shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Princess AGS0 VS1 G

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

p4badsha

Rough_Rock
Hello. After searching for weeks I finally have a diamond in mind and would like expert opinions on the diamond. I was hoping to get some opinions on how my diamond performs as compared to the ones listed below. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I attached the 40x, IS, ASET and Sarin in one image. Thank you.

Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 1.01
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: AGS0
Total Depth: 73.9%
Table: 68.3%
Crown Angle: 25.7
Pavillion Angle: 62.2
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

Diamond_1

Diamond_2

Diamond_3

ideal princess vs1 g.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how is it an AGS 0 with EX symmetry and polish?

p4badsha

Rough_Rock
Good question. I dont have the actual cert. I''m a novice. I was given this prelim info. What should polish and symmetry be? Ideal?

Princess 1.01 GVS1 I I I AGS 73.2% 71% 5.71x5.48x4.01

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that I'm really picky about my princesses when I say this...but I just don't love it. The L:W ratio is on the border of being considered non-square, there's too much green in the ASET and not enough red, and there are large areas of leakage (white) in the IS. I think you can do better. If you give us your budget and desired color/clarity/size, we can find you a winner!

ETA: I see now that you posted additional diamonds for comparison. You can't go wrong with any of those, but my favorite in terms of cut quality is probably the first Infinity (F/SI2) - look at all the red in the ASET! Just make sure it's eye-clean. If it's not, I'd look into the GOG stone next.

Also keep in mind that both Wink and GOG will provide videos of the stones under consideration if you ask them. That might be helpful!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if both polish and sym are EX, it could at most get AGS 1...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2009 1:28:36 AM
Author: JulieN
I think if both polish and sym are EX, it could at most get AGS 1...
Ditto.

The WF diamond looks fine but I prefer the other three listed.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 1:26:30 AM
Author: jstarfireb
Keep in mind that I''m really picky about my princesses when I say this...but I just don''t love it. The L:W ratio is on the border of being considered non-square, there''s too much green in the ASET and not enough red, and there are large areas of leakage (white) in the IS. I think you can do better. If you give us your budget and desired color/clarity/size, we can find you a winner!

ETA: I see now that you posted additional diamonds for comparison. You can''t go wrong with any of those, but my favorite in terms of cut quality is probably the first Infinity (F/SI2) - look at all the red in the ASET! Just make sure it''s eye-clean. If it''s not, I''d look into the GOG stone next.

Also keep in mind that both Wink and GOG will provide videos of the stones under consideration if you ask them. That might be helpful!
Ditto to all.

p4badsha

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input. I wasnt too crazy about it either. My budget is $5000 for the diamond. The highperformancediamonds were of concern because i could see imperfections using the loupe. Also, the other diamonds are .90ct. Would i able to tell the diifference in size even though carat weight refers too weight? I spoke to an independent appraiser and he informed the light return was very good to excellent and thought it was worth looking into the diamond i referenced above. However, i did not show him these other diamonds for comparison. I really appreciate the info. I was hoping to find something like this:

.90ct-1.00ct VS1-SI1 D-H AGS0 Ideal Cut. Cut quality is most important and carat size. As long as its eye clean. I just want the best diamond for the money.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 10:19:38 AM
Author: p4badsha
Thank you for your input. I wasnt too crazy about it either. My budget is $5000 for the diamond. The highperformancediamonds were of concern because i could see imperfections using the loupe. Also, the other diamonds are .90ct. Would i able to tell the diifference in size even though carat weight refers too weight? I spoke to an independent appraiser and he informed the light return was very good to excellent and thought it was worth looking into the diamond i referenced above. However, i did not show him these other diamonds for comparison. I really appreciate the info. I was hoping to find something like this:

.90ct-1.00ct VS1-SI1 D-H AGS0 Ideal Cut. Cut quality is most important and carat size. As long as its eye clean. I just want the best diamond for the money.
That is not unusual. If you want a stone where you can't see things when magnified, you'd need to go up in clarity. But as long as you can't see anything with the naked eye, that's what most concentrate on.

It's sort of hard for me to compare the first stones diameter (size) with the others, because it's not square. Of the other 3, the F SI2 stone is facing up the biggest, and the other two are very close to the same size with each other. Set in a ring, you're not going to really see the difference.

They are all well cut. If you wanted bigger, would you consider an I at all?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2009 11:16:48 AM
Author: Ellen

That is not unusual. If you want a stone where you can''t see things when magnified, you''d need to go up in clarity. But as long as you can''t see anything with the naked eye, that''s what most concentrate on.

It''s sort of hard for me to compare the first stones diameter (size) with the others, because it''s not square. Of the other 3, the F SI2 stone is facing up the biggest, and the other two are very close to the same size with each other. Set in a ring, you''re not going to really see the difference.

They are all well cut. If you wanted bigger, would you consider an I at all?
Good *I*dea!
31.gif

p4badsha

Rough_Rock
I am kind of weary of SI2 even though it is eye clean, it would not be mind clean. Same goes for the "I" color. My fiance would be perfectly happy with a 0.90ct, i would be too if it was cut well as you say they are. So i would consider the GOG and the .90ct highperformancediamonds. But, i feel bad that i had another vendor go thru all this trouble of getting the diamond, and the vendor recommends the diamond as well. I could go a little higher $5500 if i had, but I would rather not.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2009 11:44:37 AM
I am kind of weary of SI2 even though it is eye clean, it would not be mind clean. Same goes for the ''I'' color. My fiance would be perfectly happy with a 0.90ct, i would be too if it was cut well as you say they are. So i would consider the GOG and the .90ct highperformancediamonds. But, i feel bad that i had another vendor go thru all this trouble of getting the diamond, and the vendor recommends the diamond as well. I could go a little higher $5500 if i had, but I would rather not.
Ok no problem at all!
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 11:46:01 AM
Author: Lorelei

Ok no problem at all!
35.gif
Ditto, we understand! I just don''t see anything else out there, so I think what you have here are your choices.

p4badsha

Rough_Rock
Do you think i should wait for WF to obtain more inventory. This stone was not in their original inventory. It was brought in from another vendor.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 11:35:38 PM
Do you think i should wait for WF to obtain more inventory. This stone was not in their original inventory. It was brought in from another vendor.
I know they just got some new diamonds in and are working on getting them uploaded on the website, I would contact them and ask if they have anything which might suit you.

milly177

Rough_Rock
Last time I checked with them, I don''t recall them bringing in any notable princesses. Their newest shipment had alot more round diamonds than anything else. I had to ask my SP to search the vendors for a diamond with the cut and quality that I wanted. You should ask for them to search for AGS0 diamonds if that''s what you''re looking for.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 5:08:23 AM
Author: milly177
Last time I checked with them, I don''t recall them bringing in any notable princesses. Their newest shipment had alot more round diamonds than anything else. I had to ask my SP to search the vendors for a diamond with the cut and quality that I wanted. You should ask for them to search for AGS0 diamonds if that''s what you''re looking for.
That''s what I was going to suggest also.

p4badsha

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your comments i appreciate it. I did specifically ask for AGS0. I can look else where as well if WF cannot provide what I am looking for. I am going to follow up with some other vendors. Keep you guys appraised.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2009 11:33:40 AM
Thank you for your comments i appreciate it. I did specifically ask for AGS0. I can look else where as well if WF cannot provide what I am looking for. I am going to follow up with some other vendors. Keep you guys appraised.
Do keep us posted!

p4badsha

Rough_Rock
I had the diamond i showed you all images of brought in for an appraisal. The appraisal is tomorrow. I will let you know what the appraiser says.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 2:18:03 PM
I had the diamond i showed you all images of brought in for an appraisal. The appraisal is tomorrow. I will let you know what the appraiser says.
Let us know how it goes!

p4badsha

Rough_Rock
Met with appraiser. He loved the stone. However, he did confirm the light leakage. Also, he said that the stone faces up very well and that i got a really good deal. The diamond is also laser inscribed. There were some discrepancies, i.e. the AGS report says its a square modified brilliant and the vendor says its a Princess. I also spoke to the appraiser about the GOG diamond and said it will face up better according to the specs, but warned that the inclusions were dead center (SI1) on the diamond.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
So are you keeping it?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 12:57:39 PM
Met with appraiser. He loved the stone. However, he did confirm the light leakage. Also, he said that the stone faces up very well and that i got a really good deal. The diamond is also laser inscribed. There were some discrepancies, i.e. the AGS report says its a square modified brilliant and the vendor says its a Princess. I also spoke to the appraiser about the GOG diamond and said it will face up better according to the specs, but warned that the inclusions were dead center (SI1) on the diamond.
No problem there actually, the labs often refer to these shapes as square modified brilliant and so forth rather than Princess - they mean one and the same thing.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I will not comment on the diamond you are looking at other than to say it can not have the excellent polish and symmetry and still be an AGS 0 so someone is giving you mistaken information or out right lieing to you on that one.

As to your comment about using the loupe and seeing inclusions.

THAT IS WHY WE USE THE LOUPE! We want you to know what is inside your diamonds. Even the picture without the loupe is somewhat magnified so inclusions that are not visible to the eye are in fact visible in the picture. You are more than welcome to call me any time and ask me to look at the diamond for eye visibility questions, so please do not let the fact that we go out of our way to let you see the true inner beauty of your diamond frighten you away from them.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/7/2009 12:57:39 PM
The common myth is that this is a bad thing and makes them easier to see. Actually this is often dead wrong. I have looked at tens of thousands of diamonds and find that inclusions on the side are often much easier to see than similar inclusions in the middle. Myths often seem to make sense, but just are not often true, even though parroted by thousands of people who should know better.

Wink

p4badsha

Rough_Rock
Wink I did not mean to convey that your diamonds were in any way inferior. I am just going by what i know, which isn''t as much as you all know. I am a novice. Ideally, i would have all the diamonds of my choice shipped to an independent appraiser and look at the diamonds myself. Unfortunately, it would be very expensive and is one of the draw backs of buying online. Wink that was one of my concerns that the AGS certificate did not explicitly state that it was an AGS 0 diamond. Can you help me understand why stating excellent polish/excellent symmetry could mean it is not an AGS 0 diamond?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 5:02:22 PM
Wink I did not mean to convey that your diamonds were in any way inferior. I am just going by what i know, which isn't as much as you all know. I am a novice. Ideally, i would have all the diamonds of my choice shipped to an independent appraiser and look at the diamonds myself. Unfortunately, it would be very expensive and is one of the draw backs of buying online. Wink that was one of my concerns that the AGS certificate did not explicitly state that it was an AGS 0 diamond. Can you help me understand why stating excellent polish/excellent symmetry could mean it is not an AGS 0 diamond?
I will answer this in case Wink can't get back soon - Wink is absolutely right p4, a diamond graded by AGS with excellent for polish and symmetry cannot be an AGS 0 cut grade. It can still have an AGS grade or other AGS report but it won't be 0.

www.agslabs.com Further reading

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/7/2009 5:02:22 PM
Wink I did not mean to convey that your diamonds were in any way inferior. I am just going by what i know, which isn''t as much as you all know. I am a novice. Ideally, i would have all the diamonds of my choice shipped to an independent appraiser and look at the diamonds myself. Unfortunately, it would be very expensive and is one of the draw backs of buying online. Wink that was one of my concerns that the AGS certificate did not explicitly state that it was an AGS 0 diamond. Can you help me understand why stating excellent polish/excellent symmetry could mean it is not an AGS 0 diamond?

First a quick thank you to Lorelei for providing a good answer.

Now to elucidate further.

AGS issues several different grades of grading certificates. It is possible to order an AGS cert on which no cut grade is given, and it is not at all unusual to send a diamond in for a Diamond Quality Document which does give the grade, receive a preliminary report that says the diamond will have a cut grade of less than 0 and then change the report requested to one that costs a few dollars less and does not state the cut grade.

However, in my opinion, if the vendor then represented that stone to you as an AGS 0 then that vendor was flat out deceiving you. It is possible however, that the vendor may have correctly told you that the diamond has AGS0 light performance which many AGS 1''s and 2''s do, and then you incorrectly inferred that they told you it was an AGS 0.

Since I can not know which case is correct without having been privy to the discussions I will avoid assuming either possibility.

Paul Slegers of Infinity Diamonds avoids this issue by bravely getting the grading on the cert, no matter if it is AGS 1 or in one case an AGS2 (which I bought and proudly sold at the appropriate price. It had a particularly nasty finish on one facet that was not visible to the eye, but sold at a nice discount. Sometimes you just can not MAKE a diamond take a nice finish and maintain the angles needed to maintain the AGS o light performance. You can easily guess which factor is more important in the eyes of Paul!)

All of his Infinity Brand diamonds will have AGS 0 light performance or they are sold unbranded at the wholesale level and we vendors of his brand never are allowed to see them or buy them, not that we would want to.

Now, you mention that you did not feel my diamonds were inferior and I wish to thank you for that comment. I did not mean to come across as if you had intimated that you did, I just wanted to clarify for others that may be reading this thread and not know why we choose to show so much in our photos.

Also, you mention that it would be very expensive to have diamonds shipped to an independent appraiser. If you have a reputable independent appraiser in your neighborhood, I and many of the other Pricescope vendors will be very happy to send our diamonds to him/her for inspection and you do not need to pay for it unless you wish to keep the diamond. You get to pay the postage of course, but do not need to prepay the diamond. We will have a written agreement with the appraiser NOT to release the diamond until we have received funds here. This makes it MUCH easier for you to compare one diamond with another to see which one makes your heart sing more.
2.gif

Wink

P.S. My apologies to those who bristle at the very word cert or certificate. I know that technically they are not certificates with the legal ramifications that word entails, but I also know that is the term used by the public and by most in the trade so I am choosing intentionally to use that term for the purpose of this post.

p4badsha

Rough_Rock
Wink thank you for your response. I am attaching the AGS report. I apologize if the photo is small as there is a 100kb limit on attachments. Please take a look if anyone wishes. Wink i understand what you are saying about shipping the diamonds to an independent appraiser before paying for them, but it would be $225 a diamond to have it verified and looked at.

AGS report p4badsha.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results