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the pictures and videos it looks like a beautiful diamond. Old cuts are on a spectrum but I like that it seems to have very good light return and very nice faceting.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the replies. When I wear it up against my F-G color IDJ 5 stone you can see some color, but on it's own I would never in a million years think it's an M. It actually is lighter than an L that I looked at from Erica previously. Even at its most tinted in super low light and surrounded by my yellow-beige walls it doesn't bother me. Funny because the reason i sent the L back was because I thought the color bothered me. I told Erica that I have always regretted sending that stone back, which told me that I obviously wasn't as bothered by the color as I thought. And now I have an M that I think looks white! Interesting how we can be conditioned to think color is bad and then change our minds when we really see it.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s a beautiful Transitional. It is an attractive color that looks way lighter, from the top and the side, than an M and the video show a very lively stone. I think it’s a great find. Enjoy!

fellys

Rough_Rock
Premium
I’m no expert either but I saw that stone from Erica’s IG and it’s really a pretty one. And an M?! Do you see any tint from the side at all?

I know you said you aren’t good with technology but I’d love to see some photos!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox I have had a hard time taking it off my finger even though it's just in the stone holder, so I think it's safe to say I'm pretty much in love. I'm thinking of borrowing this head because I like the soft square look of it plus the protection: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-54ct-oec-french-cut-ring.227756/ and putting it on a band like this: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...r-milgrain-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49486

I'll need to see CADs though too see if they would look right together.
HA! yes that reluctance to take it off even in a ring holder might suggest you're smitten :P2 I love your inspiration setting - a good cushiony setting with a round setting is delightful. Will you use french cuts, single cuts or full brilliant cuts in the reverse taper pave?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful faceting. I love it. Doesn't look ANYTHING like a MRB to me.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the video is wonderful, it's a gorgeous imho. I wish I could buy it.. no money right now (or the foreseeable future :) due to kitchen reno) my mom had a 1 carat transitional, have no clue what color it was (she lost it in the late 90s) but it's what made me fall in love with diamonds. :love::love:

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks again, everyone!

@fellys If you compare it to higher color diamonds then, yes, there is some tint from the side. But on its own and if you're not looking for it I doesn't really register as being yellow at all. I'll try to get my husband to help me with pics.

@foxinsox I wish I could use french cuts, but I know they are WAY more expensive than rounds so I don't think it will be in the budget. My absolute favorite of all time setting is the VC Sophia, but the least expensive one like it that I've found is still $4k. So I'm not really sure about the other two cuts. Between single and full cuts, which do you think would look better?

@soxfan Thanks for the reassurance on the faceting. And btw I think your OEC ring is stunning.

@Tekate That's too bad that your mom lost her beautiful diamond. But a kitchen reno is fun, too! I have often dreamed of completely restructuring my built in the 1930's kitchen. There are some traditional elements that I love and don't mind at all, and we have done some updating of course, but to move things around the way I would like them is totally cost prohibitive and ultimately impractical, even if I didn't buy diamonds. I'm actually quite jealous you're getting to do yours!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE it! Can't believe it's an M....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results