shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Diamond

Orion26

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I'm looking at purchasing a MMD soon and considering the below. I don't yet have real images to share or anything, but wanted to see if anyone sees any red flags with this.

1.61 carat
F color
VVS2
Ideal Cut (IGI)
Excellent polish, excellent symmetry
HCA 1.7
Table: 56%
Depth: 61.1%
Crown angle: 33.5
Pavilion angle: 41.1

Thanks!

upload_2019-3-18_20-26-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-18_20-24-33.png
    upload_2019-3-18_20-24-33.png
    558.9 KB · Views: 43

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is generally a view that labs other than GIA and AGS are 'softer' on colour and clarity - on that basis, and IMHO, I think it is a good idea to aim for high colour and high clarity grades from whichever lab graded the MMD one is looking at (until GIA actually start grading MMDs properly :rolleyes:). This should also reduce risk of any brown tint being evident, which can be the case with some CVD diamonds, I believe.

On that basis, F VVS2 is a good place to be - even if the grading is a bit soft, it should still not have much tint and should be eye-clean, although images will be needed to confirm this, and real-life assessment in your hands would be the final deciding factor.

An ASETscope image would help confirm faceting accuracy, if it is possible to get one from the vendor - if not, you could buy an ASETscope yourself for a reasonable sum of money, as that way you could also assess other stones at home.

The HCA score under 2 indicates the angles work together, but you should be aware that a lower crown (which a 33.x crown is) is likely to mean more white light being returned than coloured fire. It will be offset to some extent in this stone because the table is not very large (which increases the star facet size and the upper girdle facet size, increasing the opportunity for dispersion of white light into coloured fans), so it might be a 'balanced' stone in terms of fire vs white light. Again, video will help assess this.

Orion26

Rough_Rock
@OoohShiny I really appreciate the thorough answer. I took your advice and received videos and an ASET.

Please let me know your thoughts.

https://www.augustvintageinc.com/pr...JqgfQ318BMoL5QtibFXuGytz3tcAD62C6gxgXwzAwFiy4

The diamond is in the middle, compared with D and G
55498115_636004146822485_3372704914080792576_n.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah! I'm really not good at discerning a slightly over-lit ASET from one showing leakage!

The HCA score of 1.7 indicates the Crown and Pavilion angles work together, so I feel fairly confident that the ASET is just a bit over-bright rather than showing leakage under the table, but I'd like someone better versed in these things to confirm for sure!

I don't think @Karl_K can comment on this particular stone, but he might be able / willing / kind enough to explain how to tell the difference between leakage and excess light in an ASET!

The videos look good, though, and the profile picture definitely shows it to be much closer to the D than the G, which I'm quite impressed with :) (although also note that the G could be a 'low G' rather than a 'high G', with each colour band being a range, which widens as the colours get lower).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think @Karl_K can comment on this particular stone, but he might be able / willing / kind enough to explain how to tell the difference between leakage and excess light in an ASET!
About the ASET:
Back light isn't over bright, someone went a little far boosting the red in the image and removed the blue top on the scope so the arrows are black.
Some under table leakage but not a lot.

Orion26

Rough_Rock
Really appreciate the general insight @Karl_K.

@OoohShiny Can you interpret and explain how this may factor into my decision?

Thanks!!!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good catch by Karl! I completely failed to notice that... lol

Without the blue it's harder to interpret the ASET fully but at least the under the table leakage is only a little bit :) A lot of leakage can create a dark ring under the table but I would say this stone is not dissimilar to many GIA XXXs - not perfect but should still perform so that it looks good. The HCA score suggests it should not present much of a problem, I reckon.

I can't remember what the Returns policies are on the MMDs at AVInc. - if you can purchase and review in your own home with the ability to return it / swap it if you're not 100% blown away, that would be ace, but it might be that they are 'Final Sale' only??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results