shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on full eternity bands?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
My biggest concern is the difficulty in resizing these. Has this been an issue for any of you? I know during pregnancy, for example, fingers swell and it would be really unfortunate to not be able to wear my rings during that time.

I''d really like to get a 3/4 eternity band to eliminate this issue (but not create too much of a problem with metal showing if the ring spins). I''m having trouble finding these though, and perhaps that''s for a reason of which I''m unaware.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
You''re correct in that an eternity band usually cannot be resized...

I wanted to clarify something...are you planning to purchase a ring and then upon getting pregnant, resize the ring if your fingers swell during the pregnancy? Will you resize it again upon the deliverance of the baby? I guess the reason I''m asking is that you don''t really want to continually size and resize your rings over and over again. You don''t want to weaken the structure of the ring. If you become pregnant, you may want to consider wearing the ring on a necklace if they don''t fit rather than resizing them for a year''s time...

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AChiOAlumna. I''m not planning to have a baby anytime in the immediate future, but I know it will become a concern eventually. About how many times can a person get a platinum ring resized before the metal starts to weaken?

Do you think it''s risky to get a full-eternity band since you can''t resize at all? For example, I find that my ring size got .5 size smaller when I lost 10 pounds. I don''t plan to gain or lose weight anytime soon, but of course it''s always possible. I guess I''m a really cautious person, hehe. :)

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Only you can make that decision...if you believe that you''ll be losing/gaining weight, then maybe a 3/4 or 1/2 eternity band might work better for you...

As for the number of times you can resize a platinumm ring, maybe some of our experts here can better answer that!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would definately feel safer getting a 3/4 band. I''m cautious just like you. My finger size tends to stay pretty consistant but you just never know. I''m in my twenties now, but I''m sure as I get older, my fingers will not always stay girlishly slim. I would like to have the option. I would not size it during pregnancy-just my opinion. Some people choose to wear the ring on a different finger during this period (whichever fits) which I think is a good idea. I also like the necklace idea.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
peony: i am definately considering a 3/4 band or at least leaving a couple of mm of plain band at the base of the rings! i want to have the freedom to resize and 3/4 bands are less money
emstar.gif

i haven''t really started looking into them yet, so i don''t know if they are actually harder to find - i''m sure someone sells them because they are a perfect practical alternative to the full eternity style.

i have a 1/2 diamond band now (just as a RHR) and i wouldn''t get that again because even though it is sized right it spins A LOT.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I have a full eternity ring but I bought it after I became pregnant. I plan on having more kids but hopefully my fingers won't get any bigger.

One thing you have to remember about pregnancy is not only will you most likely have a significant weight gain and loss, but your joints will loosen up and may not completely go back to where they were before you were pregnant. That has been the case with me and many ladies I know. One of my friends, for example, is actually thinner now than she was before she became pregnant (I'm so jealous!
2.gif
) however, she needed to have her wedding set sized up almost a full size b/c her finger ligaments had stretched out. Many times you are able to get back into your pre-pregnancy clothes fairly quickly but they don't fit exactly the same way they once did. You can blame those wonderful hormones, especially the ones that kick in during childbirth.

I'm not sure why vendors don't make 3/4 bands. Custom is always an option if that's the look you really want.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you're really worried about it, i would probably have a 3/4 band custom made. My fingers didn't swell at all while I was pregnant and I wore my wedding rings the whole time. I would suggest not wearing you rings or wearing them around your neck on a chain rather than sizing when your pregnant b/c you won't know whether or not your fiingers will swell or go back to their original size and multple sizing isn't a good idea.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a full eternity band in platinum and wore it before, during, and after 2 pregnancies. My fingers didn't swell much, but if they had, I would've simply put my band aside and purchased a "temporary." Heehee. I can't think of a better excuse to buy another ring! Seriously though, I have stacked eternity bands that each have a little spacer area, and it bugs me to no end when they spin around the spacer part shows. I don't wear those rings anymore because I'm constantly adjusting and turning them back around. Of course, I could just get them sized down, but I like the feeling of a tiny bit of slack in my rings. They fit perfectly when it's hot out.

If I were you, I'd get a full eternity band but just make sure it doesn't fit too snugly...maybe like a .25 size up so you have the teeniest bit of slack. If it spins, it'd be all right since the diamonds go all the way around....and you'll have the extra room you'll need if you swell during pregnancy or gain a bit of weight.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2005 9:40:40 AM
Author: KristyDarling

If I were you, I''d get a full eternity band but just make sure it doesn''t fit too snugly...maybe like a .25 size up so you have the teeniest bit of slack. If it spins, it''d be all right since the diamonds go all the way around....and you''ll have the extra room you''ll need if you swell during pregnancy or gain a bit of weight.

this it what I did. I have a full eternity but went up 1/4 of a size.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The beauty of a eternity ring is the endless circle of diamonds and it''s meaning. Style wise if the ring turns on your finger, which it will, is you always see diamonds. As far as sizing it depends on the style of eternity ring you wish to use. A channel setting can be sized from the inside by grinding out the metal and most of these rings of this style have additional thickness for this in mind. With laser technology the rings can be sized but 1/2 size at most for you do not want to destroy the integrity of the channel and keep the diamonds secure.

Pave set eternity rings also can be sized but it is only by laser and the pave ring must be very well made. Shared prongs and "U" mountings are much more difficult and would in most situations be sized by carving out from the inside.

As far as wearing rings while pregnant you''ll have to judge the amount of weight you put on. Generally through the first 5 to 7 months they will be a bit tight. If more weight is added the suggestion is to take them off. 9 months on, 9 months off is the old adage. Body type and commitment to exercise play a large role in returning to your intended weight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results